Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Vibes a Drummer's next instrument or the keyboard players next instrument?

Jazzman

Years ago my older brother told me that the Vibes are a drummer's next instrument that he/she would play on.

The vibes are set up as a keyboard, but the mallets are what drummers use, as well as striking the instrument in patterns.

I still think that this instrument is a keyboard player's next in line instrument. The mallets are an extension of the fingers, right? :confused:

What do you believe?

Do any of you folks have and/or play the Vibes? I don't have a set myself, but play the Vibes on a patch on one of my synths thru a keyboard controller. I use my sustain pedal and some reverb on the keys to simulate the real thing in my studio.

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, both the drums and piano are percussion instruments, and mallet percussion has similarities to unpitched percussion instruments like drumkit and keyboard instruments like the piano.

History shows that vibes players who came from other instruments came from drums, primarily: Cal Tjader and Lionel Hampton are the two who stand out in my mind.

I don't think it really makes a difference whose second instrument it is -- if you want to play vibes, play vibes! :D

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I agree that drums, vibes and piano are all percussive instruments. While vibes may seem like a logical progression I think piano/keyboards makes much more sense.

I taught myself keyboards after many years of playing drums (I also learned guitar along the way). Over the years, I saw that drummers were a dime a dozen and guitar players seem to come out of the woodwork - but keyboard players are in huge demand.

Since learning keyboards I've had more gig opportunities than I could have anticipated. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get many calls as a vibe player (I'm thinking trombone players have a better chance of getting called).

I still get many calls as a drummer (and I prefer drum gigs because I'm a better drummer than keyboard player - and candidly drum gigs don't require as much rehearsal, reading, etc)- but if I choose to just play keys I could probably work as much as I want (if not more).

Super 8, I was talking to the bass player in my funk band a while ago, because he's also a great beatboxer. I asked him if he thought if he could do both, and he said probably not because he thinks of bass as a rhythmic thing, so trying to do two different "beats," as it were, at the same time would be pretty darn complicated.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I think that most great vibest have been percussion trained through-out history.

The proper use of mallets, especially that of performing 4 mallet technique and rudimentary patterns, would dictate percussion studies.

I would love to own a set of vibes. Always wanted a set. I have also wanted a MalletKat. This would allow me much more diversity without the space requirements!

DJ

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a band on TV that had a set of electronic vibs on stage. The guy used them like a keyboard for violin, and synth sounds. Sounded real cool and played along with the drummer, complimenting each other. I never seen a set like that before. Where do you begin to look for an electronic set like that?

Jazzman :cool:

Archived