Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do people pick out a band or group name?

Jazzman

Some band names to me are silly, and goofy. Some people try to get a name that sticks to the public. Some are downright simple. Do you pick a band name that represents the type of music that you play or just the feeling that you have as a musician, drummer. "The banging Heads" :rolleyes: comes to mind......don't know if there is such a group, but is catchy if the drummer is the leader of the group.

What are your thoughts? Do you wish that your group picked a different name because it sounds goofy to you and others? Did you ever think about it if you get famous?

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard somewhere that the Goo Goo Dolls hated their name...it was never supposed to be permanent. But, they're stuck with it now.

Usually, "band naming" sessions start somewhat seriously, and very rapidly deteriorate into hilarity.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Usually, "band naming" sessions start somewhat seriously, and very rapidly deteriorate into hilarity.

LOL... yeah, you got that right. Our name actually came out of one of those "rapidly deteriorating into hilarity" sessions - bet you find that shocking, don't you? :D Since we are really into The Who, our bass player said jokingly that we should be called "The What." Which led to me saying, "Or, 'What The...?'" WHICH WAS ALSO A JOKE. But then of course, the guys said, "THAT'S IT!" and it stuck... LOL.

Generally with the bands I've been in, we try to pick names that somehow reflect the vibe of the music. One of my favorite names of a band I was in, was "Luxury For Less." It was copped from a sign on a roadside motel, but it really summed up what we were trying to go for musically.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Since we are really into The Who, our bass player said jokingly that we should be called "The What." Which led to me saying, "Or, 'What The...?'"

I always thought 'The The' was a great name.

'Mothers of Invention' was a BRILLIANT name -both self explanatory and subversive at the same time!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Most of the bands I've been in have had sort of obvious names- the singer's name, the exit where we rehearsed.

We never came up with a band name during one of those naming sessions. Had some good laughs, but there was just too much pressure or something.

The best names came from thin air. Just one day somebody said something and it just hung there in silence and everyone realized hey, there it is: the perfect name.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived