Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question from a bass player

NickT

First off...hello to all my rhythm twins at Drum Talk, drummers rock.

When you're playing grooves, how much should the bass player follow you (in particular the kick)?

Do you want your bass player to play with the kick or to add shading around it (whilst being sympathetic to the groove of course)?

Do you want the bass player to hold down a repeated groove and allow you to react to the vocal/top line, or do you wanna sit there holding it all down and allow him/her to duck and weave?

Personally I prefer a drummer to play pretty straight when we're grooving, as I come subscribe to the Motown theory of the bass as a moving counterpoint. I will naturally hit the 1 and then shade around the kick, trying to make the bass guitar and the kick fit around each other rather than doubling the rhythm from the kick.

I do think sometimes that this way of approaching the bass may confuse some drummers a bit into thinking that I ain't listening to them, when in fact I am listening and playing around them.

What do you guys want from your bass players?

Please feel free to come and pick the "brains" of the bass player on the our forum.

PS: Can I be contarversial and say that Matt Cameron is the best rock drummer of all time. Better time than Bonham, more groove than Dave Ghrol and the dude from Tool is cool, but Sir Matt makes the odd times and changes feel so much better. HE ROCKS LIKE A GOOD'UN

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naturally there is no right answer since each tune requires what ever is right.

However, the way you play is what I look for. I don't think the bass and kick have to play every note together. Certainly hitting the one is very important to lock on (for both kcik & bass) - but as a rule I like for the bass and the drums to "slide around" the groove.

Since I grew up on the Motown sound, I agree that the drums and bass need to keep a reasonably simple groove (no need for too much clutter), with the drums reallly locking on the beat and the bass dancing to the beat.

The best bass players I've worked with know when to hold the bottom (to let the drums float a little) and when to leave the groove to the drums.

As much as I enjoy a bass player who pops and slaps, there is nothing worse than a rhythm section where everyone is playing too busy.

My thoughts:

1) Most of the time, it sounds best and grooves hardest when the bass drum and bass guitar are locked in - at least for most of a song.

2) If one is playing a busy line, the other should back off. If you are playing an ass-backwards syncopated Jaco line, the perfect thing to set it off from the drummer might just be two-and-four.

3) Busy-sounding unison licks can sound really cool at the right time.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

"As much as I enjoy a bass player who pops and slaps, there is nothing worse than a rhythm section where everyone is playing too busy. "

Ahh...the key ingredient for the Dave Matthews Band... :rolleyes::bor:

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

NickT:

Your question if very subjective.

I think it really depends on the type of music your playing.

Fusion or Jazz is more on this point/counterpoint situation.

Rock/Country/Top40 is more straight ahead.

Most bands that I have played with prefer a straight ahead 2 and 4 locked.

I view the bass player and drummer as two horses pulling a wagon. You both got to be going in the same direction. Even if you are weaving around each other.

That is my nickels worth!

DJ

Archived