Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DJ to be a drummer dad!

djarrett

Wow, whodathunkit!

Just confirmed today that at the young age of 40 ... I am going to become a dad!

Totally unplanned (did not think it possible for Holly to become pregnant)!

Any advise for a late ager entering the world of having a child (short of teaching paradiddles at an early age)?

Shocked!

DJ

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful news DJ!

My brother has a new addition to his family and I've become "Uncle Chris". :) A baby girl, 6 pounds 2 ounces named Elizabeth. :) I've already told my brother that I'm gonna teach her to play drums and guitar and then hand her back! :D

Just keep the kid fed, warm, and dry and he/she will be happy!

(just for the record, I've got no kids of my own)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Holy cow DJ! Congrats! What a thing to hit you at this time in life, eh?

Well I don't have any kids either, but I do have a friend who became a mom for the first time at 40. Dad is around the same age. Their daughter is now 5 and doing just great, and my friend is actually really glad she had a kid at the time she did. When she was younger she really didn't have her act together as much as she does now, and doesn't think she could have been as good a parent. Also, having a kid puts her back in touch with youthful ways of thinking at a time when a lot of people start to get stuck in mental ruts.

I know you will make a fantastic dad, DJ! Our drummer is a dad and kids just love the drums... any time we get around kids they just seem to gravitate right toward the drum kit and want to play it and know all about it. In fact every drummer I know with kids, the kids are really great and tend to start playing drums at a really young age (like Bart's kid!)

Funny thing, I just turned 40 myself and a few days later a drummer friend of mine had his first child (well, uhh, his wife did! LOL...). It'll be nice to have a baby to hang out with again... most of my friends these days either don't have kids or their kids are older.

Congrats again! Looking forward to hearing about all your adventures. :thu:

Whoa................now you've done it!!!!

First off, the best to you and the family. :thu:

Just for the record.....I have two sons one 20 the other 23. My one son told me he is going to college to get a life......I told him he is going to college to get a job!!!

Both in college now and both could care less obout the family.............help around the house....forget it, they have friends and want to get a life, they use their friends as examples for obtaining wealth and knoweldge........except when they look for dad to do the :

1. College payments

2. Housing payments...dorms.....apartments

3. Food expenses, furnishings, and expendible items

4. Clothing expenses

5. Cell, and phone bills

6. Help out with 4 cars, towing fees, missed payments,the kids changing cars every year, probation, rides here and there, etc.

7. Money for movies, gas, missed insurance payments on high performance cars.

8. Give them money for one thing that they really need and they spend it on something else they don't.

9. I ask for help with cleaning leaves in the gutter......no way, how about a birthday card for their mother......no way.........how about help cutting the grass........no way, how about picking up lunch for the family......no way, how about comming home at a reasonable hour......no way, how about sleep-ins at other friends house, stay out all night and get up at noon time and the wife says let them sleep in. The wife gets me up early after I'm up all night worrying about them staying out until 2 in the morning!

10. When they come home with bad grades, they get angry about me asking why they are not studing harder. Or, let me see your homework, you say you got a good grade ...show me.

Here is how one son thinks. He goes to visit a friend 2 hrs away, the guy he is visiting is studing for those two hours, when my son gets there, he goofs off for a couple hours, then drives home for another two hours. Meanwell the guy he visited studied for 4 hours while my son didn't do anything except goof off for 6......then he wonders why his grades are bad, and gets angry at me for telling them this!!! Go figure.

For you...

Let me see.......going through your childhood all over again.......schools........meeting people you never dreamed you'd meet....doctors, baby sitters, the wife doesn't like how the baby sitter takes care of the child and desides to quit work to take care of the child. School issues, fighting in school, no home work, you staying up late to help with math, science, english subjects when you came home to just relax. So you've accomplished nothing that you originally wanted to do that evening.

Did I forget...toys......more toys......more toys....even more toys...fighting over each others toys.....then when they get older........their opinion, their friends opinions........your wife gives you her opinion, they can't stand being around you.........bigger toys......bigger expensive toys, you help with gas, help with oil changes, fix the clutch, transmittion, the breaks, their personal problems, their issues with their friends, their friends come over that you don't like, helping out their friends and their issues, wonder who your sons/daughters are hanging around with, should I worry.....bills............more bills...........bigger bills...............their living at home......still living at home........dang, when are they going to leave......it ends up that the parents leave them instead..........HAHA!!!

All of the kidding aside DJ. I would like to extend from my home to yours in wishing you the very best to you and the wife.

Cheers to health, happeness, and a large bank-roll. Your gonna need it, my frind. You can't trade kids in for a better model!!! The luck of the draw.

Oh by the way, your life WILL CHANGE FOREVER!!!!! It is a matter of how much you will get beat up for the rest of your life.

Oh did I forget....my studio still needs drywall, waiting for one client to pay me for services rendered(I have the material in the studio), and one DA88 needs service, one of my drums has a lug broken,.....no money, no friends, the wife is angry at me, my regular job sucks, kids don't say anything about college, never call home(although their phone bill is $200), come home long enough to wash their cloths, and I still don't have my own album finished!

Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Pull this thread out when you are having a bad day.......

Jazzman :cool:

Chrissakes, Jazzman...you make suicide sound good.

Congrats, DJ...at almost 40 (7.28)), my wife (33) and I are planning on two (don't wanna be outnumbered). It'll be my first...as soon as we get a lawsuit against an insurance company settled, we gonna git jiggy wit it. Nomesayin'?

In essence...right behind ya. :D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Just remember the sage wisdom of Gallagher:

"Now I know why God makes babies so cute - it's so you don't kill 'em."

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• 4 months later...

Hey, Bart!!!!!!

Man, You have lived in this town a year ... and we still have not hooked up!

We are either too busy, too lame, or just plain pathetic!

It is going to be a healthy baby boy. Due sometime in the beginning of December.

Call me!

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

You have lived in this town a year ... and we still have not hooked up! We are either too busy, too lame, or just plain pathetic!

I can only speak for myself, but I am all three ... busy, lame and pathetic. :wave:

Yep ... it will be one full year that I've been here in just another week; hard to believe.

Congratulations on the baby to be. We are wanting a second one, God willing. I'll give you a call soon!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

HEY DJ,

CONGRATS!!! Have you decided what his first drum kit might be? I've heard that drums make great alarm clocks for parents. My wife and I are going for it just as soon as she gets her degree. You see, she only wants 2 kids but I want to produce a band! Is there anything wrong with that?

ss

Hey, SS:

I guess I am going to have to go for the one-off (spring that is) superstar performer. Cause I think one will be all for us. I am 40 and my wife is 37. We are a little late to consider an entire band!

But, You go for it!

DJ

Wow! Guess I missed this one!

Still not too late to say congrats though... Congrats to both of you!

I'm 36 and my wife just had our second 3 months ago. Our first child is 2 years old. So obviously we didn't get an early start in the child bearing thing.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I do sometimes wish that we had our children in our twenties. But that's only because I love them so very much that I would like to have spent more of my life with them.

Yes, as you are almost certainly aware, having a child will change your life. You will discover a depth of love that you never knew you were capable of. I knew all of this going in... But the PROFUNDITY of those feelings was greater than I anticipated. It is a totally amazing thing!

Just enjoy the ride! Go to the Doctor's visits. Listen to the heartbeat! Take pictures. Absorb the experience!

Keep us all up to date!!!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• 2 weeks later...

Archived