Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

beginning drummer question

sudeep

Hi All,

this is my first post of this forum...though im a regular on the Keyboard Corner. I have recently purchased my first drum kit. Im not aiming to become a Jeff Porcaro or anything, i am simply trying to strengthen my timing and groove when I play my chosen instruments (keys/guitar)...but im enjoying playing the drums as well.

Now heres my question...when u step on the kick drum to produce the sound...should your foot actually raise above the pedal (ie. lose contact with the pedal) or should remain in contact with the pedal at all times . The reason i ask is, I dont have much strength in my right foot and ankle hence lift the foot high off the pedal (pivoting off the ball of the heel) to strike it hard to make a sound. But the problem with this is, that the little (stick) which strikes the drum vibrates and keeps hitting my foot. Have i set it up incorrectly. Also if i do it this way i really couldnt imagine myself playing faster beats.

Man I hope this makes sense!!! IF it doesnt...could u just give me some tips on correct technique of playing the kick drum.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just started playing the drums this year myself, but I'm getting pretty good at it. There are two techniques to playing the kick drum, heel up or heel down. I play heel down. This means that my heel always rests on the back of the kick pedal. My foot never really comes off of the pedal.

The other technique is heel up, and this means that you play with your whole leg, not just your ankle and foot. You keep your ankle sort of rigid and come down with your foot on the pedal. This is capable of a lot of power.

The reason i ask is, I dont have much strength in my right foot and ankle hence lift the foot high off the pedal (pivoting off the ball of the heel) to strike it hard to make a sound. But the problem with this is, that the little (stick) which strikes the drum vibrates and keeps hitting my foot. Have i set it up incorrectly. Also if i do it this way i really couldnt imagine myself playing faster beats.
What do you mean by "the little stick"? You should have a beater on the kick pedal that's either wood or felt. I've got my kick pedal set up so that at rest, the beater is at a 45 degree angle to the face of the bass drum. You might want to tighten the tension spring on the side of your kick pedal.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Interesting question.

I'm a heel down player. Even so, my heel does leave the pedal from time to time. The 'little stick' you refer to, I sure you mean the beater or mallet. I gather from your post that you are sort of 'kicking' or 'shoving' the beater into the head and letting it bounce back. Correct?

It requires a lot of control to do this, and it's not completely correct. While the correct way IS to have the beater hit the drum head and NOT remain there, so the head can resonate, your foot stays in contact with the pedal. Basically, your foot is ALWAYS in control. The pedal never moves freely on it's own. This is hard to explain. It's a 'feel' thing.

I think it's more important for you to focus on playing in time, and playing SLOWLY. You are currently developing motor skills that are very gross compared to with the fine motor skills it takes to exercise that much control over a bass drum pedal. Just your foot down on the 1 and the 3 for awhile until you can establish a solid groove, and don't worry about the details of the beater bouncing off -let it stay against the head.

Once you've got a feel for that, THEN start working on the fine stuff. And remember to practice slow.

Hope this was helpful.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I used to play heel up, was able to get some real bass drum action, and get the sharp wap of the drum. Not to mention speed. Now I play heel down in Jazz.

Personally I think I get better control, speed and consistant playing with the heel up.

Jazzman :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys...thanks for your help...very informative stuff...Super 8 your assessment of what i was doing was spot on. I have a very weak right ankle...from a combination of a couple of sporting injuries...and years and years of bad piano/pedal technique...so i am definitely trying the heel up style...otherwise i can barely hear the bass drum.

Archived