Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you spend money on your first set of drums?

techristian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandparents gave my mum and dad a set of cooking pans for their wedding in '68 I started using them in 75, sometimes when I go home to visit mum she says,boy you look skinny and hands me over one of those pans filled with soup,...

So yeah this kit is still in use ;)

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Actually, I didn't buy my drums myself or have someone buy them for me, in a sense. My dad played awhile back and now I have his old set. However, I've made quite a few adjustments of my own that I purchased, such as new stands, hardware, cymbals, drumheads, etc.

• 1 month later...

My parents bought my first set for me. They paid $250.00 for it back in 1963 (I was 13yrs old) there abouts. Red sparkle set(No name set). Sold the set when I moved from Pittsburgh PA. to Michigan when I was 21. What a mistake! After I was married for 15 years did I realize that I was missing something.........music and drums. Now I own a studio with a seven piece set of Pearl Export Series with 10 cymbals around it. I like the set alot. Use them in the studio now. I wish I had the other set though.

Jazzman :cool:

My parents got me a set of red sparkle Ludwigs--1970, blue and olive badge--in '74, for my 11th birthday. I still have them, they're still my main kit, nevermind that I once owned a set of black chrome Slingerlands that Stewart Copeland had borrowed from Wishbone Ash in the very early Police days, and nevermind that I lust mightily after a nice set of DW's.

Yes...money well spent at the onset usually begets persistence of craft. I may be one of the exceptions to that theory :rolleyes:

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I spent a whole bunch of my own money on my drum kit, but I'm not a drummer. I've been playing guitar for 28 years, but my parents bought me my first guitar.

So where does that leave your theory Dan? :D

Granted, if I could have gotten paid for all the hours I spent bugging my parents to buy me that first guitar, I could have probably bought a much nicer guitar! :)

I was mainly a guitarist and bassist, but usually I lived at the rehearsal spot and the drums got left there a lot. So my first eight or twelve kits were other people's kits.

They didn't charge.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

My first kit was a Schaffer and Sons 5 piece kit. My parents bought it for me in 1988, my 9th grade year (13 yrs old) for Christmas. They spent about $350 or so on it. I have bought 3 kits since then, with my own money. That first kit? I sold it a couple years later to a guitar-playing classmate for $500. I had upgraded it with Tama hardware and Remo heads, as well as no-name cymbals (14 and 16 crashes and a mystery set of hi hats from a girl who had painted them pink).

I was so grateful for that first kit and it only made me want to buy a better one. I have cherished my equipment ever since . . . now I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute with Sabian HHX cymbals, and a Roland V-Custom kit.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

You know ... my folks bought me my first set ... a sears special with paper heads ... that I promptly broke within the first couple of days.

Then there was the cool set of "tupperware" melodic toms set~! ;^)

My first real set came from my parents attending a dance at a night club ... where they learned that the drummer was dying of cancer. They made arrangements with him to purchase the kit upon his death from his family. (boy ... wish I had kept that set).

I was lucky that I had a tremendous band director in high school who pushed me to improve. He allowed me to take the high school set home during summer vacation, or take home the multi-tenors to practice on over the weekends.

I think alot of a drummers "sticktoitivness" will come ... not from the financial investment, but from the support and encouragement from the folks around him/her.

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

My 1st kit was a hand me down from my dad (he was a big band drummer) - I got that when I was 5 (1957). In 1967 I "borrowed" his good set and went on the road (hey - I left him the kit he gave me) - he was very mad for a very long time.

I went on to buy about a dozen kits over the years - and have gigged full time (7 years) part time for the last 28 years. That 1st kit is what really started this 45 year love affair with music.

Fortunately my dad finally forgave my youthful indiscretion (although it took a whole lotta years - not that I can really blame him for holding a grudge). In fact in later years before he passed, he and I shared some great "road stories" - and most of his was better than mine, since he played in many "speakeasy establishments" owned by "the mob"

I do agree that a kid having to put some money into that 1st instrument may not only give them incentive to stick with it - but can give a real indication on how serious they may be to start with.

I've worked in a music store and I saw many times when mom & dad were footing the bill the kids seemd less than inspired, to the point of being rather indifferent about which kit, which cymbals, etc.

However, when the kids were buying thier own kit, they seemed more motivated, more serious about it and in many cases made a point of becoming more knowledgable about the different kits/cymbals etc.

I'll never know if who paid made a difference as far as "sticking with it" over the long haul, but many of the kids who paid for thier own kits tended to come back to add cymbals, etc - whereas most of the kids who had mom & dad pay did not seem to become "regulars"

Heh, I don't play drums yet...but I drop in here all the time...

Basically, I agree. When I started on bass, I had an Ibanez bass...better than a beginner bass and a Crate amp...nothing too great, but it was enough to get me started. In that, I wanted to get out and play with people, but didn't have the volume I needed out of my 15 watt combo. So I decided to sink $1500 into a nice Gallien-Krueger rig and rack case with tuner and haven't looked back since.

On the other hand, I was handed an alto sax and played it somewhat forced for the past eight years until a few years ago, where I earned the first chair alto sax, and decided my cheap Bundy II wasn't enough, so I sunk another $1500 on a Sterling Silver Jupiter alto, and ever since have loved the sax.

AND...my older brother was handed an American Strat and Marshall half stack...played every day for a week and guess who uses it now :D

\m/ Timothy Lyons

I got my set from my older brother when he stopped playing drums (right around when I went into high school)

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Archived