Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Grohl

TMWdrmr8

Was anyone as pleased as I was last night to see Dave Grohl win that Grammy for best hard rock song with the Foo Fighters? I've loved his style and aggressiveness since the Nirvana days, and his drumming with Queens of the Stone Age is just great. Glad he's still doing so well after all these years. :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you say, "blows Kurt Cobain out of the water?" After FF came out, I became firmly convinced that the wrong member of Nirvana had been in charge.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Jode, I agree. I might add that, musically speaking, perhaps Grohl was more "in charge" of Nirvana than he gets credit for. I think his musical input and cohesive drumming added more to Nirvana's post-Bleach repertoire than most people are aware.

The thing is, Cobain was pure raw emotion, whereas Dave Grohl has really got his shit together. Dave Grohl rocks: great drummer, great rhythm guitar player, great singer, and inspired songwriter.

I've never been in a Foo Fighters/Nirvana debate, but FF to me is just a pale copy - like when your Xerox is running out of ink and not all of the original is still viewable on the copy. I like the FF, but they're just a more accessible Nirvana. More accessible and less intimate. Still good, mind you. Back to the original topic.... there is no way Nirvana could have had its impact (no pun) without Grohl who is a great drummer.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Matt, I basically agree with you, sort of. If you read the second paragraph of my last post again, you might see what I mean.

I love Nirvana, too, because of Cobain's raw, uninhibited emotion, seething in every spine-tingling song. Now, Foo Fighters I love because they just flat out rock, with a very tight, very smart, adrenaline-fueled edge.

Nirvana went through an incredible downward spiral.

Foo Fighters are in an amazing upward spiral!

I was late to the Grunge thing. I am not neccesarily a fan of Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. I was watching a classic rerun of Satuday Night Live about a year ago. It was the Nirvana episode.

I was just blown away bye Dave Grohl. He had more fire, passion and just plain musicality than anyone on that stage. I was so impressed at his commitment to those songs, and the talent he displayed in them.

He is definitely a talented fella.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

I regard to what Jotown said, I've seen that SNL episode too. I don't think Grohl looked out from behind his the whole time - you could tell he was totally focused and into what he was doing.

I also like the fact that he's not afraid to step away from what he's doing (Foo Fighters) for a minute to try something different (aka Q.O.T.S.A). If you listen to some of the tracks from Songs For the Deaf, its not your typical hard rock...there's some really nice melodies and shifting time signitures.

Originally posted by dBunny:

Jode, I agree. I might add that, musically speaking, perhaps Grohl was more "in charge" of Nirvana than he gets credit for. I think his musical input and cohesive drumming added more to Nirvana's post-Bleach repertoire than most people are aware.

& he was the secret vocalist, too.

Hi, Steve. I'm just curious what you're basing that opinion on. Did you see a bad Nirvana performance, or something?

Although they may have been gratuitously edited and looped by Butch Vig, those fantastic drum tracks on Nevermind didn't just appear out of thin air. Yaknowhatimean? :)

I don't see what the point is of making this into a "Grohl vs. Cobain" argument. Kurt Cobain was an extremely gifted dude, and so is Grohl. If you admire Dave Grohl it would be silly not to acknowledge the fact that Grohl obviously respected Cobain or he wouldn't have been in a band with him.

That having been said, Dave rulez. :D I agree, he's a fantastic drummer and songwriter and actually seems to have his head screwed on straight too. The only thing I didn't like about Foo Fighters was not getting to see him behind the drums, so I think it's great what he's doing with Q.O.T.S.A.

Nice to have somebody out there who's worth rooting for!

Hi, Steve. I'm just curious what you're basing that opinion on. Did you see a bad Nirvana performance, or something?

Although they may have been gratuitously edited and looped by Butch Vig, those fantastic drum tracks on Nevermind didn't just appear out of thin air. Yaknowhatimean? :)

Yeah I know what you mean...I guess? If it's true that the drum tracks on those Nirvana albums were edited and looped then that is REALLY lame.

I base my opinion of his playing on Nirvana shows I saw, the first was a TV concert...the second I was there and I heard a few bootleg tapes.

I recently listened some of the QOTSA stuff and have to admit he sounds fantastic, so he's gotten better...his drums weren't edited and looped on that stuff too were they???

As a music fan I'm always shattered when I'm told someone used studio tricks like that on Rock records...it's so not RocknRoll.

When I saw him with Nirvana it was live. No loops. And Dave Grohl flat out kicked all ass. Cobain was still alive, (of course) so that had to be about 9 years ago.

I am not a fan of Nirvana, or the Foo Fighters, and I haven't even heard a QOTSA song that I know of. I am just basing my opinion on the SNL appearance.

I am a fan of musicianship, and Dave Grohl has that. Maybe he took some secret Buddy Rich pills that night, :rolleyes: but I doubt it.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

No loops on any Nirvana stuff (with possible exception of that new 'previously unreleased' track). And no samples either, regardless of what you may have heard. My info is straight from Wallace's mouth. Anyway - yeah, QOTSA rocks! I wish they could have bribed Grohl to tour with them...
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

"I like the FF, but they're just a more accessible Nirvana."

And that's just fine for someone like me for whom Nirvana had limited appeal. I can listen to a full FF album, whereas I couldn't with Nirvana.

To me, accessibility is not the issue; there's originality, there's accessibility, then there's pandering...pandering has been the death of radio and pop music, originality is at the painful birth (recognition) process point, and accessibility falls right inbetween. For someone like me, accessibility is a breather from either end.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well, I'm gonna take The Matt's word for it. No loops in Nirvana stuff.

It's good to clear that up. That just makes Grohl's drumming even more impressive. Nevermind has some very tight drum tracks. I wonder if they were comped at all.

[bTW, I doubt QOTSA used any drum looping.]

And I agree that it's pointless to compare Nirvana and Foo Fighters.

I listened to the new Foo album again last night. It rocks hard with a lot of great harmonic content. Go, Dave! :thu:

Drums on Nevermind comp'ed - no. Recorded to Studer A27 24 track from Neve preamps with traditional mic'ing method (57 and 451 on snare, d12 and U47 on kick with kick tunnel, 414's and KM84's for cymbals/overheads, etc.). Don't forget, this was when bands usually had to be good to get signed (hairband era).

OFFRAMP:

I like your thoughts on the three types of bands/music. Very well put.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by NE-One:

Drums on Nevermind comp'ed - no. Recorded to Studer A27 24 track from Neve preamps with traditional mic'ing method (57 and 451 on snare, d12 and U47 on kick with kick tunnel, 414's and KM84's for cymbals/overheads, etc.). Don't forget, this was when bands usually had to be good to get signed (hairband era).

OFFRAMP:

I like your thoughts on the three types of bands/music. Very well put.

Then what's with the story about Vig bringing in an experimental laptop hard disc recorder during tracking? Could that have fueled these stories?

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I saw the Foo Fighters in Atlanta and was totally underwelmed. Dave played a couple of songs on drums. He is on OK drummer but the regular drummer was much better IMO. My problem with them is I've never heard any really good songwriting. I was booooooooord! Curt Cobain had a few cool songs but was in no way the musical genius that it's so popular make him out to be. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to check in and say that I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan. Dave is one of my biggest inspirations. He and Taylor Hawkins (FF drummer) are huge fans of each other's drumming and they totally give each other credit for their respective strengths. I totally dig Nate Mendel's bass playing. And as far as music preference, I listen to all kinds of stuff from jazz to classic rock to whatever, but Foo Fighters is a band whose tunes I can listen to over and over, any time, and still love the music just as much.

My Hero

Everlong

All My Life

Aurora

Times Like These

Generator

Learn To Fly

X-Static

. . . and on and on, and on, and on, and on . . .

Hell, yeah, I remember Aurora . . .

(Aurora, There Is Nothing Left To Lose)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by dino321:

My problem with them is I've never heard any really good songwriting.

Seriously, so what's not good about:

"Everlong"

"I'll Stick Around"

"Monkey Wrench"

"My Hero"

"Learn To Fly"

?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

So I'm thinking about getting the Queens Of The Stone Age cd featuring Dave Grohl on drums. I've heard it's good. I've never heard any of it. Those of you who have, how does it compare to Foo Fighters? And knowing that I love Foo Fighters, do you think I'll like QOTSA? The other thing is, I don't like profanity in lyrics -- is it there in QOTSA's lyrics?

Let me know if you know.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

[bTW, I doubt QOTSA used any drum looping.]

maybe not but definately used soundreplacer on the drums.... its painfully obvious. so did foo fighters on the new album. i think dave kicks the regular foo's drummers ass down the back and then back again. too bad he doesnt do his albums like the first few where he played everything. colour and the shape is probably their best sounding. the new one just sucks sonically... and the songs are just okay.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I like Dave Grohl's drumming (I'm a bass player so feel free to ignore me if you choose to), to me he ain't Matt Cameron.

Writing...more polished that Kurt Cobain, but little of the instinct and the anger. Nirvana with Dave Grohl writing the songs would not have changed the world the way Nirvana did. However without Dave playing the drums the songs probabley wouldn't have sounded so cohesive or powerful. Clearly there vastly better with him than without him and I doubt that they would have made as much of an impact.

Talented guy, no doubt about it and much respect to him. To me his writing and singing just seem to lack a little soul when compared to Nirvana, although you might say that it is unfair to compare his output with the Foo Fighters to Nirvana.

To me it just sounds a little too shiney and I frankly find the Foo Fighters a little dull.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived