Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying new (used) drumkit:)

totemspock

Hello!

I´m about to buy a used Pearl drumkit. The kit is about 10 years old and it is a "DLX" kit. I was looking on Pearls website but I couldn´t find any information about the kit there so I thought that you drummers may have interesting info? What other Pearl drumkit could I compare the DLX kit with? The guy wants 730 dollars for it. He said it costs 2630 new 10 years ago.

The sizes are: 22,12,14,16 (all toms and bassdrum) + a pearl freefloating maple snaredrum. I´ve mostly been using brass snare drums, what difference will I be hearing with the freefloating maple snare? Stands is also included in the price. Finally it think it´s time for my old Maxwin kit to be put in the closet. What do you think? Give me everything you know!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pearl is really great about answering customer questions about older models. Email a guy named Gene Okamoto at their customer service deparment, and he'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Totum,

I would not doubt the price as qouted. DLX was just below the best set offered at the time.

If I remember correctly (and someone correct me if I am wrong) ... the DLX was a mohagony kit. Then there was the BLX (birch kit) and the MLX (Maple kit),

The are great drums for the money and will have a great tone.

I especially like the free floating snare, however ... they can be tricky to tune.

Offer the guy 550.00 and see if he bites.

Others?

DJ

I mailed Geneo Okamoto at Pearl and this is what he said¨:

The DX 7300 Series (covered finish) and the DLX 7500 Series (lacquered finish) were introduced in 1984 and featured 7 ply shells: birch (outside), mahogany (middle), and lamin (inside) for superb sound with fantastic low-end punch. Priced affordably, they nevertheless featured high-end components such as double braced hardware, SuperHoops, and Pinstripe heads.

In 1986, the DX/DLX shared the spotlight with a similar but lower priced series, the WX/WLX World Series. In 1987, the DX/DLX were discontinued and replaced by the WX/WLX. In 1992, the WX/WLX became the SLX Prestige Session Elite. In 1994, the SLX became the SPX Prestige Session and SX Session Series. In 1997, the SPX/SX became the SRX Prestige Session Select. And finally, in 2001, the SRX became the Session Custom.

From 1997 to 1998, the DX Session (covered finishes) and DLX Prestige Session (lacquer finishes) made a brief ³comeback.² and featured 7 ply shells: maple (outside), mahogany (middle), and maple (inside).

These drums were (are) fabulous for live and recording thanks to their fantastic low end punch and presence.

The maple free floater is bright for a wood drum, almost as bright as brass. I think you'll like it!

He answered my mail the next day!! Fantastic! The problem is that I want two floortoms and only one rack-tom. Is it possible to order Just a 14" floortom in the same finish and shell from Pearl?

Thanks for the reply DJ! It feels good to know that it´s good drums.

totum:

I am very doubtful that you could order a drum like that these days.

I would just suspend the other tom next to your floor tom.

That way, you have a versitle setup. You can then use the toms as two up, one down, .... or One up, two down.

Just my thoughts.

DJ

I realize that it´s not possible to order a replica of the tom:) but I thought i might be able to order a similar one? The thing is that I wan´t it to look like a "reall" tom, not a tom that is mounted. If one is mounted, then i wan´t both to be mounted:)

I´ve been looking around on the internet on many kits and it´s har to get a hold of a kit with two floortoms. I thought that everybody knew that two floor, one rack is the way to go:) Another thing,i´m thinking about the difference between buying a kit that was high end for a couple of years ago and buying a new kit for the same money but not high end:) Probably it all comes down to what kit you´re talking about?

Anyway, tomorrow (tuesday) i´m going to check out the DLX kit!

Thanks djarret for you´re comments! I´ve decided not to go for the DLX kit. I´ve found another kit, it´s a Pearl BRX kit in emerald mist, it´s newer and hopefully sounds better:) It has the "optimount" thingies on the toms. Wich year did optimount come? I want to know because I would like to know how old the kit is approximately.

http://www2.blocket.se/view/761451.htm?l=0

Totum:

I believe that the opti came out in the mid 90's after the patent on the RIMS mounts ran out. Most companies scrambled to create copy-cat mounts that would perform the same functions.

I believe that the opti mount was Pearl's answer.

DJ

Archived