Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass drum pedal

wildplum

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Axis pedal is quiet. But in reality, almost all new pedals are quiet. It's when they get old that they start making noise. But properly cared for you should be able to get many years out of a pedal.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

dwarf, do you like the axis? i am thinking of getting one... my pedal just broke and was shitty anyway. i was looking at the longboard one, but it seems people either love them or hate them.

there is no dealer for them anywhere near me so i would have to mail order it.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by alphajerk:

dwarf, do you like the axis? i am thinking of getting one... my pedal just broke and was shitty anyway. i was looking at the longboard one, but it seems people either love them or hate them.

there is no dealer for them anywhere near me so i would have to mail order it.

Yeah, I like it. The only negative comment I have is that after years of playing chain drive pedals the solid linkage felt strange. After I got used to it I stopped noticing it.

The build quality is fantastic and you don't get any chain noise (nice if you're micing from the batter side on a recording).

I would really recommend trying one out for a while though. If you can't (mail order does kinda make it hard to try before you buy) you might wanna go with a DW or something. Pedals aren't cheap and the Axis is a little more expensive than most (except the DW Titanium).

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

i have played DW pedals and wasnt all that impressed with those. i kinda liked the yamama titanium that was in my studio a couple weeks ago. i was thinking about getting the axis hihat stand also.

so the direct link doesnt bother you? thats what i was thinking i would like because i always feel like there is "slop" with the chain drives. is the rebound quick on the axis?

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Originally posted by alphajerk:

i have played DW pedals and wasnt all that impressed with those. i kinda liked the yamama titanium that was in my studio a couple weeks ago. i was thinking about getting the axis hihat stand also.

I haven't tried the hi-hat stand but I hear it's very good. Considering the level of machanical design the people at Axis show I would expect anything they do to be pretty good.

so the direct link doesnt bother you? thats what i was thinking i would like because i always feel like there is "slop" with the chain drives. is the rebound quick on the axis?

I was used to the give, or slop as you put it, in chain or strap pedals, but after using the Axis a while the direct linkage feels very natural.

The pedal is very adjustable. Including the point where the linkage meets the beater. Given a little time to play with the settings you should be able to get exactly what you want.

As for whether the rebound is quick - I can play the same quick doubles (think Samba) on the Axis as I could on my old Pearl or Camco. And regardless of what you think of drumming as sport, it was an Axis double pedal that Tim Waterson played when he set the speed record. I imagine he couldn't have done that without good rebound.

Fwiw, I rented out my kit on Monday to a band I was doing sound for. I set up the Axis with the kit (I had my Pearl P-880 there as well, just in case). The drummer sat down, adjusted the toms and cymbals and started playing. He had never played an Axis before and was very happy with the way it played.

--

Rob

i played an iron cobra today. i liked it pretty well. it is only $120 here in town [although they wanted $40 MORE with the strap version, im going to say something about that to them when online they are all the same price]

so strap vs. chain... the strap felt "lighter" to the step, the chain felt toughter. who prefers which? im thinking about the strap for myself, i guess i could always order the chain part and have both. im getting the strap hi hat stand though.

i wanted the Axis but it was too hit or miss with not being able to try them. i think the iron cobra's will do fine for my skill level [probably better than my skill level]... they seem sturdily built. any comments about that? oh, im looking at the power version, not the roller version.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Archived