Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songo

surfjunkie

i just learned from google that there is a band called Songo and a goalie named Songo, but i'm talking about the musical style Songo.

anyone into it?

the difinitive Songo tune (arguably) is Los Van Van's "Llegue Llegue", it's on a few different Luaka Bop compilations (that's David Byrne's incredible South America/ Cuba label).

Songo is a lot like drum&bass. the rhythm can sometimes be very sparse, but a basic Songo groove has nearly constant 16ths between the snare & kick. the kick won't play downbeats often, instead it's on the 3rd or 4th 16th (or both). an open hat on 2 & 4 (with the snare) is pretty common.

anyone else into it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey wager47,

The songo is one of my favorite things to do, b/c it use to kick my butt some years ago, I used to practice songo for about 4 hours when I was like 17, still use it today, I even used it this sunday in Church of all places (just changing the feel of a song we played a million times). If you want ot see someone play a mean songo check out Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez :wave:

It seems to work well in a lot of situations. When I need a "latin" groove within a style, such as rock, that needs some spice ... the Songo seems to always work well ... especially when other hardcore latin feels just don't fit.

It must be the driving downbeats in the bell part, and the occasional backbeat amidst the syncopated rhythms on the snare. Improvising the kick drum also seems to work very well.

What a great groove! Thanks Changuito!!!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by djarrett:

Hey, Bartman ... you having trouble editing??

DJ

No ... the board hung up and posted three times. I went back and removed the content of that last two until I could get someone like yourself to just delete them.

Sorry everyone.

Originally posted by tonio:

Songo...

So how do you "traps" guys deal with when there is a conguero/timbalero in the group. Do you still

just apply the pattern, or do you work it out with conguero/timbalero?

The Songo was created by Changiuto as a drumset groove ... the congas, in this case, came second. The Songo conga pattern fits with the Songo drumset pattern; they are nothing alike, so you don't have to change in order to make it work without doubling the part.

This is what makes the Songo so unique. It's not some conga/timbale latin rhythm applied to the drumkit ... so that you have to change when you have the "real deal". The Songo rhythm exists on it's on with the drumset.

Hey Tonio,

Bartman is absolutely right, the songo can be played in different ways, I was on tour with a latin pop/salsa band and I had to play with 3 percussionist (conga, timbal, and bongo/bell player) it was a lot of drumming going on but we all played within ourselves, no clashing, it was diffucult at first for me but I quickly realized that all I had to do was sit back and let them play out. Everyone had a time to solo at different points so it worked out grate!

Archived