Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A solid right foot...

Tedster

My son is practicing drums these days. Now, I know what you all are going to say, practice practice practice...yes, I know...but one must be practicing the right things.

Listening to him, I feel his right foot could use a bit of tightening. Any ideas on a practice regimen that will accomplish that?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo, Tedster -

Modern Drummer publishes an excellent book on this topic - author is Ron Spagnardi (publisher of MD), title is something like "Building Bass Technique".

The excercises are good for building speed and control.

Pick up a current issue of Modern Drummer, should have ordering number and/or address in there; or visit them online :

http://www.moderndrummer.com/

Does your son own a metronome? I strongly recommend you invest in either a metronome or the new CD metronome, to teach him to lock in time. :wave:

A really good one is to do the patterns from "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer", but use the right foot instead of the right hand. Add the hat on 2 and 4 for a real co-ordination fest.

This gets the left hand too, and left hand to right foot is the basis of bounce, no?

At varied metronome tempos, especially including way too slow.

This is really screwing me up, but I'm bent on getting it...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

The book refered to in the previous post is a great book for excersices. It is commonly refered to as Stone's Stick Control.

It was first published back in the 40's. It *is* a monotonous book for a young drummer, but if you can get them to stick with it, it will be the best thing they ever use.

DJ

Dittos on djarret's praise of "Stick Control".

Although your son will likely never use any of the excercises in performance, his drumming will improve exponentially as he works his way through the book, 5 or 10 minutes per practice session.

I am always amazed by how much more smoothly and confidently I play after working on "Stick Control" - likely a combination of the discipline, the use of the metronome, and being conscious of trying to make each non-accented stroke sound the same!

Whatever it is - it works!

Archived