Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help buying a drum kit.....

Imagine

I looking into buying a drum set. My main instruments are keyboards, and guitar, so I'm not familiar with drums!

I've looked around for a decent set, but I don't want to spend over $1000.

Is the Tama 5-Pc Rockstar good enough to start with?

Thanks in advance.

Imagine

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tama's Rockstar is one of the better mid-range or intermediate kits (1 step up from entry-level).

The Rockstar should be compared to Yamaha's Stage Custom line, which are also excellent drums. Yamaha YD is entry-level - not bad, but the Rockstar or Stage Custom are better drums!

Pearl's Export line are also a good choice, particularly the newest drums, with the ProTone heads (don't want to spend a lot of time explaining why, but these heads should make for a really good drum sound!).

What about cymbals? To my ear, the best values are Sabian's Pro and Pro Sonix Performance Sets. These are versatile and high quality cymbals, and add-ons are available to meet your needs as/if they change!

Larry & Ted,

Thanks for your suggestions. Am I better off with the Tama Rockstar or Pearl Export? I know it's a question of apple's and orange's, but if you had a choice between the two, which one would you buy?

Thanks again

Imagine

Hey Imagine,

OK, I'm a pearl guy so I will have to suggest to go with a pearl BUT, with the session kit, not the export, the export is more of an entry level kit even though they have improved on them trough out the years, the session series fits between the export and the Masters series which are great drums. They run in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. :thu:

The good news is that both the Export and Rockstar are excellent kits.

I'd lean toward the Export, simply because I have more experience with it than with the Rockstars.

I owned an Export kit several years ago, gigged with it 20-30 weekends a year for 3 years, and had almost no complaints (the snare strainer stripped out the 2nd gig I played, but Pearl replaced it quickly and hassle free, so that doesn't count against them, in my book).

Be sure that you're looking at the current model of both kits. The current Exports come with the new ProTone heads, which should make for a great sound; the current Rockstars come with the StarCast mounting system.

If one is a bit less expensive, or comes in a color you like better than the other, pick that way - it's that close between the two!

Either kit will be a good investment.

larrytkennedy@excite.com

Archived