Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass pedal squeak, unbelievable

Jazzman

Well I ready to record a drum part in the studio, and I hear this god-awful squeak from the bass drum pedal. I look at it fool around with the spring, look at the hardware.........no squeak. Start up again, there's that squeak again......what the heck! I can hear this sound in the headphones that I'm wearing. Now how can I hear this sound so clear in the phones. Sitting there and looking at the pedal I suddenly realize that it's the plastic beater rubbing on the drum disc pad attached to the head. When I applied the foot pressure on the head, the squeak was there.

Solution :idea: I added some 3&1 oil to the beater, the noise went away. WHEW!!!!!!!!

Just a solution to a problem (the sound was like an old door opening up).

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you found the problem.

I remember when I was a little kid...I thought the Bass drum squeak on James Brown recordings was on purpose so I spent a half-hour trying to get my Speed King pedal to squeak, it really wasn't very difficult to do, if you ever owned a Speed King you know what I mean. :D

That is too funny Steve!

My first pedal (that evenutally just flat wore out), was a SpeedKing. I used to keep a vile of graphite powder in my stick bag to keep the thing from squeaking! It was just an annoying design flaw.

Jazz ... about your squeak. You must be "planting" the beater into the pad?? And ... you must have a leather disc on the head? That would definately cause a squeak.

DJ

DJ.......well to my surprise, I went back into the studio and looked at the beater up close. On one side is felt type cylinder pad inserted in a "plastic" head beater on the other half. I looked at the plastic beater side that I was using and I found stress cracks all over it. The plastic side of the beater is semi round more flat than round. The beater flat part does not fit squarely on the drum pad "Remo, Slam Bam" pad, it is more on a 10 to 15 degree angle to the drum head.

It looks like only about 20% of the beater hits the drum, and I'm getting a double hit off of the drum head, so maybe thats why I'm getting reflections off of the drum. Hum m m m m m m! The beater has an MP mark on the top, maybe a DW read upside down!! HaHa. It is a good thing that I looked.

I probably should get a wooden beater. The pedal claw of the Pearl pedal is all of the way in on the bottom part of the drum hoop. The beater is like a DW beater(2-way)half felt and the other half plastic.

Now I'm thinking that there is a larger diameter beater that I should purchase to allow the beater to fit squarely on the drum head. Is that possible? What would be a better beater to use on my Pearl pedal? A cylinder type felt beater came with the set.

Thanks DJ for stopping me and making me think this out over again. (The oil dried out) You mentioned graphite..good call.

Thanks.......... :wave:

Jazzman :cool:

Archived