Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band names!

Gaddabout

My brother and I are starting yet another band, and we're arguing over the band name. Of course, I'm the one with ideas. He has contributed zero so far. The bum. What do you guys think? We write songs in a variety of styles, with unintentional homages to: Pinback, Pearl Jam, Lenny Kravitz, and a handful of others. My feeling is all band names are stupid, short of actually being named after a member of the band, so I would rather go for ridiculous. Here's what we have so far:

Jollybone: My preference, simply because my brother hates it more than I do, and it really gets under his skin =)

Bulldog: *I* think this should be the name of our coffee house band, when we don't have a full compliment of electronics.

Bob Boze Belle: My tribute to former local indie journalist

Harmonic Indifference: What I call us when I write a song by myself, or my brother attempts a guitar solo

Jiminy: We could build a whole mythology based on whether or not the J is silent or not.

My brother's tongue-in-cheek contribututions, a poor attempt to annoy me (I take that back -- he was successful in his attempt):

The Bed Wetters

Arrowhead

The Suburbanoids

Yellow Snow Trails

The Itsy Bitsy Spiders

Foot Powder

Silly Men & Garfunky

Ornery White Men

The Mondays

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, Gaddabout, you and I are in the same situation. I've been forming a new band and we're looking for a name. I finally found a cool name... Masonic... Then I learn that there's a UK band called The Masonics. Is that too close? I don't know. But I think we're going to go for it. It's been a nightmare, and there's been no consensus except with that one. We're sort of ambient-pop with occasional machinery, ala Coldplay, Mazzy Star and Radiohead. Girl singer.

I like Jiminy. I think the others, IMHO, sound either like you're trying too hard, or not trying hard enough. :) That's the problem with band names. I think the trick is in not trying to find something that means something, and just go for what sounds good that no one else has used. There's a great new UK band called Elbow. Elbow!? But hey, it's memorable.

Use this test: "Hey, are you guys going out to the XX show tonight?" "Man, did you get the new XX CD yet?" Those kinds of things. Actually, given that test, now I'm not sure Jiminy is working. Sounds a bit like "Chimney." Aaaarrggghhh.... this process always kills me. Picking a band name is like trying to find the love of your life.

Just for the record.

I can't see a pearl jam / kravitz band pulling off The Bed Wetters and be taken seriously. I think that too often bands pick names that they think are funny in the moment, and then regret it. My advice: don't try to be funny unless you're a cover band, or have a xylophone player in the group.

One thing I forgot: Try street names in your city. There are some great, simple, easy to remember names there. That's how I came up with Masonic... by far the coolest sounding street name in San Francisco. Plus, we get the local flavah with it, i.e. the local press will be more inclined to look into the band. Every city's looking for the next big thing to brag about, and the press loves to latch on to something that gives identity to their home town.

Just for the record.

Hi Gadabout, how about these:

Cranial Meltdown

Passive Pork

Spunk Munk

High Energy

Heaven's Gate

Fused Metal

Field Mice

Straight Wire

Yellow Snow

The 11th Commandment

Charged Heads

Gang Band

Recoil

Pop Twist

I could go on and on............

I don't know if this helps but it had my mind working! :D

Good luck with a name fallas.....

Jazzman :cool:

Masonic sounds like you are a moronic brick layer or involved in one of those branches of the Jehova's Witnesses.

Just pick a band name...you guys will probably break up before it starts to fly anyways. In fact I think we played for at least a year with out even having a name.

Our band name sucks I think, I have tried to change it but politics won't enable me to do it...hell, after 5.5 years everyone knows us as greazyspoon.

How about "The The"? I love that dumb name...dumber the better.

one of the first ones you mentioned was "bulldog"- if that's not taken, it's pretty good.

how about:

The Other The

Lug

That The

That That

The That

Silent J

Powderfoot

Jim & E

Mork Spork

Heaven's Metal

The Yellow Commandment

Moronic Bricklayer

Chimney

Jiminy's Witnesses

• 2 weeks later...

how about...

--------------------------

the ultra shut up machines

death ray monkey bomb

noise to my ears

this music is good to listen to while taking a bath

tron 2.0 hackers

the you suck and we rock band

hirubiriimyuujikku

japanese for hillbilly music

photoshop kings

waste of tape

we're gonna invade your town

times new roman

microsoft OS X beta 0.0.01

500 more names to go

499 to be exact

screw the fans they can go shutup somewhere

--------------------------

ok, so a little violent, but that's whta i would name things! it's tight that way... umm have fun! :D

Gradeschool Hairless is my fave, but I fear prosecution of some sorts. Better destroy my hard drives....

White Trash Compactor is my current jazz/avant/improv band. I'm the only member so far...

Comfort Food

Soul Sleep

F-Holes

F-Hole and the Hollow Bodies

More than Jake, but Worse than Ezra

Mahavishnu Dan

No

Anonymous Alcholics

Gear Sluts, Ltd.

Good Lord I'm drunk and coming up with lots of bad band names

Just Say Yes

Too High

One Night Stan

Two Chickens At Once

The Twelve Days of Kwanzaa

Malt, Lick Her

Single Malt Scott

I'm passing out now...

• 2 weeks later...

A few more:

star flop

great cheeks

fresh meat

sour dough

basket weavers

flinch

the dead cavemen

crazy dudes

lost in heat

fret-no-more

two-tone junkies

gas phase

four fingers

hairballs

blush

false-set-toes

lost in face

sewer gas

rink-e-dink

two ton chunks

fire-em up

grease bags 4

break beat band

puddle jumpers

water gods

shiv-a-get

...................oh well I had fun again folks.....

Jazzman :cool:

Archived