Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oddball percussion instruments

-

there are some kids toys that make great noises, rattlers, clappers, lazer guns, squeeking rubber toys, tiny pianos, those flexible tubes that make a whistling noise when you swing them around...

also I have sampled what we call the 'Wisconsin thumb piano' which is just an open beer can...you flick the pop-top tab with your finger, and you can get different sounds by drinking some of the beer out of the can. This makes a heavenly keyboard patch when sampled and spread over 3 or 4 octaves...

j

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a fellow percussionist in Nashville that got a killer Bass Drum sound in the studio by miking a sweet roll in its cellophane wrapper. He used a beater on the top of the roll.

Talk about having your cake and eating it too!!

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

DJ, I came across this post and a paramedic had to attend to me after reading your comment, I almost died laughing, HaHaHa!

A sweet roll??? Ha,Ha! I'm dieing!!!!!!

composure......

Emerl Live has a couple of guys on TV that play music for the show. The percussionist uses pots and pans from time to time as part of the song, they sound cool too.

jamoflage, if you spread the sound out over three octaves, I hope the tempo was fast, or after the third beer, it might not sound so good any more, HaHa! :D I'm suprised that you don't use pop cans instead, at least then you can finish the tune, HaHa! TOO much fizzzzzzzzz??????

Sweet roll???.............HaHaHa!!!

I CAN'T FADE OUT FELLA'S( and gals)........

Jazzman :cool:

Cool indeed popmusic, hope it works out for you. I do have one for you folks.

A very good friend of mine wanted to get the sound of a car crash for a monolog he was doing for a local radio station. This is what he used:

A large cardboard box full of pie pans, chunks of ductwork, clay pots, old panes of glass, nuts and bolts, and a veriety of other things. He miced the box, and hit the box with a 3 wood golf club, and recorded it. He said he really had to lay into it. He then played it back at 1/3rd of the speed and I couldn't tell the differience between the simulation and the real thing.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived