Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite drummer-solo album?

rlhubley

I have three that come to mind.

1. Vinnie Colaiuta-this is just full of everything you need.

2. Stanton Moore-All Kooked Out- This album is great, and VERY approachable, even to non-drummers, hell, even non-musicians. It is just full of drummer friendly grooves and tunes. A definite must-own

3. Terry Bozzio-Chamberworks. Although I shamefully must admit that i only have the dowloaded tunes and have burned it to disc, it is an incredible and innovative album. It is one that I plan on purchasing, I just wish it was easier to obtain, and less expensive. Terry plays some incredible stuff on this album, and it is very musical.

Now, ADD To the list!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Weck's "Master Plan" solo album is pretty out there...even I don't know what he's playing sometimes LOL.

I had Vinnie's solo album...but left it an old friends house.

It's ok, hate the hip hop shit on it though. LIked Joe's Garage much better.

I recently pulled out Billy Cobham's shabazz EP...nice stuff.

What was the Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai project called? Remember?

Anything from Buddy...I need to get back into him...TIME MAN, where does it all go?

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the early 80s, Steve Gadd put out Gadabout Steve Gadd, which is where I derive my name. It was just the old Stuff crowd getting together to play mostly R&B standards. Nothing mind blowing, wasn't even Gadd's most technical work, but I wore the tape out three times just driving around in my car with it. I loved it. My all-time favorite road trip tape. The next one, Gadd Gang, was pretty good too, but not quite the listen to these ears. I thought it was interesting how college pep bands liberally borrowed from the Gadd Gang disc and revived some old standards. The stuff is just fun to listen to and fun to play for drummers.

Most drummers should never become "the guy." I would like to see more drummers form bands and write as a group, like stuff Weckl's been doing lately. Vinnie's album was a fun experiment, but how cool would it be if Vinnie put together his own straight rock band or alternative group? Considering the state of music, I don't know why more session guys don't try this. I'm not talking about cheezy commercial efforts like Winger, either.

Those are some of the best! how 'bout these?

Art Blakey - you name it

Mike Clark - Actual Proof

Nana Vasconcelos - any

The Conga Kings - Giovanni Hidalgo, Candido, Patato Valdes

Ustad Zakir Hussain - essence of rhythm

Airto - you name it

Trilok Gurtu - you name it

Los Hombres Calientes Vols. 1&2 - Jason Marsalis, Bill Summers

Max Roach - M,boom, Rich vs. Roach

Mongo Santamaria - you name it

Alex Acuna - Acuarela de Tambores

Archived