Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help choosing snare drum

Stuthumper

hey guys i need some help with a sanre i'm considering buying.

its a 13" pearl brass piccolo,i am wondering what kind of sound it will have,i want it to cut through a band and have loud ghost notes,sort of like david silveria from korn i guess,

has anyone had experience with this drum or similaar drums if so please comment on there performance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't tried this particular drum, but what you must do is try it out for yourself. It's the only way.

btw, when you're talking about a snare sound from a particular recording, especially in modern pop-metal, it often has little to do with the drum and more to do with compression, verb, EQ, mic choice, the preamp, mixing technique and playing technique. I could make a coffee can sound like a Noble & Cooley, with the right combination of the above.

But all bragging aside http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I understand what you're asking. If you're looking for a loud, bright sound out of a drum when you play it live (i.e. with none of the above), brass generally works well. It's just not as versatile a material.

This message has been edited by sidereal on 10-15-2001 at 07:26 PM

Just for the record.

Think VERSATILITY!!

Your tastes will change, so I recommend getting a drum that is will work in numerous situations. Personally my 5.5X14 Yamaha Bamboo is great at this(and is less than $400), N&C are also great. However a decent brass or bronze shell will also be quite versatile.

Whatever shell material you go with, I think that the size is, well the most important when trying to achieve versatility. 5.5,6, and maybe 6.5 inches deep, and 14 inches in diameter. With different head combos and a little effort, a drum of this size will get you through the bulk of your situations.

WHEREAS, a piccalo is a rather limited choice. I mean you get either a bright crack, a bright wet crack, or a timbale! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I actually had three piccolo's at one time.

I sorta grew out of them.

I have a 6.5 Yamaha Brass that is my fav now. My band has nicknamed it the "skull cracker"...pretty funny...it has lots of volume on tap and is plenty sensitive enough for me.

I have always liked the Pearl free floaters...they are alright I guess.

Hi Stu, I am currently using a 14" X 4" Remo, brass, Master Touch, with fiber head in my studio and love it. Very crisp, a lot of action, and I'm happy with it. If your like most players you'll own a couple more in the years to come. I'm using this with my Pearl Export set.

Jazzman http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

A pic is a nice alternative snare for special effect snare needs.

It is used less as a main snare these days.

Along with pics are the new rage ... side snares. These are (much like piccolos) a specialty snare that is often used as part of the set-up and many times on the left of the hihat.

The side snare is usually a 5x10 or 5X8. The piccolo is usually thinner 3 or 4 inches deep and anywhere from 8 to 14 inches in diameter.

DJ

Archived