Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are you listening to this week?

rlhubley

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the car: Jars of Clay, Ben Folds Five, Karizma (depending on the mood)

At work: Coltrane, Chick Corea Electrik Band (from GRP Live disc), Edwin McCain, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Mickey Hart, and Foo Fighters.

At home: the latest from Vineyard (worship music), Joe Pass (solo stuff, good for reading), old Radiohead (hate the new stuff), Los Lobotomys (only when I'm in that very specific mood), Semisonic, and Galactic (perfect weekend/cleaning music).

Just picked up some new CDs this week. The two I've listened to so far are:

The World of Drums and Percussion Vol. 1 & 2

The CDs feature a huge variety of cuts from various projects. Some of the players include: Terry Bozzio, Trilok Gurtu, Chad Wackerman, Gary Chaffee, Daniel Humair, Michael Shrieve, John Bergamo, Glen Velez, Peter Erskine and others.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I saw Trilok live with his jazz band a couple years ago. What an amazing talent! That freaky kit, his toys, his tabla playing, his weird drum set, if you want to call it that.... I got turned onto him via that live disc he did with John McLaughlin and I've followed his career ever since.
Just for the record.

Originally posted by djarrett:

Hey, Gaddaboutit:

Like your choices! Especially Jars of Clay ...I really like their musical message!

DJ

Funny thing about Jars of Clay ... I really did not like CCM for the longest time, and I abhor country gospel, which is kind of a rough place to be for the son of an Alabama preacherman. The Nashville sound in general really bugged me -- over-produced, marketing-engineered sappiness I once said. I actually swore to someone I would never listen to any Nashville-recorded band. Somehow or another I got hooked into Jars of Clay, and later Sixpence None the Richer, not even realizing both those bands record exclusively in Nashville. Sometimes I can be so pig-headed.

The Jars disc I'm listening to has all the Adrian Belew (sp?) produced cuts on there. They are really good, and the lyrics are, for the most part, very strong. I'm not into "positive message" stuff. I like it when secular Christian artists (as opposed to worship artists) say, "This is not easy," or "I'm not good at this" type of thing. It's honest, refreshing, and more in line with my faith.

I will admit I once bought a Michael W. Smith cd once, but only because Vinnie C. was on one cut (and it was worth it!).

In deference to Apocolypse Now Redux, I have been listening to the Rhythm Devils' Apocolypse Now sessions. I have also been listening to Railroad Earth -- the one in Atlanta, GA (www.rre.net).

------------------

"You don't just EAT the biggest turnip in the world!"

http://www.theodysseystudio.com

"You don't just EAT the biggest turnip in the world!"

http://www.theodysseystudio.com

Originally posted by dvergar:

In deference to Apocolypse Now Redux, I have been listening to the Rhythm Devils' Apocolypse Now sessions. I have also been listening to Railroad Earth -- the one in Atlanta, GA (www.rre.net).

Why is it that I have never heard of any of these groups? LOL

I guess I'm a lot older than I once thought.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived