Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

Well, Pop:

In my opinion ... Zoro's designed ... Sabian Manhattan Hats are the cats meow for Disco! All you had to mention was BeeGees and I knew what direction to point you!

A lot of those old recordings were done with 15" hats as well. Keep this in mind. I just spent the day with Jim Christie (Dwyght Yokum's drummer) and he is moving up to 16" hats !!! That should be interesting!!

DJ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of thoughts for you:

First, don't be afraid to experiment with the hi-hats you have. An example would be to reverse the hi-hats so that the top is now on the bottom and vice versa. I own several pairs of hi-hats and I'm always switching and mixing them up to create new and interesting sounds. I'm also on the hunt for single hi-hat cymbals from time to time. If a guy breaks his top hi-hat cymbal ... I offer him a couple of bucks for the broken cymbal, and often times can get him/her to sell me the GOOD bottom hihat. Man, I'm telling everyone my secrets!

Another idea is to use cymbals that were not designed as hi-hats. For instance, I have a Sabian AAX 14 inch Studio Crash that I use as a top hi-hat cymbal. I might put a couple of Splash or China cymbals together and use them as hihats; even two 20 inch rides! I also don't always try to match similar sizes. One of my favorite "remix" sounds is to use a 8 inch Splash with a 10 inch Splash; very cool!

So experiment and see what you come up with. You might be able to achieve the sound you are looking for without having to by a second pair of hihats. Having several pair, however, is a very good idea for a session drummer and/or studio. The same holds true for Ride cymbals and Crashes.

Good Luck!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Pop,

The hi-hats on the Trash Can Sinatras song sound like they are pretty thin and small. In general I've noticed that thinner cymbals record better unless you're really going for a heavy rock sound. The smaller thinner hats have a brighter sound that is probably more what you're looking for.

A drummer I used to work with had some Paiste hats that sounded GREAT for that type of thing. I always used to comment on how well they recorded on that bright poppy stuff. I can't remember exactly which model they were, though - I'll try and find out.

Our drummer also can get that sound very well when he wants, I think by not laying into the hats as much as he does during a more balls-out number... but I'll ask him if he can shed any light, and I'll try and post an MP3 example for ya.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it sounds like the Trash Can Sinatras song is NOT close mic'd on the hats. If you put a mic up close to them, especially a dynamic mic, it will really start to "honk out" - which again might be great for heavy rock but not for what you're looking for. Micing it several feet overhead is ideal.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 08-16-2001 at 02:12 PM

Originally posted by popmusic:

I'm looking for a not-too-expensive high hat ($150 range or less) which has a nice bright, pop sound and records well. Being able to get a disco Bee Gees open hat kind of thing is important, too... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I think the Sabian AAX Studio hats match your description. And you can get the 13" model for right around $150 at midwest percussion.

I think you should wait one more month and save up a little more dough. It would be quite difficult to find quality hats at that price. Until then, and also for further use, try this: On the times when you want that birighter sound, make sure to use the actual tip of the drum stick on the top side of the top cymbal(you also may want to step down a hair firmer than normal). You might even try nylon tips, if you really want bright!

Well pop, I asked our drummer about his hats at rehearsal tonight (he plays my kit at rehearsals so I couldn't check it out myself). At first he said they were 14" New Beats, which is what I thought they were (mine are 15" New Beats). But then he says, "Oh, but I broke the top cymbal, so I put the bottom one on top, and a Paiste Rude on the bottom." LOL...

Anyway, here is an MP3 of some pretty cool hi hat stuff he's doing on a Beach Boys tune. Keep in mind this is a live club recording and was done with pretty shitty mics, so it could get even brighter on a studio recording. But I really do think it's all about the drummer and the hats themselves. Oh well, don't even know if this is approaching the sound you're looking for but check it out and see...

--Lee

Check out my mp3s of the week. www.geocities.com/pakalolojams go to the sounds page. The hat is a 14" K on top with 14" A custom on the bottom, i have drilled 4 -- 1/4" holes near the bell on the A. I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not. BTW, i use wood tips, and this was done with a single mic on a MiniDisc in a rehearsal, and the drumming is a bit embarrasing at a few points, but you can get an idea of the hats

Archived