Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is your favorite drummer in that great drumline in the sky?

djarrett

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'll second the vote for John Bonham. Would've loved to have seen Keith Moon at his peak, too.

Probably the drummer I miss the most is a guy named Donald Lindley, because he was a friend of mine as well as a wonderful drummer. He mostly played on country records, such as a lot of early Lucinda Williams, and I really regret that most people never got to hear him play rock cuz it was what he did best. He did play a couple of gigs with John Fogerty which were awesome, but otherwise the rock acts he played with were lesser known.

--Lee

Gotta be Jeff Porcaro - his feel drives me nuts. I'm pissed that he died in such a stupid manner, now I'll never get a chance to see him play live.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I've got a different one.....how about Stewart Copeland? His overall musical feel is excellent and his hi -hat work is unmatched.

Donnie

Art Blakey and Tony Williams

Honorable Mention- Philly Joe Jones

Rob

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

Well, since Rush is heading out with a new album shortly, Neil will have an opportunity to rise from the flames. After the tragedies that had befallen the man in such a short time period, I'm sure he'd deeply appreciate the support I'm sure is waiting for him. Especially, when it's from his peers. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Deceased? Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich. Sometimes, it seems like they were the two that started it all. Brought drumming to forefront and attention of the general public. With their outgoing personnas as well as their chops, I think they pulled drummers from the dark corner of obscurity as much as anyone could have.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

B.J. Wilson -- Procol Harum, 1967-77; Joe Cocker's band, 1979-83. No contest. Here's a page about B.J.'s great contribution to Joe Cocker's megahit "With a Little Help From My Friends."

http://community-2.webtv.net/Jem33nospamplez/BJJC/index.html

I read that a Live double CD release is planned of a gig in Denver by the Cocker/Wilson band in 1981 -- hope they got a good mix. It's called "Standing Here."

B.J. got some rare press recognition recently when the reviewer of Stereophile Magazine chose Procol Harum's "Home" as one of the mag's 'records to die for' [R2D4] in their Feb. 2001 issue. He singled out B.J. as providing "some of the most tasteful and inventive rock drumming of all time" on this album. So true.. And it's about time someone in the mainstream press said so. Now how's about 'Modern Drummer' magazine reviewing the "Home" album? Or featuring "With a Little Help..." on the radio station at their website?

Best,

Joan

Archived