Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zappa

rlhubley

Ok, what do you guys think are the best Zappa albums for drummers? I'm going with Joe's Garage to start with. For you guys who don't have any Zappa albums, buy Joe's Garage, it's a great starting point, or even Strictly Commercial.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Mundi played all the rippin stuff on "We're Only in it for the Money," buy this album, incredible stuff.

Jim Gordon

Johnny Guerin

Aynsley Dunbar

Ralph Humphrey

Are all on Apostrophe...I think Ralph Humphrey and Aynsley Dunbar are on most of the popular cuts from that album. Chester Thompson is not on Apostrophe.

Check out this website:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/zappapage.html

Dig deep into it and you can find just about EVERYTHING you could want to know about Frank Zappa and his drummers.

P.S.

If you do buy "Apostrophe"...try to find the CD release that includes the album "Overnight Sensation" on the same disc...talk about some great tasteful drumming...the middle section of the song "Dinah-Moe-Hum" has the sweetest groove happening between Guitar, Bass and Drums. Ralph Humphrey played all the drums on "Overnight Sensation"

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 08-07-2001 at 07:25 PM

hmmmm, the more I read the more confusing...maybe it was Chad Wackerman's drumming that impressed me on "We're Only In it for the Money."

It's confusing because FZ remixed the album in 1984 (the version I have) and had Chad overdub new drums on a lot of the songs.

Whatever, all the drummers for Zappa smoked.

I started with "Zappa in New York", the live disc with Terry Bozzio playing the Black Page. This has always been one of my favorites, and the collection of musicians is incredible on this (as usual!). That and Joe's Garage are two great places to start. You have to start somewhere as there are 70+ CD's and counting!

If you like instrumental, the Yellow Shark is a classical ensemble doing Zappa compositions under his direction. Incredible stuff. Enjoy!!

Archived