Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Far away is your Hi-hat?

drumtrav

I am trying new ways to set my kit up, to find that "sweet" spot for eveything. I finally got my Toms, Snare, and Cymbals the way I like it. Now if I can just get my dbl. bass pedal and Hi-Hat pedal I will be set.

I set the mem. locks on all the toms and took them away and allI was left with was the bass+pedals and the hi-hat. I placed the hat to where it "felt" comfortable and then added everything back in. looking down at the set, my Hi-Hats sit about 5-6 inches away from my snare. I am setting offset to the left, facing the point in between my hats and my first tom. 5-6 inches may not seem like much, but it seems like they are across the room. Maybe I'm not used to them in that position yet. I can reach them comfortably.

I'm curious as to where you hat is located in relation to your snare?

tks.

Drumtrav

Drumtrav

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Dendy on this one.

I play with my hi-hat has close as possible and forward ... like at the 10 O'clock position. I sometimes use my cable hi-hat so that I can get the hi-hats even more infront of me. Man, I absolutely love it because my elbows are down, almost "fetal position", and it's so relaxed. The cable hi-hats are positioned higher and slightly tilted towards me ... but they are still in the 10 to 11 O'clock position.

I've been working on this for years and have finally found the "sweet spot". I don't sit behind my kick drum; I'm centered behind my snare and my right leg is behind the kick. This allows my toms to start directly in front of me ... since they are not mounted on the kick drum. The set-up photo on my web site is no longer accurate as to my real set-up. If you took the left side of the photo, particularly the hi-hat and foot pedals, and swung it forward (up) then it would be correct ... so that I am facing forward and not off to the side.

I just got my FireWire card installed in my computer tonight, so I'll have to take a photo of my set-up and post it so you can see what I'm talking about.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I recently experienced a change in my kit setup. Like DJ and Bart, I love having the hi-hat as close as possible, and a bit forward, while still leaving as much open canvas as possible on the snare drum.

But I changed from a 2-tom to a 3-tom setup for a newer band I'm playing in (because the music called for it). Since I like tight setup, this proved difficult. I didn't like the two rack toms mounted on the kick, because it leaves little room for the ride to sit in a comfortable position (without getting arthritis in the elbow from the reach). I like the ride low and natural for my right arm, and like the hat, I like it forward a bit, not haning over the floor tom. So I mounted the racks on a separate stand off to the left of my kick to leave room for the ride.

Problem is (as I discovered the night of my first gig with them) this required me to shift the hi-hat over considerably. I tend to create a great deal of dynamics with the hat and a lot of the 'character' of my playing comes from what I do on the hat, so it was very odd to have it so far to my left. The gig went fine (excellent actually) but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best from the space I have. I should add that I'm not a tall guy, so I don't have a great deal of reach.

In grade school all the way through high school I used to draw drumset pictures on the back of my homework assignments, dreaming about the perfect kit and the perfectly natural drum setup and positioning. I guess I still haven't gotten it right. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just for the record.

Hello DrumTrav , I'm with Dendy on this to , I recently got another kit I had to switch things around since I'm an old timer I prefer my Hi Hat close very in fact about 1 inch covers the rim of my snare , although this is not for everyone I develop certain nuances over the years of playing , and now it in fact is done more so to save on economics of movement , I position my Double aux pedal to the left , outside of the Hi Hat foot board I can tell you though I have the DW 5500TD Delta 2 Turbo Pedal and I recently swith to a 2 leg DW 5000TD Delta 2 Hi Hat taking away my 3 leg version, in doing so this gave me more room to adjust things around just removing that 3 leg of the Hi Hat saves alot, Plus in doing so both my pedals from both DW's are level so I can place my foot to cover both at the same time to simultaneously play in unison the Hi Hat and Aux Bass Pedal, I think only one other Manufactuer can do this with their pedals I believe TAMA IRON COBRA , I' not much of a Tama Man in fact I own only there Throne W / Back. But I can tell you that my last setup my DW 3 leg 5000 Hihat was set up the same with my Yamaha Double Pedal but the difference in height in pedals being the set up is the same , Aux Bass Pedal to left of my DW 3 leg HiHat and the 3 leg had to stradle over my Extension Drive shaft from my pedal. Giving me no room for any error but Playing this setup was alittle awkward you had to work into it because of the pedal height, So switching to my new DW Bass Double Pedal and DW 2 legged Hi Hat works really great now , like you I found placing my pedals as the norm being the Aux Bass Pedal on the inside and Hi Hat on the outside or left of Bass Pedal placed my Hi Hat all the way to Hong Kong, Man there was no way I could adjust to that , So I found the other way placing the Aux Bass Drum pedal outside or left of Hi hat Pedal works perfectly , Peace........serpico3

Well, I guess I'm a little odd compared to some of the folks here. I kind like my stuff pushed a bit away from me. I've set my front toms so that when I'm holding a drum stick, if I extend my arm in front of me, (slightly bent but not locked) the tip of the stick will hit the center of the tom head. My hi-hat is perhaps a foot away from the snare, and slightly forward.

Like Bartman, by bass is directly aligned with my right leg, snare directly in front of me, but pushed away several inches, not tight in between my legs.

I sit (relatively) high and entire kit is pushed away from me a bit. I've also raised the kit quite a bit (compared to most drumsets I've seen), so I'm still sitting "into" the kit without having to lower the throne. For example, my snare is approximately 32" from the floor to the top rim, mounted flat. Which seems the opposite of what most drummers and borrowed drumsets (like for jam nights) like to have. For me, if gives me space to 'breathe' and room to move throughout the kit.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

I've got to tell you that having those hi-hats pushed forward to the 11 O'Clock position is awesome. Not only are my arms more relaxed, but my sticks never cross while playing the snare and hi-hat. With the hi-hats pushed, my right hand is out of the way enough (totally relaxed) so that I can play as high and loud on the snare drum as I want. I can point the stick straight up at the ceiling with a fully extended arm if I want. You can't do that with hi-hats pushed back to the 8 or 9 O'Clock position ... well, unless you LIFT YOUR RIGHT ARM TOO! The only other choice is to play "open grip".

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Drum Trav:

I too use the DW 5000 Delta series. I have the two legged version of the hihat. This allows the linkage to travel over my hihat pedal and to the left side of the hihat pedal.

Bart:

You may remember in an alternative setup thread, I talked about Dony Wynn's alternative setup. He uses a cable hihat and places the hihats directly in front of the snare in the "just before 12 o'clock position. His toms start to each side of him in a R (8") L (10") R (12") L (14") R (16") configuration. The toms are low and the method of fluid playing motion is much like playing quints in a marching environment. I am still working towards something similar to this. I am still battling the conventional way ... slanted towards the alternative.

It is odd how we grow up seeing things, and get it in our minds that -- "this is the way it is supposed to be!"

DJ

sidereal -

No problem. I'm just a tad under 6'. 5'11" something.

To give a bit of additional reference, my floor toms are just about exactly the same height (to the top rim) as the snare. Perhaps an inch lower at 31". LOL, I'd have to buy longer F/T legs to get them up any higher, as they're at the top of the factory legs. My front toms are just slightly higher than my snare, and decend in height to the floor toms, pretty standard, I think. To be honest, I really haven't measured them all, but starting with the floor tom, the next one is about the height of the rim above the floor tom (about 1/2"? 3/4"? Not sure), and so on.

I like to have the toms and snare at close to the same level, as much as is realistic. For me, it enables me to move a bit quicker and more comfortably around the kit. Just my preference, as we all knows there's no 'correct' or 'incorrect' way to set up a kit.

I have an array of cymbals, and these are at various heights, from just a few inches above the front edge of a tom rim (I tilt my rack toms toward me somewhat, so the measurements above are relative to the side closest to the snare) to about even with my head, when seated on the throne. All the cymbals are tilted toward me somewhat, so that I may stike the flat of the bow or the edge, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. My ride sets low, just a few inches above the floor toms, almost flat. Maybe like a 10 degree (?) tilt toward me. My two chinas are on a stacker, bell down and almost flat. Just tilted enough toward me so that I may strike the apex of the bow. Structurally, it's about the strongest part of the china.

Hope this helps answer your question a bit.

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Thanks J.B.

I would love to be able to play a kit, where the snare, hi-hat and the toms are all more or less flat and easily within reach, drum corp style. I still haven't been able to figure out how to do this without a radical shift to the right for the kick, especially since I like things so tight and directed at my center of gravity. DJ, any chance you can show a photo of Dony Wynn's setup? Having the hat around 12 o'clock sounds wonderful! I just got the same DW hat you guys mentioned, but I'd consider trading up for an x-hat. Bart, I'd love to see your current config, once you get the photos up.

Thanks guys... it ain't my post, but I'm glad someone started it!

Just for the record.

Archived