Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kick pedal rudiments?

frozen_dup1

No, No:

Do not leave Brad!

This is supposed to be a learning tool here at Drum Talk. The exchan ge does not just have to be about what CD's we listen to. This would be a great audience to be accountable to regarding your learning curve with all this new material!

See Felix's "what did you practice today" thread!

Stay around. We will all learn together!

DJ

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I can throw a counterpoint (not a disagreement) in for Steve LeBlanc -

While I completely agree with Steve's view on concentrated, focused practice, I also find it beneficial to practice (on a pad-on-a-stand and pillow that I have) while watching TV.

It's exactly BECAUSE the TV is distracting, and because I'm NOT focusing on the technique, that I think that it IS helpful.

As Steve stated, I believe you should work on your practice techniques (rolls, diddles, whatever) to get them smooth and correctly executed. LOL, and believe it, I have my share of challenges with that! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Additionally however, I will take the practice pad or pillow and just spend a couple of hours mindlessly watching the TV while repetitively executing some rolls, etc. This not only helps build the muscles used to execute those techniques, it also enables you to relax and forget that you're doing them. Your hands, wrists, arms to get used to the motions involved.

This is called by various names, including 'Muscle Memory'. It's the same approach / technique used by most golfers, bowlers, billiard & dart players etc. To 'burn' that muscle movement into memory. So you can do it in a relaxed, natural movement any time it's needed. It's why you might notice how fluid someone like Michael Jordan is when he shoots. Or Tiger Woods when he swings.

As an added feature, for me anyway, because I've been doing this consistently for some months now (I returned to drumming about 10 months ago after a 16+ year hiatus, in case that's important, LOL), I've noticed that in addition to my movements becoming (always improving, eh?) smoother, BECAUSE I also practice in such a relaxed fashion, my speed has picked up as well. Just naturally. So if a part in a song calls for a fast roll, it's easier to execute.

And MORE importantly, IMHO, I don't have to THINK about it. Just DO it, as the commercial says. I've had times previously when that roll was coming up, and I find myself concentrating on it. To my thinking, that's bad. Then I'm worried about the technique and NOT the music at hand. Worse, sometimes I've screwed it up 'cause I was thinking about it too much!

Now however, I find I can spend more time thinking way ahead about what I'd like to play to add a bit of spice, etc. Or just relax and watch what's going on with the other band members, audience, etc. No matter how hard I'm at it or what oddball polyrhythms may get pounded out. It's almost like being detached from your body and mentally, you're just an observer. Because I no longer have to THINK about it.

Yeah, it's possible someone out there has done this 'artificially'. Especially those who lived through the 60's! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif But I'm not talking about that!

The (long) point is, that by also practicing in a manner that allows you to detach yourself from your regimen, 'defocus' if you will, there CAN BE some benefits. Mainly, you can gain creativity and freedom of expression because you've practiced being able to 'lose your mind' in the music. Something that can LEARNED, in addition to 4 limb polyrhythms and lightning fast chops.

Just some thoughts. ThanX A Million if you read them.

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

J.B., I agree with the thought of detatching your mind from the task at hand for the benifit of the music. But, I'm still new at rudiments and drumming for that matter. I've been trying those rudiments and I'm only up to 16 on the first page ( George Stone's Stick Control ). If I put the TV on right now I'd be playing from the Flinstone's Control book...LOL. I, unfortunately, have to concentrate on the task at hand. But, I do notice that the first five or six stick control rudiments I can now do in my sleep at different tempos. DJ, I did read the Felix Stein's " What did you practice today. I don't know what a lot of those Swiss things and Sextuplet rolls or whatever are yet. I will continue to practice these things and keep on reading and posting on the drum forum. I've found that everyone has helped a lot already. My simple drum beats have already taken on a new sound. Whether that's good or not, who knows.... I like it.

Brad

Uhhhh,

I'm going to retract from my previous statement...partially.

This weekend I played the first solo in my Billy Gladstone Book...WITH MY FEET...tee hee hee

It took concentration I hate to say. And will take a little more to get to 90bpm...but I DID IT. My doubles are really starting to happen downstairs as are the flam rud's.

So really what I do is concentrate to get the pattern happening and noodle to burn it in and get it fast.

And God knows I am the blue print which all drummers follow!!!!!!

Archived