Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually was doing a disco song tonight, me and my brother were doing a funk jam with bass and drums, and then he went into a Jamiroquai song that sounds like disco, and I used tips of the stick like Jamoflage said, I was just sure to use the bass drum on every beat including with the snare, doing the straight 8ths on the hi-hats with the opening before the snare. If you use the tips of the sticks, it makes the opening sound a little clearer and quieter, which is good for the whoosh effect you're talking about. Good luck!

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

Hey, Popmusic!

You are definately going to have difficulty with this sound if you have the hats muted!

Additionally, the tilter screw on the bottom of the hihat cup that supports your lower cymbal should be adjusted so that there is just a slight tilt to the lower cymbal.

It also helps if you have lighter weight cymbals. Sabian makes a hihat specifically for this sound called the Manhattans. Zoro helped develop these for his funk/ disco style.

If you are using a heavy cymbal like ... say a Zildjian Z series, ... you will not be able to get an acurate sound either.

Many factors to consider when trying to replicate this airy disco hihat groove!

DJ

i had a tough time getting the disco thing too- i really dig the hat sound on the intro of 'shaft', and that was my goal, sound-wise.

i know my 16th coordination wasn't great at that point, but it wasn't as bad as my cymbals (sabian b8 pro) made me sound! that was driven home to me during a trip to the drum store, while playing a set of paiste soundedge. i sunk the bucks into the paistes, and immediately my hat groove was 500% better!

the final touch was replacing the paiste top hat with a zildjian newbeat- the paiste top was a little on the thin side, and the sound reflected that.

the cool thing about the newbeat/soundedge combo is that you can use the stick shank on the edge of the hats and get a great 'crunch', and using the tip on the center gets that great 'standard' sound. the pedal sound is easy to fine tune, as the ridges in the paiste don't cause any air lock, even with the hat 'untipped'. the newbeat has enough body and character to project (without being too load), too.

i've used this combo for ages now, and they are still my favorite sounding hats. they record very well, too.

recently i bought a set of those zildjian 'avedis vintage', and put the bottom (medium thickness) heat in place of the newbeat, and it was great too! dryer, a little less chick, but still sweet.

btw, i know a lot of places don't carry paiste, and i couldn't find another soundedge to use as backup, so i looked around and found that the 'a custom' mastersound bottom works almost as well. NOT the avedis or 'k' tho! too clanky!

the moral of the story? i got that 'shaft' thing goin' ON!

ps- here's another cool thing to do with the 16th disco beat...

play the same patten, but use your left hand on the snare instead of the hat, right hand plays normal. be sure your left hand snare hits are light, even ghosted. cool!

Archived