Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MICROPHONES

jscoin

need help choosing microphones.

i need good mics for recording and live performances.

but i need them really cheap, but good.

i was thinking about a bass mic, snare mic, and a overhead.

please reply

thanks alot

-jscoin

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, jscoin!

I recommend, AKG D-112 for bass drum

Sure SM-57 for snare

and for overheads I like the CAD cm-15s if you are on a budget, this combination will work great. There are better and more expensive mics, but if you are like most of us drummers and you pinch pennies, these will work well.

Let's see what others think.

DJ

For the money, what DJ recommended is probably they best you'll be able to do. You can use a SM57 on your kick too ... although the AKG D112 is better since it has a large diaphragm; it's still a dynamic mic (no phantom power needed).

I believe there has been some discussion of this in the past; you might want to search the archives. I've also got a complete listing of good drum mics and suggestions on my web site: http://bartelliott.com go to the Lesson section and click on the link for Tips for Drummers and Percussionists.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

jscoin,

Bass drum - Some alternatives to the D-112 are the Sennheiser e602 (which I have and love) and the Shure Beta 52. Both are a little less than the AKG most places.

Snare - Can't go wrong with a SM-57

Overheads - CAD's are great. I have used E100's all over a drum kit. Overheads, floor tom, bass drum, they sound good just about anywhere. I've never used the cm-15, nor can I find it on their website, but CAD makes some great mics for the price.

Some other overhead sugestions:

Audio-Technica Pro-37R

Octava MC012

Both are small-diaphram condensors and sell normally for under $150US.

Good luck.

Bob

i was looking online for the cm-15 and i couldnt find it,

but i found this: CAD ICM417 Condenser Microphone,

its only $100 but it says it needs phantom power, could someone explain to me what phantom power is??

Originally posted by jscoin:

i was looking online for the cm-15 and i couldnt find it,

but i found this: CAD ICM417 Condenser Microphone,

its only $100 but it says it needs phantom power, could someone explain to me what phantom power is??

Condensor microphones need a "charge" in order to produce sound. Mics like the SM-57 are called "dynamic" mics and don't need power to work. However most dynamic mics are not as accurate or sensitive as condensors. Many mixers designed for recording have power to "charge" the microphone, normally around 48 volts, this is called phantom power.

One of the great things about the CAD E100 is that it can operate with or without phantom power as it has two rechargable batteries in it. When running on phantom power, the batteries act as resevoirs for strong dynamic punches.

If you don't have a mixer (recommeded), you can also buy separate power supplies from places like Radio Hack.

Bob

what about this setup????

Sennheiser Kickpack Drum Mic Package $199.99

Shure SM-57 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone $79.99

CAD ICM417 Condenser Microphone $99.50

if anyone knows these are cheaper somewhere else please tell me, and if anyone knows where i can get a cheap boom mic stand (i already have 1)

and about mixers and recoders are these anygood???

Nady SRM14 Mixer $179.99

Fostex X-12 4-Track Cassette Recorder $99.99

Tascam Porta 02 Ministudio $139.99

or are there any other good but cheap mixers and recoders...

u guys are a big help,

thanks a lot

-jscoin

Hey jscoin! If you get the Shure SM-57 before July 31st at MusiciansFriend.com (same price as Mars), you'll get a free cable and mic stand. I ordered two, but the stands won't be in stock until October. So I guess it'll be good if I forget, and then two stands show up on my doorstep in October. Not too shabby. I don't know what I'm going to do in the mean time, since I need two stands, and I only have 1 from the SM-57 I got on my snare(which I ordered from Mars back a long time ago when they had this same deal, but it's done now). And also, the Tascam Portastudio is a great choice! That was our first 4-track, I'm going to be using it as a mixer now because we use a Tascam 788 Digital 8-track now, but it only has 4 inputs and an aux input. So the Tascam will still be handy for tom mics. Anyway, good luck!

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

jscoin,

Those are some good deals. As long as you realize that the Nady mixer is strictly entry level, from what the description says, it'll be a good first mixer.

Personally, I'd get that mixer instead of a tape-based four track, then buy a copy of N-tracks http://www.fasoft.com (about $30.00US), and record on your computer. There are all sorts of freeware plugins (effects) available for download on the internet. N-tracks is a great program to learn the basics of disk based recording and they have a super forum filled with very knowledgable people (including the author of the program who shows up almost every day.

Bob

(Can't you tell my work is slow today?)

jscoin,

You would just hook the L/R out from the mixer to the line-in of your soundcard. This would, of course, limit you to only recording two tracks at a time but, a low end four-track would have that same limitation without the ability to add unlimited tracks.

Unfortunately, I really don't know much about the quality differences between the Nady and the Behringer. Based on what I read from the MF website I'd say the Behringer, just because it has real faders instead of knobs. Although, the Nady does have six mic inputs. Both are pretty close.

Bob

Archived