Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fast Hands Fast Feet

felix stein

Fur Fast Hands what are your techniques?

I seem to be getting the best speed these days with the stick in my first joint fulcrum-pulling with fingers of course. I started on the moogel pad earlier this week and I am feeling development in all my finger, forearm muscles.

I sort of combine a small moeller movement and apply it for some pulse on the downbeat. It is hard at high speeds not to accent with this technique. I like this reduced moeller motion-it sorta relieves my muscles and cycles them like a rubber band or something. Am I on the right track or do I need a tune up? I think I need to set up a mirror again. I also think I need to get another playing surface...such as a real feel pad.

Any suggestions? I'd like to hit 1000 if at all possible and do at least 900 smoothly.

Oh by the way...I am very happy today. I just got an E-mail from La La Land to record on my friend's next cd-I guess he liked the 4 song demo I did for him last year so much that he just had to have the "cat" back. His last one was fast and he told me this one was faster-oh boy! I need to start woodshedding big time.

Thanks,

Felix

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You go Felix!

The Moeller Technique will serve you well. I know you are not the greatest Weckl fan, but check out my review of the newest Weckl video. You would be well served to check it out. He describes this free motion technique in this.

By the way, Felix ... are you a dairy farmer by chance? I notice you get up in the morning with the cows! (In Tennessee that means early!) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

DJ

Felix, I love the soybean thing! that's Funny Stuff! If you want to hear what the Fastest feet in the World sound like ck. Tim Waterson's (wfd world champion) site at www.drumcanman.com you can download a sample of his record there, i believe it is aver 1200 in doubles with heel and toe. Are you a farmer?

Oh, boy: Felix:

I did not mean to get something started about you being a farmer!

I guess you would be if one considered cultivating your drum craft as harvesting!

By the way, Dave Weckl, changed his stick technique two years ago with the help of Freddie Gruber. He now uses a Moeller technique which is less rigid than his old playing style.

See ya Soy!

DJ

Check out a Portnouy video!The man has got speed in his ears!

It amazes me to see Mikes' really intricate original riffs played with such mind blowing speed.

Just for debate>>>Why do so many drummers put so much value on speed,there's so much more to drumming!Don't get me wrong speed has its time and place but to me the most difficult aspect of drumming is playing those super slow,soft ballads.When playing at fast tempo at least you have a groove to fall into,but that slow shit is a whole different mindset!I think maybe dynamic rather than groove would apply.

ian*

ian*

I am with you ian:

I do not knock those that play fast, but It certainly has never been my forte'.

While in Drum Corps, I did develop endurace and a certain degree of speed.

I just have never been one to lay down a Buddy Rich solo!

I just play the music!

DJ

Archived