Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

working in the studio

mrthirsty

Just wanted to know some other peoples experiences working in the studio. Did you make the producer/engineer happy? How do you critique yourself listening back to the tracks you played? Are you a perfectionist? or take a more casual approach to what you think is a good track.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're just getting started on our studio project...but, basically, we put Doug (our drum dude) on the spot, as is usual, right off, with scratch guitar and as much bass as possible.

Then we took a break (I mean like a few days or a week or two) to listen to the tracks, and critiqued which were keepers and which were canners. Then we'll add the rest of the parts. Being as I feel the drums are about the most important part, 'cause they make or break whether a song "feels" right or not, I'm pretty picky, but I'm laid back at the same time, as I don't think a billion takes (and the resultant undue pressure) can make for a good track.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I find it very relaxing and fun. I used to get red light fright back in college when we started really getting into it but now I look forward to it. I love recording my own stuff than playing live.

Since I'm not a pro I don't have to be under the gun. I find that when more people bitch and tell me how to play I submit dry and tentative performances.

Just do it as much as possible. Some sessions my groove is incredible some times my groove is well, definitely not incredible. For me it's a state of mind. I always look at recording as a snapshot of that particular moment in time. You don't always take a great picture do you? If nothing is obviously wrong, we leave it go. Personality in music is a good thing-in my opinion *notice disclaimer.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course ... Nashville is somewhat different, but that is because of the circle of players that dominate the studios ... be it "A" players or "B" players.

If you are on the "A" list, you are expected to make the track the first take! If you are a "B" player, you usually get two.

Those of us that fall outside of those first two categories usually are dealing with smaller demo projects where there is time to talk a song through and determine what it is that the person is truly searching for.

Most of the guys that I know that fall in the A or B list, usually go in and due to the tremendous playing time they have logged, they know from listening to a scratch demo less drums ... what exactly to play. It always amazes me!

I guess that is why I perform more live dates than studio dates!

DJ

Archived