Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite piece of equipment on your set?

drumtrav

I would like to know what your favorite piece of equipment is on you current set.

For me it is a toss-up between my snare and my hats.

I bought a Pearl Free-Floating 3.5X14 Maple Picolo Snare in Wine Red Stain. It was a scratch-n-dent item and I got a good deal. It took me several days to find the scratch (more like a chip) in the chrome plating. When I first got this snare, I was taken by the sheer beauty of the drum. I then tuned it very tight (that's what I like). I played it several times and this SOB was loud. It had a very loud crack to it. To my suprise, I didn't have to muffle it, put any dead-ringers on it, or tape down the snare's. When played directly in the middle, you very little resosnace out if it and a loud crack. When played between the edge and then middle you get a very pleasant popping sound. The rim shot's are unbelievable as well.

My hats are Sabian's 13" AAX stage hats in brilliant finish. The thing that most impresses me about them, is that no matter at what volume you play them, they still hold their true sound. They just have a nice chick sound to them, and have good stick definition.

Drumtrav

Drumtrav

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think every drummer loves their snare the most...it normally defines your sound more than any other piece. For instance...I know Bruford's playing on a tune immediately just by the sound of his snare. My brother and I have both put a lot of time and effort into our snare drums.

I also love my Splash...nothing like it for cool accents that cut through without annoying anyone.

It's a bit of a toss up for me. My favourite piece that I currently own is my 14x5.5 Brady snare. It's got sound up the wazoo. I also have a soft spot for a china which I broke on tour in '92 - it was a Paiste 18" Sound Creation Dark China. I wish I could go back in time and buy a dozen of the damned things - best sounding china I've ever played.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking drums ... My 6X10 DW "side-snare" is my fav. It has the coolest punch! Every time I play it ... all the guys turn and smile!

If you are talking cymbals ... I have an 18" HH Sabian China inverted with a Sabian Alien disk suspended (separated by one felt) over the china. The rivets of the disk create a swish sound, and the bell sound of the Alien disk allow me to play cool ride patterns and achieve a swish knocker effect. I have a 6" Sabian Radia Cup Chime (inverted and separated by one more felt) on top of the Alien Disk. This allows for even more effects. The multi-tasking of these three items make this "combo-cymbal" my favorite!

DJ

It's hard for me to pick a "favorite" because I like it ALL!!!!!!

If I had to pick just one thing it would probably be my Sabian 16" HH Thin Crash. Someone always comments about that cymbal; live, studio, it doesn't matter.

I also have an "annointed" Sabian 17" HH Suspended that I really love. I've used it on tons of recordings and live perc/orchestral work.

Peace,

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Rebonn:

I actually remember going to a John Denver concert as a kid ... only because I wanted to see Hal Blaine play!

John Denver did a song called Calipso and Hal played this big brass ships bell!

What a memory! What a sound! What a player!

DJ

Hey Dendy, you're not gonna believe this one but I also saw John Denver during that same period and saw Hal Blaine play on "Calypso"... what a killer drum part all the way around, but yeah, the ship's bell really did it to me, too!

--Lee

it's a tie between my brass dynasonic snare, dw delta ii kick pedal, 16" 'k' constantinople crash, or my hats- the zildjian 'avedis vintage' bottom hat on top, with a paiste soundedge bottom (the vintage hats by themselves are kind of lame).

the kick pedal is a joy to use, and the snare and give me chills, it sound so good!

the hats now.... the avedis bottom is a medium, so using it as a top hat is easy- the soundedge gives it all the sparkle and bite it needs, while the mellow character of the 'top' hat gives it a really classy attack.

if you have a chance to try out this combo, do it! a zildjian mastersound 'a custom' will work for the bottom, too. substituting a newbeat top sounds very similar as well...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely my woodhooped 14x5.5 Ayotte snare. From Copeland's Crack *ick!*

to Bruford's Bong, this thing does it all.

Or maybe the 10x8.5 tom, or the 12x10, or the 14x12, or the 16x14....

Or maybe the 22x18 Kick of Death.

Sorry, just got a killer deal and I have to brag to SOMEONE...

Doc

Or maybe...

Archived