Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Jack DeJohnette Feature on MusicPlayer.com 5/11/01

djarrett

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack DeJohnette is a drummer's drummer and one of my favorites. What a lot of people don't know is Jack is an incredible jazz pianist as well.

I saw Jack DeJohnette at PASIC in Atlanta ... I think back in 1994. For his clinic at the conference he played a one hour drum solo; never saying a word. I'm not one for drum solos ... quite frankly, I'm usually bored by them because they lack musicianship. Well let me tell you, this was one of the most moving musical experiences of my life. Jack didn't just play the drums ... he made music, composing before my vary eyes! It was INCREDIBLE. It moved me so much that I felt like crying it was so beautiful.

I own several of Jack's albums and to be honest, I am not that thrilled with them. Don't get me wrong, the albums are happening ... but pale in comparison to hearing and seeing him live on stage with only his Sonor drumkit and no one else.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey Bart!

I was at that PASIC and saw the same DeJohnette performance!

At the time I was Interim President of Slingerland Drum Company (Gibson USA) and was there with Gregg Bissonette. I am the guy that Introduced Gregg's Performance.

That was a Great PASIC.

DJ

By the way ... Jack DeJohnette uses Aquarian Drumheads . If you've never tried Aquarian heads, I highly recommend that you at least check out the snare batter head for starters!

The consistancy of each head is incredible, and the texture coatings last a VERY LONG TIME!

I've been using Aquarian heads for over 10 years now and I absolutely love them!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived