Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum notation software

Brenton Trott

With all this talk of reading and writing, can I have some opinions on drum notation software.

I use a macintosh and I won't be scoring any big musicals, I just want something pretty easy to use to write fairly basic drum patterns for students.

Thanks for any help folks.

Brenton

Cheers

Brenton

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally use Finale, which is probably more than what you need. I don't know of any other programs that would meet your needs and cost very little. Encore and Sibelius are two other notation programs that are very nice, but not cheap.

One thought might be to use a sequencing program; they tend to be a little less expensive. Although the sequencing programs are made for sequencing and not notation, they do offer some basic notation features. In the same way, notation programs typically have simple sequencing features.

Perhaps there are some others out there that have more experience with other notation programs.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Brenton:

I also use Finale and the Bart, know of no other less expensive or less complicated programs. Finale has a large learning curve. If not for a book by Back Beat Books (one of our own divisions) called The Finale Primer, by Bill Purse, I would be totally lost!

There is also the little issue of cost!!

Let's hope someone out there can lead the way to something that is drum specific!

Thanks,

DJ

I have heard great things about Sibelius ... you might want to check it out and see how much it costs. From what I hear from my colleagues, Sibelius is so much easier to learn than Finale. A lot of old guys like me who have been using Finale for a long time won't convert over because it's too much of a hassle. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

But for someone who is getting their first program, it may be worth it to get Sibelius.

Remember ... you get what you pay for. Cheap programs typically look cheap in the final product. Do the best that you can, but also realize this is an investment. The high end programs usually have free updates and support; cheap programs typically do not. You'll also find more assistance from other users of high end programs. The "no name" programs ... you may be on your own for a long, long time.

Good Luck!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived