Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing loops live?...

nradinahotmail.com

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a question about playing live with loops. Currently, I'm playing timbales with a straight up salsa group I'm interested in triggering a guiro and/or maraca loop when I play live. The product I'm looking at is the BOSS SP202. My question is can I "trigger" this unit to start and stop? Either with a footswitch or a conventioal trigger?

Thanks for all the help!!

Keep up the great forum!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, nradina:

Welcome to Drum Talk! I am digging into your question and will hope to have you an answer soon!

Go to the "Inquiring Minds Want To Know" thread and tell us more about you!

Thanks,

DJ

Originally posted by nradina@hotmail.com:

Currently, I'm playing timbales with a straight up salsa group I'm interested in triggering a guiro and/or maraca loop when I play live. The product I'm looking at is the BOSS SP202. My question is can I "trigger" this unit to start and stop? Either with a footswitch or a conventioal trigger?

I don't know about the BOSS SP202. I use a drumKAT which triggers sounds from my AKAI sampler and various sound modules. I perform live with it from time to time. Did a LIVE performance with a trio which was performing songs from our recent album. Since I tracked several layers of percussion in the studio, I only had two hands for the performance. For the LIVE event, I used my hi-hat pedal trigger on the drumKAT to trigger a shaker; playing it with my foot. The tempo was brisk to say the least, so I had the drumKAT play two shaker sounds for every tap of my foot. I knew the tempo of the song (152 bpm), so I knew what the spacing need to be if I wanted the eighth note shaker. It was very cool and worked well since the song had starts and stops in it. I simply tapped the pedal in quarter notes and it played eighth note shakers.

It sounds like you are wanting a sequence to play the shaker or guiro part. The drumKAT can do that too; it has a built in sequencer. I would guess that the BOSS unit would work great for your application. I know a lot of DJ's use it. The question is, does it have a foot switch jack so that you can use a foot pedal or a trigger to start and stop it. If nothing else, you could just push a button, and you're off!

I often play a real shaker with one hand and congas/bongos with the other. Do the same thing on the drumkit, substituting the hi-hat part for a real shaker. Tube shakers, caxixi, fruit shake, egg shake ... they all work great; you just have to find the right shaker sound for the song. Go to the lesson pages on my web site and check out the Latin/Funk Groove #1 for Percussion. Or just have a listen to the MP3 Example . I'm playing a cascara pattern on the shell of the timbale with my right hand, congas with my left, and a cowbell with my right foot using the LP Gajate pedal attachment. The groove is notated on the web site (for those who read). Guess I could have hooked up the drumKAT and played a shaker part with my left foot! LOL

Good luck with the salsa band; I bet it's a blast ... and working with the loop will surely prove to be a joy!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Man, I hear you about the learning curve. There is some much out there; something new popping up every few months. At least most of the technology crosses over from device to device.

The real bummer is the reality that as soon as you by the latest and greatest gear, it's obsolete in less than a year usually.

I try to buy gear that is upgradeable; preparing for the future.

I've upgraded the software on my drumKAT two times to date. What a great piece of gear; I absolutely love this thing.

The AKAI S6000 sampler I bought several months ago seems to be very versatile too. I'm digging it, but haven't had much time to real get into it much yet.

You know, my problem is that I take months, even years to research a product before I buy it. By the time I make a decision, a new model has come out to replace it. As I mentioned in a past post, I'm just not getting around to buying a drum rack! LOL I guess part of the problem is that I love drums and percussion equally well ... so money is divided between them when it comes to buying gear. But now another monster has reared it's ugly head ... electronic gear. Now my finances are divided three ways! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived