Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedal Preference?

djarrett

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by felix stein:

dw's...high velocity...loudest and most prone to f'n break

Its wierd because there is something very nice about the way a DW feels...but for some reason they do tend to fail more frequently.

THe axis i have failed once, after pretty close scrutiny, and having pretty much serviced the pedal myself for a year or so - i realized it was more of a design issue then a wear & tear issue. I sent it back to Axis (engineered percussion) they completly rehabbed the pedal, and its been working great ever since. Its almost too smooth, y'know? I think that why most folks dont like them...they are used to the slap back of a DW...

ajc

My favourite is still my old Pearl P-880 (chain on a sprocket). I've bought a new Axis double pedal but haven't managed to get it set up properly yet. I'm sure I'll love it when it's set up properly but for now my old Pearl makes me smile.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Rodgers Swiv-o-matic for most of my drumming life. I purchased two of them new back in 1970. They are quite flimsy (lightweight) by today's standards. Still using the original rawhide straps believe it or not. I occaisionally soak them in machine oil. I've always used a 26" kick, and am known to play it hard. One time I had the idea to go to a wood beater back when most everyone used Dr. Scholls mole skin patches to protect the head from the mallet. The wood beater actually melted thru the mylar head in the middle of a tune one night! I now use felt beaters and replace them as they wear out. I play those old swiv-o-matics till I die. IMHO the BD pedal is the heart of the kit, and each of us is loyal to our personal favorites.

rytch

• 1 month later...

I remember playing my first real pedal ... (that was not some facimale of a pedal) ... A 1965 Ludwig Speedking ... great pedal ... squeek and all! That pedal has long since met its demise.

Another great pedal was a 1966 Gretsh Free Floater with a leather strap.

I now use a DW 5000 turbo with a ground effects kit and spoilers ... double sprocket cam over double chain driven ... Get great looks too! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

DJ

I am very happy with my Gibralter Intruder II double pedals.Very smooth,quiet and rugged.It's loaded w/some pretty cool features too.Dbl cam sprocket/chain,side access hoop clamp,independantly adjustable beater angle,velcro on the bottom of the plates.Very stable.Definately a good one for the money.Ive got the matching liquid hat stand w/rotating base.

ian*

ian*

I have purchashed the Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide pedal. I have not yet become tired of using this pedal. It is very quite and very smooth. There are a lot of adjustments to make on this as well. The only gripe I had is the toe stops. It took awhile to get those things off. Seems like they put them on with impact wrenches or something.

Drumtrav

Drumtrav

the pearl eliminator was the first 'hi-end' pedal i treated myself to, and i liked it a lot- 'til i tried my first dw 5000 pedal!

i put dr scholl's lady's heel inserts on the heel pad of the pearl pedal, as the smooth surface of the pedal was hard to get a solid grip on in socks.

the dw 5000 has that great knobby heel pad- it's EXACTLY what i always wanted!

the drumkey clip is a neat idea too!

i think if the eliminator had a 'rougher' heel pad i wouldn't have even bothered looking at any others, as it's a fine piece of gear. but now it's hanging out as a backup.... which is nice to have too!

btw, i was also using the pearl 895 hihat pedal, but i just switched to the dw5500- again, love that heel pad!

oh, i also picked up a pretty excellent condition ludwig speed-king pedal at a garage sale (no kit to go with it, tho)- it was the kind with the split heel.

i raced home to try out my new treasure!

after cleaning it and oiling it up, i stuck it on my rogers 22" kick, and settled in for a marathon skin session.....

holy crap! how on earth did drummers use these things! SQUEEK! SQUEEK! SQUEEK! flubflubflub (the sound of me not getting any power to the beater)!

i have an old swiv-o-matic hihat peadl, and it's not too bad, but this speedking thing is really tough to use! i guess that's one of the reasons i wasn't attracted to drums back in the 70's- crappy pedals!

i never knew how lucky new drummers are today- even the cheapest taiwan pedal i've used is WAY better than this old relic!

that night, i looked adoringly at my dw5000, and swore i'd never be unfaithful again....

I went out and bought a Tama Iron Cobra for my Td 8 kit and I like the feel of it but like Drumtrav said there are a lot of adjustments to make on it. I haven't got it set like the Pearl double pedal I have. I have that one on my acoustic kit. It feels great except it's so old it's loose everywhere. Still plays well, can you get parts for those old beasts still?

Brad

Axis Longboards all the way! If you are into smooth, fast, precision this is the pedal. Tim Waterson is the man with the feet and he can use anything out there, but chooses Axis, see Tim at www.axispercussion.com In LA I got to watch Virgil watch Tim at Axis booth and all Virgil could do is shake his head. Also the Axis Lectro's designed especially for Extreme Sort Drumming events are great if you are triggering. Tim Waterson's site is www.drumcanman.com and his email is listed, great drummer!

Archived