Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Drum Finishes

djarrett

Hey Guys:

For drummers, the color of your set can be as important as choosing a car color is for most folks. What is your favorite drum color. (Please include specifics like, Wood finish -matte, gloss, satin, or Painted-Solid, Transparent, Metal Flake, or Wrapped, Sparkle, Abalone, etc.)

Take it away!

DJ

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a guitar player, but I like several drum finishes...I like the retro Champagne Sparkle that I used to think was nauseating...but, with the retro thing, it's cool. Not for all applications, but, certainly retro. Skinny tie, ducktails, shades, champagne sparkle, a standup bass and a big ol' reverb drenched Gretsch thru an old Fender Tweed...

My other fave finishes are a transparent root beer that shows the wood, I think Tama uses that finish, and one of the coolest ones I've seen is copper, like tympani.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Got to share mine.

I have some general likes that come as stock finishes by most companies:

It is hard to put these in order of preference --

Satin Oil Ebony

White Marine Pearl

Champagne Sparkle

Silver Sparkle

When helping to drive the Mapex and then Slingerland ships, I had the great pleasure of helping to bring master drum finisher, Pat Foley to our teams there. Many of you would know Pat by his early to mid 80's custom kits for the likes of Myron Grombacher (Pat Benetar), Gregg Bissonette (David Lee Roth), and the only set to ever grace the cover of Time magazine ... Jonathon "Sugarfoot" Moffits Jackson's Victory Tour set.

As far as custom finishes, NO ONE touches the creative finishes Pat has done on kits. One of my all-time favorites was Pat's custom finish on Slingerland Studio Kings, we called Amber Burst. It was breath-taking.

Let's hear about your favs.

DJ

Besides the incredible sound, one reason I fell in love with the Gretsch Broadkaster kit I now own, is because of the beautiful satin rosewood finish and gunmetal-gray hardware. It is soooo beautiful. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

Hey guys, just noticed the new posts here about drum finshes...

Pat Foley at Slingerland does(did) rock. Last I heard he had moved to England to work with Art/Rep. for Slingerland/Gibson...Still to oversee the finishing, and do a few himself as needed.But who really know what Gibson is up to with the Slingerland line nowadays...?? Kinda sad http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

We happen to have the Champagne Sparkle (Burmuda Sand) on sale right now, best $$ ever

Drum Supply House 800 NEW DRUM

We have many other cool exotic pearls and more...

http://www.drummaker.com/finishes/

Any drum builders out there may want to drop in on our forum:

http://www.drummaker.com/talk/

Have fun, your forum rocks!

This message has been edited by newdrum on 04-17-2001 at 11:31 PM

Originally posted by newdrum:

"Hey guys, just noticed the new posts here about drum finshes...

Pat Foley at Slingerland does(did) rock. Last I heard he had moved to England to work with Art/Rep. for Slingerland/Gibson...Still to oversee the finishing, and do a few himself as needed.But who really know what Gibson is up to with the Slingerland line nowadays...?? Kinda sad http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif "

Hey Newdrum:

Welcome to Drum Talk:

It is true. Pat Foley does live in England now and oversees Artist Relations for GIBSON only. If you ever have a question for Pat, I e-mail him regularly.

Unfortunately, Gibson has made Slingerland (Import only) a part of their www.musicyo.com web-program. All they offer there is import stuff, however the snare drums are good quality and the price is exeptional. The U.S. built Slingerland product manufacturing was shut down two years ago and was to suppossedly be moved from here in Nashville to Memphis. At the time the projected re-open date was 8 months. Here it is two years later, so ... who knows!?!

Is your Bermuda Sand kit a Studio King? If so, I had a lot to do with the design of that kit along with Pat and Tracy Hoeft. Those were some of the best sounding drums I ever heard. And Bermuda Sand (Champagne Sparkle) one of my fav wraps!

DJ

• 4 months later...

I like Tama's British Racing Green high gloss lacquer on there Starclassic line!Very cool!

I am thinking of building a custom snare using Keller shells anyone have any pointers or links?I already have the one newdrum posted!It's a good one by the way and welcome newdrum!

ian*

ian*

The two finishes that stand out to me is on Pearl's Masters custom. It is called Blue fade. It starts as a very dark blue and gradually fades to black. I saw this on a kit that had the gold hardware on it.

We just got a new DW in the drum shop at Guitar Center, and it's called Cherry Fade. It came with the black hardware and it is wonderful to look at.

Drumtrav

Drumtrav

Of course ... I think DW's line of Timeless Timber kits made with the 200 year old Maple logs from the bottom of lake Michigan are outrageous.

Also, check my article on Summer NAMM:

http://www.musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2228,Features--5171703,00.html

Pearl's limited edition Purple Storm kit with the Satin Nickle Hardware is stunning!

DJ

Well for me, after years and years and years and years and years and years of seeing drums in: silver sparkle, champagne sparkle, white marine pearl, black oyster pearl and solid black, I prefer to never have to see any of those 5 finishes again. I don't hate them, mind you. But after so many sets for so many years, it's like hearing the same 5 songs for 40 years. I like 'em, I just don't wanna hear or see 'em all the doggone time.

I prefer wraps, though the big kick nowadays seems to be stains. I like stains on guitars, not on drums. Don't know why. Just the way it hits me, I guess. I prefer drums sets that have a bit of visual draw. Something to bring them out toward the front of the stage. IMHO, drummers are typically relegated to that 'shut up and play' position, anyway. Screw that! LMAO!

So that could be a bright color for the set, a grapic design maybe, perhaps something interesting on the front bass drum head. COULD be a natural finish on the shells. But ONLY if the wood is REAL interesting in the first place, IMO. Has an interesting grain. Something like possibly a GOOD, REAL GOOD Birdseye Maple. Something like that. Otherwise, to me, with stuff like plain Birch, Maple, Beech, etc., ho-hum. What am I playin' on, a coffee table? Even Butcher Block was different, though I always thought it looked like someone playing on a cutting board, LOL.

Again, just my personal preferences. No personal disparities cast on any fellow drummer who sits inconspicously in the background and keeps a tight groove on his Maple Customs. That's his preference, his gig. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

well my fave is tequila sunburst on the tama starclassic range,i think its a beautiful finish.i would love a kit that colour.i agree on some aspects that a drums should be wraped and not stained my only for this is that it protects the drum better.but i think u can't get some fantastic looks using either method.

the colour of my current kit is amber mist which i like,but i prefere fades to anything.

Archived