Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4 or 5 string

DAVIDTGRIFFITH

I sold a musicman stingray last year and have been beating myself ever since,but i needed the cash and I still had a couple of very nice fenders.I got some cash together again and decided to get another one.A friend of mine was selling a stingray 5 for 1000 a steal at the price and it is in better condition than if i bought it new....Anyway my question is this,is playing a five string like cheating on your wife! i have always loved playing 4 string an now it feels like cheating...but i love it,the extra growl from that B and not to mention the fact that i no longer need to drop a semi tone just to fit our singers voice!

please help me feel less dirty........

Fender S1 P Bass-Fender Jazz Special'86-Musicman Stingray 5-SWR super redhead+SWR 15 cab

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gives you more options re: where you can play the low-notes (and few *more* low notes).

I'd just watch the string-spacing. I switched from the classic Fender P/J string-spacing to a 6-string Ibanez. It took a little getting used-to. Things would have been worse if I slapped (but I don't).

You should leave yourself open to new options of expression as a musician. If that means having an additional tool at your disposal to express yourself musically, then maybe you need to do just that. Your first loyalty should be to yourself as a musician, not to some well crafted piece of wood and metal that helps you create sounds.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I sorta felt the same way when I first picked up the 5, now I'm contemplating trying out the 6! I guess it's like they say: it's much easier to cheat the second time. ;):D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Wow, I must really be bad, I have two 5 string basses. I do keep them each in thier respective cases and never pull out more than one at a time so they should never come in contact and find out about each other. My four string basses know about the fivers but they just put up with it because I still give them plenty of love. :D

In all seriousness, it's good to branch out and try something new. New ideas and ispirations can be had by one simple change. Embrace it, don't be too quick to judge and if you find in the end that you don't like that bass, just ship it to me and it will have a good loving home. ;)

I use a five almost exclusively when performing live. In the studio I will usually use the 4 string Modulus-necked Jazz unless the song calls for lower notes. You can get anything done with a 4, no question. On the other hand,the five string is what I'm used to while singing lead & my choice of scale length(36") makes playing figures below E a reality. I will always have both around.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Even though it's already bought, yea, 5 all the way. I played a 4 my first year, then bought a 5, and can't say it was a bad choice... especially since one of the bands I'm in, tunes down a full step. The only thing I miss the 4 is the string spacing (for slappin), but I've gotten used to the 5, still not great at it, but I'm getting there.

Now I've been contemplating a 6, but I'm wondering if my years of guitar will throw me off (aren't the high strings on a bass tuned to C, whereas a guitar is B?)

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Originally posted by polyrhythm:

...cut...

Now I've been contemplating a 6, but I'm wondering if my years of guitar will throw me off (aren't the high strings on a bass tuned to C, whereas a guitar is B?)

The high string on a 6-string bass is indeed C - which equates to next-to the highest on a guitar (B).

I just made the switch from 5 to 6 and it didn't take all that long to adjust, so I'd say go for it. My slapping is equally bad on the 5 as it is on the 6 :D

Personally I think it's a lousy excuse to say "I have a 5/6 string so I can't slap on it". To quote a B-flick I used to love:

At Shaolin "can't" doesn't exist, only "won't".
I think it's Jason who has a 7-string, and he is said to slap some mean lines on that bass. So out with all those excuses, get to practising (buy Stuart Clayton's book, for instance - works for me)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

I just made the switch from 5 to 6 and it didn't take all that long to adjust, so I'd say go for it. My slapping is equally bad on the 5 as it is on the 6 :D

Personally I think it's a lousy excuse to say "I have a 5/6 string so I can't slap on it". To quote a B-flick I used to love:

At Shaolin "can't" doesn't exist, only "won't".
I think it's Jason who has a 7-string, and he is said to slap some mean lines on that bass. So out with all those excuses, get to practising (buy Stuart Clayton's book, for instance - works for me)
True, for the record Ed Friedland can slap the heck out of a 6 string! So don't let anyone convince you that it can't be done.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I completely made the switch to the fiver 3 years ago, and not planning on going back, sold two 4's to buy my main axe in fact. This is just my opinion, but I would highly recommend a 35" scale if you are seriously considering a 5. Really makes a difference tone-wise with the B string, and the stretch really isn't all that noticeable.

Why not both? I have a 4 and a 5. I use the 5 more right now as it fits my gigs. I keep the 4 around as it's fun to play and was a gift from my wife. I wish I could use it on gigs more - maybe if the repertoire changes I will - but for now it just gets some play time at home.

In a perfect world, I'd probably sell them both and get a Modulus Q5 - the only bass I really regret selling.

I think playing only one is a matter of taste, and is influenced by the type(s) of music that you are playing. I love my Kinal 5, but I could enjoy playing a 4 in my rock band.

SteveC - so why not? While I'm not a fan of turning lots of equipment, this seems do-able. The bass pictured below is on ebay starting at $1500 - it may take some patience to find the right pricing for you, but why not?

http://i24.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/7f/59/8797_12.JPG

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I do keep my eyes open for just the right bass and deal. Right now I am happy with my BB605 modded with the Barts. But if the stars ever align just right, I would make the move. I can totally get by with one bass. I basicaly do now.

I did see that one on eBay, but I need one with the 3 band Bart preamp and pups.

Originally posted by nadu:

i would say it depends what kind of player you are. If you play heavy slap funky stuff i would say that is goingt o be hard to get used to a fiver.

See my earlier post :evil: Since I made the switch from 5 to 6, slapping (in its ever-so-rudimentary form) has become easier on both instruments :freak:

And I repeat my earlier statement: fellow LowDowner Jason (?) slaps a 7-string.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 5 string, but I deff. know what your talking about. I mean for me its exactly opposite though. I have a 5 string Modulus Q5 and im thinkng about getting a 4 string Warrior. Just becuase for string is just really a whole other instrument when it really comes down to it. I'm trying to see if i can instead of getting the Low B add a High C to make the Warrior a 5 string.
Feel the Vibration of the bass

Looks like I'll have to pull out my typical response to this topic.

Originally posted by ClarkW:

"The Way of the 4-Stringer is the Way of the Lord. All those who add more unto this gospel shall be cast off, to burn with the heathen and the drummers. Amen."

;)

ATM

Well, Bill Dickens does a very impressive job slapping on a 7-string, and that's some really close string spacing (and the man has some really chunky fingers as well!) My personal preference is a wider string spacing (18mm - 19m feels ideal to my hands...the "standard" 17mm like a Stingray5 has always felt just a little too tight), but I'm willing to sacrifice being able to not reach some of the notes high on the B-string...I rarely if ever use those notes anyway.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Why would you feel "dirty" for expanding your horizons?

I mean, there is this electric sitar I got my eyes on, and a lute.... I certainly can't afford to buy both! But neither one would show any disrespect to the electric or classical guitar. which after all, are pieces of wood with wires.

Archived