Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Brown passes away

jeremy c

Truth be told, I'm one of those unsavory 6 string slingers, and have never posted, nor spent any real time here. I did not know of Dave. But, I've read this thread, and have been very moved.

Dave was obviously a special person, who touched many of you in a very real way. When you think about this fact, realizing that most of you only ever saw his typed words, it is amazing that he had such a significant impact on all of you. This speaks volumes about the kind of man Dave must have been. The power of his typed thoughts moved many.

My deepest sympathies go to Dave's family, and to everyone who cared about him. Dave is at peace now. I hope his family can also find peace, in spite of this terrible occurance. His legacy, and the positive impact he had on the world will live on.

As a physician, I want to mention that if you ever have a significant thump on the chest....the classic is a car wreck where you either hit the steering wheel, or airbag, and subsequently feel back pain....SEE A DOCTOR, AND MAKE SURE THEY DO A CHEST X RAY. It sounds like Dave suffered a traumatic anerysm of his aorta. Your heart literally hangs inside of your chest. When your body suddenly decelerates, like in a car accident, your heart wants to continue going forward. As it does this, it can tear it's support structures, including the aorta. Once the aorta tears, it may lead to an aneurysm, and severe bleeding, and sadly death. Some that have this happen to them die instantly. Some don't even realize that they have a significant injury!! At first it may just feel like a sore back, easily attributed to muscle stiffness after the car wreck. But, this traumatic aneurysm would cause back pain that gets worse over time, unlike a sore muscle that should improve steadily.

So, back pain that gets worse (i.e. doesn't go away) after a bang to your chest....see your doctor, or go to the emergency room without delay. Here are a few links if you want to learn more about this. I apologize if anyone feels that this is too "graffic". But, my hope is that this tragedy may lead others to learn, and hopefully someone, somewhere down the line may live due to early diagnosis.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/heart/aa/aa.about.htm?s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|560191153

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/heart/aa/aa.about.dissection.htm

God Bless Dave, his family, and his memory!

Another man done gone.......

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I had been around for longer and known him better. I'm very sad to hear about this. It's just starting to "hit me."

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

I haven't been too present here in the past months, but I must post regarding this.

Every time Dave would start a thread, even if it was something I wasn't too interested in, I would read it. I know it always promised to be well spoken and have tons of knowledge. I read all his posts slowly and with purpose.

I would think about how he was a music teacher, and the different and great impacts my music teachers had on me in school. Exposing me to great music, the instruments, the way to work as a band. So I did not know Dave in person... but when I read his threads, I imagined all the great things from my school music teachers rolled into one. His attitude and knowlege is what brought this on.

Best wishes to his freinds and family. I know his spirit will live on.

On that note, I hope that a memorial to Dave can be posted on www.bassplayerheaven.com , headed up by ConnieZ. A great contribution to this forum she has created. I went and looked at it tonight. There are two people on that page, one who I knew personally. It's really sad to lose another family member here and this would be just one more way to express our appreciation for our fellow bass playing brother. Connie, when you have the time, if I can help please let me know.

Mike

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Bass Player Heaven - Where the drummers play with impeccable time, small kits and big, nasty pocket.

The singers are humble, actually know the forms, keys and can write their own charts if they have to.

The guitar player tune before they play, they have to be coerced into a solo and their amps only go up to "3".

The keyboard players comp beautifully and NEVER step on the bass parts.

The horn players...I am sure you all get it by now.

Godspeed, Dave, you'll be missed.

I miss him now. Who is going to patiently walk me through the steps of restringing my upright? Especially when I was too embarrassed to ask any of the local guys.

Originally posted by mdrs:

As a physician, I want to mention that if you ever have a significant thump on the chest....the classic is a car wreck where you either hit the steering wheel, or airbag, and subsequently feel back pain....SEE A DOCTOR, AND MAKE SURE THEY DO A CHEST X RAY. It sounds like Dave suffered a traumatic anerysm of his aorta. Your heart literally hangs inside of your chest. When your body suddenly decelerates, like in a car accident, your heart wants to continue going forward. As it does this, it can tear it's support structures, including the aorta. Once the aorta tears, it may lead to an aneurysm, and severe bleeding, and sadly death. Some that have this happen to them die instantly. Some don't even realize that they have a significant injury!! At first it may just feel like a sore back, easily attributed to muscle stiffness after the car wreck. But, this traumatic aneurysm would cause back pain that gets worse over time, unlike a sore muscle that should improve steadily.

So, back pain that gets worse (i.e. doesn't go away) after a bang to your chest....see your doctor, or go to the emergency room without delay. Here are a few links if you want to learn more about this. I apologize if anyone feels that this is too "graffic". But, my hope is that this tragedy may lead others to learn, and hopefully someone, somewhere down the line may live due to early diagnosis.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/heart/aa/aa.about.htm?s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|560191153

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/heart/aa/aa.about.dissection.htm

God Bless Dave, his family, and his memory!

Another man done gone.......

Yep, I know this all too well. When I had a car accident over three years ago, this was one of the first things the docs checked up on. It's sad that things didn't fare better for Dave... :(

I've been more of a lurker lately, but I've always enjoyed reading his answers.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/engel/angel-smiley-002.gif

Oh, wow... this is incredibly sad and shocking. May his wonderful soul rest easy with the Lord. My prayers to his family.

You will be missed, Dave :(

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I was surprised to hear that Dave was my age, he had much more wisdom and insight. Maybe we could get something that his church and school bands can use that will remind them of Dave when they play. Jeremy, I hope you'll let Dave's family know that he'll be missed by more than a few regulars. RIP

www.ethertonswitch.com

Dave\'s Obituary in the newspaper

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/davebrown.jpg

David Edwin Brown

1955 - 2006

David Edwin Brown, 51, a music teacher, passed away Thursday, Dec. 14, 2006, at a Fort Worth hospital.

Funeral: 2 p.m. Monday at Trinity United Methodist Church, 3321 W Park Row Drive, Arlington, with the Rev. David Waser officiating. Burial: Brown Family Cemetery in Bledsoe, Ky. Visitation: The family will receive friends 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Wade Family Funeral Home, 4140 W Pioneer Pkwy, Arlington.

Memorials: The family requests, in lieu of flowers, that memorials be made to a family fund at Trinity United Methodist Church, Arlington. Also, in David's memory, a scholarship fund is being set up for the music department at Southwest High School, 4100 Alta Mesa Blvd, Fort Worth 76133.

David was born Sept. 8, 1955, in Detroit, Mich., to Percy and Freddie Brown. David had lived in Arlington since 1973 and was a graduate of UTA and Arlington Baptist College. He was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Arlington, where he played in the Praise Band.

David belonged to the Texas Music Educators Association, where he served as region chairman. He was also a TMEA adjucator and had recently been appointed to the State Ethics Committee.

David performed in the New Philharmonic of Irving for 15 years and was known throughout the state for his double bass studio. David was a music teacher at Southwest High School in Fort Worth for the past 10 years.

Survivors: Wife, Deborah Brown; son, Justin Brown; daughters, Rachel Brown and Angela Brown, all of Arlington; parents, Freddie and P.E. Brown of Bledsoe, Ky.; mother-in-law, Billie Herndon of Everman; brother, Darrell Brown of Bledsoe, Ky.; sisters, Donna Gilstrap of Ashland City, Tenn., and Danese Christmas of New Carlisle, Ohio; granddaughter, Ella Rinn Brown.

Published in the Star-Telegram on 12/17/2006.

Online Guestbook

I have just returned from a few days vacation and have only just read this thread. I am literally in tears as I type this.

Dave Brown was truly one of the great ones. I have always respected his civility, his caring, his humor, and his passion for educating. He has been an invaluable resource to me both on-line and off-line.

I wish all the best to his family, friends, colleagues, and students during this trying time.

Luv'n'peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Wow. This is not what I expected after returning from a few days without power.

I can't ever say the right thing in times like this. All the best to his family and friends. Way too soon to go on to the great gig in the sky.

This thread is very moving. I encourage people to go back and re-read the whole thing.

Man, I read through all the posts again (4th time) and it still hits me like the first time. This is a big reminder of how fragile life really is.

Without Dave it feels as though our foundation is crumbling. It's like listening to a band and all of a sudden the bass cuts out.

Among other things, Dave always made me felt that there is so much I don't know about music, and wish I did.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Dave and I grew up and played together in high school. I knew Dave even before he took up the bass. Even in high school Dave had a way of making you feel good about yourself, and could use your short-comings to inspire you to do what he seemed to know you could do. That's why he was a great teacher, and an even greater friend.

For anyone that didn't know him, I'm putting up a memorial page on my website with a few pictures from the last time he came to visit in Fla. Go to www.audiev.com and click on the "Dave's Memorial Page" link.

Good-bye, my old friend. My 5-string and I will both miss you.

AJ, great pictures on your site. Thanks so much for coming over and sharing them with us.

I hope all here will follow the link on Jeremy's posting and sign the Online Guest Book for Dave's family. Beautiful sentiments from good people about an extraordinary man.

Play. Just play.

I've been out of town over the weekend (playing my first gig with the touring band), and I just came on here... Unexpected and shocking news for sure. I offer my condolences to Dave's family and to everyone who has been touched by him in some way. Makes me stop and think none of us is guaranteed another day on this earth. I have always believed that at any given moment something could happen that can and will completely alter the course of one's life.. that includes the possibility the good Lord may decide it's your turn to come home.

Most of us have gotten to know Dave through this forum, and I couldn't think of a better way to honor his memory than for each of us to continue to follow the example he has shown us here.

Archived