Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st time playing Bass Guitar

Noob1

Hi, everyone. I'm getting a bass guitar. The problem is I've never played regular or electric guitar before. Basically, I don't know how to play guitar or Bass. I wonder where should I start? Can use guitar lesson to learn bass? What's the difference between guitar and bass?

What you guys think about this bass guitar? It has 4 strings. Should I go for 5 or more strings?

ESP LTD B50 Bass Guitar

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6530/espltdb50uz9.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many here who know more than I, but let me chime in. From what you say, with no experience on either instrument, you could just go at it yourself, but I think you need at least a few lessons from a player just to get you to a point where you can advance on your own. Maybe lessons on a DVD might work for you, I don't know, never saw one myself, but I think you at least need that. I don't think anyone can tell you 'how' to play on a forum, only suggest what you need to do in order to learn.

Enjoy.

I think you have made a wise decision. The bass is a wonderful way to make music. I would start out with a good instruction book with a CD. This will teach you the very basics. How to tune the bass, the notes of each string and each fret.

Hand a finger position. Within the first 6 weeks, locate a respected bass guitar teacher and you can progress properly. The bass is a great instrument to play along with recorded music so dig out your favorite CDs and learn to play along. Good luck and enjoy. Remember, practice, practice, practice.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

thank you for reply, kerk and Rocky MacDougall. You guys help alot. I was kinda hesitate learnin a bass at first.

I'm going sign up for a beginning guitar class (they only teach acoutic guitar. But I hope I could use it to play bass guitar).

I'm definitely gettin the bass guitar above. I hope 4 string bass guitar is the right one (really don't want to get more than one bass guitar).

Personnally I would recommed a new player starting with the 4 string. It's just a little easier to learn. There will pleanty of time in the future to move up. Many great, great players use a 4 string.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

You'll probably want a bigger amp than "makes sense" initially. Although you can hear nice tight bass through a stereo with recorded music (MP3, etc.), with a real unprocessed bass, you need a *huge* amp compared with a boom-box or a typical stereo.

Look into amps as well as basses.

For starting out I think it will be easier with a four string. That LTD looks like a good starter bass that will satisfy you for many years. Ultimately you will get curious about other fish and want to try something different. It's happened to all of us.

by PhilMan99:

Look into amps as well as basses.

+1. For starting out, a good amp is more important than a good bass. You'll need about 250 watts or more.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Originally posted by jlrush:

+1. For starting out, a good amp is more important than a good bass. You'll need about 250 watts or more.

I agree with jlrush, you'll probably not want to mess around with an amp of less than 250 - 300 watts......that is, once you start gigging, which is a while off. Until then, a quality practice amp of 20 watts is fine for bedroom rehearsal. My 20 watt Peavey microbass works fine for me. I just want to hear myself, not shake the walls, when I practice alone. When your ready to work with a band, try and jump up to about 300 watts. I wouldn't waste money on smaller units as inevitabally, you would find they are too small to get a clean signal in many situations, especially outdoors.

Yes.

There are a lot of decent 25-50 watt practice amps out there.

I've never tried this one, but it looks interesting:

Eden Nemesis N8

It's only 40 watts, but it's only $129.00.

If you decide that you really love the bass and want to pursue it further (farther?) you can always upgrade. Your starter will still serve as a nice practice amp.

Good luck! :thu:

Push the button Frank.

Welcome to the world of bass!

Originally posted by Noob1:

I'm going sign up for a beginning guitar class (they only teach acoutic guitar. But I hope I could use it to play bass guitar).

Although bass guitar is related to those little guitars in certain way, you don't really play it like one. It's better to think of it as a double bass or tuba that happens to look like a big guitar.

Your best bet is to get a tutorial book specifically on playing bass, get some lessons with a bass teacher (not a guitarist, a bassist!) and as you get more comfortable look into joining a band - best way to learn and its such an easy instrument initially (though you can take it to amazing levels of virtuosity) that you can be out gigging within months of first picking it up.

Good luck (and stick around and keep asking questions)!

Alex

Originally posted by kerk:

that is, once you start gigging, which is a while off. [/QB]

I was/am in my first band in which I had my first show 8 months after I started playing the bass.

A good teacher is what I would recommend. I started out with a CD and by using tab found on the web and I have a lot of bad habits. A good teacher in my opinion is one that can pick up on what works and doesn't work for a particular student. We will go over theory for a couple of lessons and then he can tell that I am kind of bored with it, so he'll teach me some new song or technique and vice versa. Don't settle for the first person you come across either. It is nice to be able to choose who teaches you.

How do you sign a computer screen?

thank everyone for helpin a noob out :) I should be getting my bass in couple day and I am ready to rock & roll. I think bass is well suit with my personality.

Rocky MacDougall, I'll follow your advice on 4-string bass (I just order one, 4 string bass, and very happy with my decision).

PhiMan99, amp? I wonder if I can play bass without amp (when practicing in my room anyway).

jlrush, thanks. I should be getting that ESP LTD soon (just paid $200 for it). Im not quite sure what I need amp for, but I'll look into it. Maybe I might be able to use my radio as amp (it got nice speakers).

kerk, your 20 watt Peavey microbass sounds really good. I won't be joinin a band anytime soon. But I need sometime for practice in my bedroom.

kenfxj, that's 40 watt looks nice. Yes, I think I need one for practice. I should be able to spend another 100 or soo for a small 20-40 watt amp.

C. Alexander Claber, thank you for clear that out for me. I'm not confused guitar with bass no more:) I think you're right guitarist probably not going to teach me how to play bass.

fingertalkin, thanks for advice. I prefer a real person over book too. I haven't met any bassist in my area yet (I guess because i'm new). I'm probably gonna give book a try at first since there's no bass class offer at my school.

Noob1, I am a advocate for the "Tascam Bass Trainer". They are about $150.00, make sure you get the correct power supply. Then get a good pair of headphones that can handle bass (about $40.00). Then you are , ready to practice in your room "as loud as you want to"

Then start saving your money for a good combo amp. This will allow you to play with other musicians. You will need at least 100wts and a 15" speaker. This would be overkill for a home practice amp. The headphones are really a good way to go to initially get started.

Rocky :thu:

Benjamin Franklin

I would say find someone to show you good hand tecinique and a few other things and then jsut have fun. Maybe learn some scales and theory on your own. Then when you start to ahve questions that you cant seem to answer yourself find a good teacher.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Noob1:

I'm probably gonna give book a try at first since there's no bass class offer at my school.

+1

This book is strongly suggested(I got this updated one for my son to learn from). It comes with a CD and DVD and will teach you a LOT if you apply yourself with study and practice. These are updated versions of the ones used by many.

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?productid=98515SET

For practicing amp-less, the cheap-but-fragile Behringer bass V-amp(POD) and a computer was what I used for YEARS. With a bass, bass POD(the bean-shaped silver thing), headphones, computer, and mp3's....you can learn plenty. Your computer audio(earbud jack) connects to the bass POD AUX-IN jack, your bass plugs into the Instrument Input, and headphones plug in...and you're ready to go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/MyWoodshedFx2.jpg

If you get the Behringer, be careful plugging jacks in/out. The jacks connect to a circuit board inside the thing. It is $99 or less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Bass-VAMP-Modeling-Preamp?sku=480692

http://www.myspace.com/theguzzlers

Dad gave me a bass when I was 10.

I learned Gloria, Satisfaction, and a lot of Booker T & the MG's.

Hal Leonard's Bass Method, Vols I, II, and III. These books were written by Ed Friedland (who is also an occational contributer to our forum). I am using these books to assist me in giving bass lessons to the kid of a co-worker and they are great. Take it slow, go inexpensive. If you find that the bass isn't for you, you are only out a couple of hundred. I would say you could get by with a 15W practice amp (Hartke B150, I know we don't have a lot of Hartke fans on the forum, but it's an excellent choice for an entry level practice amp). You can always look into the bass starter kits, everyone has one.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

thank you again.

I hope this is the right book. I just ordered from Amazon for $15.61

Hal Leonard Bass Method - Complete Edition: Books 1, 2 and 3 Bound Together in One Easy-to-Use Volume!

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0793563836.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I got bass and book :) Now, it's time to get amp!

sorry to bother again. I looked around for a practice bass amp and I think this is the one that I like, it's $69.99 (no tax and free shipping) and 15 watts. I wonder if Behringer is a good brand and $69.99 for a 15 watts bass amp is a reasonable price?

Behringer BX108 Thunderbird Bass Amp

Item# BEH BX108 8 Inch, 15 Watts

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6927/228544sk0.jpg

Thank everyone for helping me again.

A 15 wt. practice amp is a very minimal amp. I think you will quickly become dissatisfied with it. I would rather have you save up and get something a little better. A decent practice amp may be something in the order of 50 wts and a 12" speaker. Don't overlook the headphone route for now.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Those ESP LTD B50 basses are very sweet - they play nicely and have a good sound. I almost got one myself.

I'll second what Rocky says about practice amps - but add that I got dissatisfied with my 50W 12" amp after a while!!! But when you get your bass, have a listen to some practice amps before you buy one.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

8" speaker? Oh-oh...

...when I got back into bass a few years back, I bought a Squier combo-pack. It came with a 25W amp with an 8" speaker.

Now, having played years previously with a dual 15" cab w/200W (and 150W 15" rigs after that), I knew what bass should sound like. Even those rigs were "laughable" by today's standards.

With the practice-amp, instead of bass, I got "farting" (raspberries, if you prefer). Any volume above a whisper, and it was "fart city". At best, with one of those amps, you'll need to develop a very "treble" sound, with very little bottom-end (the opposite of what I like).

I too am short on cash, so understand needing to keep cost down. A 15W amp with 8" speaker won't last you long, though.

ok, I'm very scare buyin an amp now. I think I'll hold on to it 'til I get my bass and a study book (they should arrive right about now).

I should have bought a squier combo-pack like Phiman99(it has everything).

I'm thinking about gettin these DVD. I wonder if anybody here has em. Are they any good?

Hal Leonard Bass Method Beginner's Pack (DVD)

Bass Method: For the Beginning Electric Bassist ~ Erik Friedland (DVD)

Thank guys.

try the fender rumble line i have the 100 watt version, its a great deal for the price, its a good practice amp, its good for small clubs, and when the neighbors take my spot i can piss them off great, but it has easy to use functions for a new player and sounds great

West

Play hard

express yourself

be free

Archived