Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ACME B-2 ON ITS WAY! Yay! Now what?

rooster6550

Finally got sick of dinkin' around with the SWR 2-12 and the huge 2-15. . .Pulled the trigger on a B-2 after much thought and after liquidating some spare stuff. :rolleyes:

It shipped out Friday by FedEx, so I assume it'll be here tomorrow (Wed.) or so.

Who else here has used 'em? Anybody?

How long should I "break it in"? If it comes tomorrow, I could break it in live, as I have a Thur.-Sat. gig. The band has a great monitor rig, so, I thought if I could just set the "rig" at negligible volume and rely on the monitors. . .Thought maybe four nights should get the cab to where it needs to be. . . :confused:

I'm, well. . .HELLA excited :idea:

Also might debut my Fender Geddy J. with Audere electronics/Bart. pickups this week too. . .Just wired it up today. . .That could be interesting, too.

More on that situation later, though. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the ACME, I love mine. The only thing that I can say is to keep your expectations in check for a while. If you are accustomed to using 2 12s and 2 15s, the 2 10s in the ACME are gonna move a lot less air.

You will want to investigate high pass filters set in the 30 to 50hz range to prevent creasing your cones and a nice amount of clean headroom is a must.

Let us know how it goes.

Never follow children, animals or Hare Krishnas!!

Now what? Start practising - great cab but it doesn't let you get away with sloppy technique!

What amp will you be driving it with?

Definitely try and use a 30Hz high pass filter with it, to protect the cab from frequencies below the tuning frequency. I went through a phase of using a 50Hz filter with it but I've since found that actually puts greater demands on the speakers due to the port providing much of the output below 50Hz (which thus progressively reduces the excursion down to almost zero at 30Hz).

In a sealed cabinet the excursion of a speaker quadruples every time you halve the frequency.

However in a ported cabinet the port produces practically all the output at the tuning frequency (in this case, 30Hz). Then as you increase the frequency the port output decreases up to almost zero output at 100Hz.

When the port is providing maximum output, the speaker is hardly moving - i.e. excursion almost zero. So although the excursion increases as the frequency decreases, once the port gets involved it starts to take over the output and thus the increase in excursion becomes less, and then the excursion stops increasing with decreasing frequency and starts to decrease to practically zero excursion at the tuning frequency.

In the case of the Acmes, max excursion is at about 60Hz, which is therefore also the frequency at which the cab can play least loud. So if you spread your bass demands down into the bottom octave you'll get greater output with less strain on the speakers.

Obviously in smaller rooms you'll find that the cab has more bottom than you want - in this case, simply turn down your bass EQ to more evenly reduce the output across the whole bass region. With corner placement in a rehearsal room I use as much as 6dB of bass cut (SWR GP, shelving point 80Hz) at higher volumes (at lower volumes Fletcher-Munson means you want proportionally more bottom).

Alex

It's here. . .

But I was so tied up with school and tonight's gig that I didn't get a chance to even look at it. . .

More later.

The Audere electronics in the Geddy L. Jazz were a treat, though. . .I did manage to roll out that one tonight. Needs a neck adjustment, but sounded really good.

More on that later. I'll post separate reviews.

Later. . .

-- Stefan Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

read the instructions.

You would do well to break it in as the instructions dictate.

One night, I set my 2 b2s up and I played music through them...just so that everything would be broken in.

congrats on the cab.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Believe it or not, guys, but I haven't even taken the thing out of the box yet -- I've been so tied up with school lately (17 credit hours of Pharmacy Tech and related classes) that I haven't had time to do much but study and do homework.

I'll have to break it out in the next couple days and put a few hours on it to break it in, as I have a private-party gig with minimal PA Friday night. . .

More later. . .

-- Stefan Johnson

Yeah, I definitely gotta get on that. Gotta run by Radio Shack and buy an adaptor for my DiscMan. . .

Alex -- how loud should I start out and how long does the break-in period take?

I'll probably get started on it tomorrow. Later today if I can get a few lingering "loose ends" tied up homework-wise. . .

-- Stefan Johnson

You could probably do it in an hour or so with a very low frequency sine wave at fairly high volume. With music at quieter volumes, a fair bit longer.

The key is to avoid sudden big transients causing lots of excursion so that the cone has to move a long way, the still stiff surround restricts the movement of the outer edge of the cone and thus the cone creases.

If you can set it running at typical home stereo volume whilst you're out at work for next few days then that should do the job.

What amp are you using to drive it? The less power you have, the less you need to worry about breaking the cab in.

Alex

I'll be driving it with a mono-bridged Carvin DCM-600 for the time being. That amp will do 600 Watts at 4 Ohms, and is the biggest I have at the moment. . .Other than that, I have a MosValve 942, which will put out 380 Watts in mono mode.

I'm thinking of trying to pick up a used Stewart 1.2 on down the line, sometime when I'm a little less drained financially. . . :rolleyes:

-- Stefan Johnson

That's plenty to get practically every last decibel out of the cab. I've heard that Carvins can be a little touchy regarding low impedances, and until the surrounds have softened up the Acme will present a lower impedance than normal, so the amp could get upset if you push it too hard.

Alex

Alex, or anyone else, do all cabs need broken in?

Also, I cant seem to find a thread on compression as you describe it for cabs. I am always afraid I am going to blow a speaker. But from what you are saying about compression if I try and put too much wattage in an cab it will soak it? Can you explain or point me somewhere please good sir.

Thank you, Jonathan

Alex --

I've heard the same, first on Andy L.'s (Acme's)Web site. I mailed him and asked him, and he said basically that the Carvn's inherent "touchiness" might be a problem initially if I pushed too hard too soon, but not so much on down the line. . .So far as I understand, once the cab is "broken in" properly.

High-pass filters have been mentioned at least a couple times RE: the Acme cabs. . .I've never experimented with any such thing. . .Who makes them, and what would be a reasonably-priced, quality unit to get? I understand the idea but really have no basic knowledge of what to get. Thing is, I want one if it'll help protect my new "baby" from any kind of damage. . .

Suggestions, anyone?. . .Especially regarding what to check out, what to avoid, etc. . .

BTW, Alex, thanks for all the help/advice. . .

-- Stefan Johnson

Archived