Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Francis Pastorius III

Rocky McDougall

I have been a Jaco fan for many years and I have always pronounced his last name: "Pastorious"

Pastor-e-us

I recently heard someone say:

Pastor-i-us

I don't know if I have ever heard which is correct. I am sure many on this forum can set me straight.

Also I have been working on the bass lines from his Weather Report song that has the heavy Regge beat. What is the name of that song???

Thank you,

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Newf Stimpson:

I always thought it was Jaco (rhymes with taco) Pastor-e-us. Then again I could (likely) be wrong.

Newf

Don't try to tell me you have tacos in Moose Jaw. :D

Well, you are pronouncing the same as I am. That makes two of us, so we must be right. :thu:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

I always thought it was Jaco (rhymes with taco) Pastor-e-us. Then again I could (likely) be wrong.

Newf

Don't try to tell me you have tacos in Moose Jaw. :D

Well, you are pronouncing the same as I am. That makes two of us, so we must be right. :thu:

Rocky

LMAO@Moose Jaw tacos. Yeah, we did but the only mexican place here folded up awhile back. Besides you can't good mex food in Canada. Only another kind of taco around here now. :o

Well Rocky it's either a case of great minds think alike or fools seldom differ. The LowDown masses will decide I think. :P

Cheers

Newf :D

That is correct. I am amazed at how many bass players I hear mispronounce his name.

"Yaco", "Jayco", "Jacko" are the common first name catastrophes. The last name is an adventure of similar proportions. What really makes me laugh is when I say it back to them correctly and they continue to pronounce it wrong. Whatever. It's not me that sounds like a complete jackass.

Another really really common name in the bass world that is mispronounced is "Alembic". I'm not really sure what's so hard about it but people have all kinds of interesting pronunciations. It's "Uh-lem-bic". Not "olypic". Not "Uh-lympic". I'm always curious where that "p" sound comes from since there is not one in the name. Also why a leading "a" would sound like an "o".

Originally posted by Phil W:

Is it an accident that it rhymes with 'glorious'?

I had not thought of that.

If it did not originally rhyme, it does now.

Thanks for the clarification,

Rocky

P.S. I think I will invent the "Glorious Taco" it should do well here in Texas.

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Another really really common name in the bass world that is mispronounced is "Alembic".

A few years ago I hung out with this guy that amd it sound like Olympic. After several conversations I finally made the connection after he mention "Olympic" and Stanley Clarkey in the same sentence. Er... Clarke.
- Matt W.

Newf

Yup, me too! That's it.

When I meet anyone new, I ALWAYS get called "Macy."

I AM NOT A DEPARTMENT STORE.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

bass247 - those of us that are experienced (read: old) remember the cartoon version of Dr. Seuss' "Horton Hears A Who". The mother bird in that story shares your name, so we know how to pronounce it.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Oh good! But then there's the spelling..."Mazie? Mazy? Maizee? Maisy?"

AHHH I THOUGHT TOO MUCH ABOUT MY NAME

Never do that.

Anyway, Jaco is a much prettier name than mine!

I get to pretend it is mine for 2 hours a week because they call me Jaco at my band program. :D:D:love:

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

Hmmm...Newfo? Or to mod my offline label Roddo?

This is beginning to remind me of the Three Stooges. :D

Davo, have you heard the Jimbo Song by the Reverend Horton Heat? Funny lyrics, easy bassline. Punkabilly's great!

LOL, the Jimbo Song just started. LMAO!

Cheers

Newfo ;):P

Corny? Mmmm well I probably get that from my bass teacher.

I thought I was rather nutty, myself.

I do have a great appreciation for Jaco's life and accpmplishments. I am working hard to play some of his stuff even now. I was curious, do any of you know what happened the bouncer from the nightclub after he killed Jaco. Not that it really matters anymore, I'm just curious how it might have changed his life.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Another thought ! Does anyone know the extent of Jaco's formal music training? Did he attend any music schools, training etc? Did he read music well, how deep was his theory knowledge? I do have one recording where I think he was playing piano. Just cuious.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

...I was curious, do any of you know what happened the bouncer from the nightclub after he killed Jaco. Not that it really matters anymore, I'm just curious how it might have changed his life.

Rocky

Just read jaco's bio on Wikipedia. The guy did four months for the beating, that's all I know.

Rocky:

As I understand from the "Modern Electric Bass" video with Jaco, he originally played by ear. He however realized the limitations that placed on him, and put considerable study into learning to read standard notation and understanding music theory. I don't know if any of the music training was formal or not. Anyway, that's what he said...to what extent that was accurate is anyone's guess, to be honest. ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived