Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Finger callous

Ross Brown

I have a callous on the side of my right index finger that I could not figure out. All of my callouses are from bass playing. Nothing I do on the bass has anything to do with this part of my hand. :confused:

Last night I figured it out. It is the place that the rough edge of the bottle cap on beer bottles comes into contact with when I open the bottle. :thu:

I am not sure if I should be more embarrassed by drinking enough beer to get a callous or that it took me so long to figure it out.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please not a poll.

I once noticed a strange mark on the outside of my pinky right at the lowest knuckle. It turns out that's where string comes across my hand when I tie things (shoes, newspapers for recycling, etc.). Fortunately this never hindered my bass playing.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When I was in school, I got calluses on the palm of my hand. I told a friend that I couldnt figure out what they were from, and lets just say I never lived that down. It was from carrying my saxophone home everyday and through the school.

Maybe we can poll how many people have calluses on there palms.

Originally posted by dnkritr:

When I was in school, I got calluses on the palm of my hand. I told a friend that I couldnt figure out what they were from, and lets just say I never lived that down. It was from carrying my saxophone home everyday and through the school.

Maybe we can poll how many people have calluses on there palms.

Used to...
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Two new blisters: one on my 3rd finger of my left hand, from g****r bending mostly, and one on the side of my right thumb from strumming chords on my bass that way.

Proooooud of 'em. Especially that thumb. I didn't think I'd get those!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

My wife recently related to me a story that I found interesting in the context of playing bass. If you have an aversion to stories involving feet, you should probably just skip the next two paragraphs.

My wife's manicurist/pedicurist works regularly on a gentleman who was rendered a complete quadriplegic in a tragic accident. She began doing his feet and hands just after his accident on a bi-monthly basis. He had a number of calluses on his feet that she would sand down/carve off/pumice away or whatever terminology or tool is appropriate.

However, she was puzzled by the fact that it seemed she wasn't making any progress over several months. Here was a man who literally never used his feet anymore, yet he was regenerating calluses. One day in frustration she asked him, "What are you doing to keep these calluses?" "Nothing," he replied, "But before my accident I ran three or four marathons a year, and those are all my running calluses I've had for years."

Her conclusion then was that the body can hang on to calluses for a long time even after the causal activity of the callus has ceased. I guess that's good news for those recreational musicians who take long lay-offs from music for life reasons, knowing that your fingers can get back into it without two much trouble. :)

Originally posted by mattulator:

I have one smack in the middle of the arch of my right foot.

Origin unknown.

Now that is a flexable man!!!

Maybe its from putting your foot on a stool/chair and rocking it or tapping it. Or riding a bike and the pedal being in the middle.

Archived