Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Could use some prayers....

Gruuve

Dave, I really like the looks of the stove, they claim very high heat output. My only concern is trying to move the heat from room to room. Ceiling fans are great, I have them in every room of our 1,200 sq.ft. townhome but they don't move air from room to room. Personnally I like a warm home but prefer the main bedroom to be much cooler. Your idea my work just fine. It is certainly worth a try.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my folks are used to having a space heater in the main part of a house and having the other rooms cooler in the winter. In fact, it actually is kinda nice to have the bedrooms a little cooler, IMO...my wife and I often shut the vents off in our bedroom in the winter. My parents have spent 40 years with an oil heater, so I think this will be a considerable step up. They are so set in their ways, I doubt they could ever adapt to a central heating/cooling system...I'd expect them to be constantly changing the thermostat and that would just make it even more expensive to operate than typical. With this gas log stove, their heating bills will likely drop from $1200-1500 per winter (with the oil heater) to something like $300-400 per winter.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I am sure your parents are going to be very happy and content in the new digs. I hope my son will take care of me, like you have done, when my time comes. They are fortunate to have you there for them.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks guys. Yes, Davio...you definitely should. I could have just found something to rent for my parents and that would have been much simpler in some ways, but it just doesn't make sense to do that. Renting a decent place to live costs money, and if we had gotten a mortgage for this house (which we did not), the mortgage payment would have been less than the rental cost of a similar dig in the shape this house will be in after the renovation is finished. Given all the uncertainty, it just didn't seem to make sense to not buy something...my parents get a nicer place to live that we can customize to their liking somewhat, and my wife and I end up with equity in real property rather than just giving money away to someone else. Of course, finding a house and renovating it is quite stressful, but at least it's mostly short-term stress. With a rental, I'd be stressing the whole time because I'd know I was just wasting money.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hi Folks:

Thought I'd post an update on this situation. I now have my utility trailer packed to the gills with a used washer/dryer stacked unit, an almost new dishwasher, the aforementioned gas log heater, and a whole kitchen worth of used but in-good-shape cabinets (the fellow who ripped these perfectly good cabinet out of their kitchen simply because his wife wanted cherry cabinets donated them to me through my church...how cool is that? This is probably $1500 worth of kitchen cabinets, and a whole lot better than the tiny and cruddy cabinets that are in the house now). My brother-in-law who's working on the house I bought for my folks is coming down over the weekend to tow the trailer back, and hopefully finish up the renovation next week. At this point, I can stop to take a breather I think...there's nothing else that I need to find at the moment, and it's just a matter of letting the bro-in-law do the work.

That said, I'm sure I've still got some challenges coming up toward the end of the month, involving the difficult and unreasonable parent. However, I'm feeling so burnt-out at the moment that I'll cross that bridge when it hatches. :freak:

On the musical front, I'm headed to the BassXtremes clinic in Conway, SC tommorrow and Saturday....really looking forward to it. I had considered whether perhaps I shouldn't go given all that's going on, but there's nothing more I actually can do at the moment, and my wife suggested that I deserve it more now than I did when she booked it for me two months ago. I'm not going to argue with the lady. :cool: Maybe I'll come back with some of the stress dissolved away, and perhaps even with a personal thumb up/down lesson from Mr. Wooten. :thu:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys:

Thanks for asking. Well, the house renovation is a few days short of being completely finished. As is always the case, nothing is as simple as it first appears. My bro-in-law ran into plenty of things that had to fixed before some of the interior work could be done, so needless to say we are a little behind schedule and a little over-budget. However, I expected some unexpected, so I can deal with that.

Last weekend, my wife and I took my parents to see the house at about it's 90% completion mark, which is far enough along to see how it will look. The difficult parent in a nutshell said "this is going to be a beautiful little house...too bad I'm not moving". I said "why don't you take a week and just think about it". So, maybe the decision will change, but I seriously doubt it.

At this point, the decision I have to make is whether I just let things naturally run their course (which will probably put us having to move them in the middle of winter with potentially bad weather to deal with), or whether I purposefully help move things along behind the scenes (which would put us moving them within a month or two). The end result will be the same as far as I can tell. I want to do what's best for them...just not sure which choice is.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm simply not dealing with a normal and reasonable person. If someone offered to essentially give you a free place to live that was newly renovated and a much nicer place than you currently live, and the offer had no strings attached in any way...wouldn't you take it? Any normal and reasonable person would I think. I have to try to keep in mind that there's an emotional attachment to their current home...it's where they've lived for almost 40 years, it's where I grew up, etc. But then, I have to balance that with some ridiculous beliefs this person has about their current home that simply aren't anywhere near reality. This is a really frustrating and bewildering endeavor...as I knew it would be.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, I had to move my mother to a "Retirement" center a few years ago. It was not easy but once she was there, she loved it. I wonder if your difficult parent is having a pride issue about getting help from you. As we grow older, and I'm getting there quickly, the last thing we want is to be a burden on our children. I don't have a souluton for you but maybe if you approached it as "this will be the best for me" maybe that would change things. Anyway, keep the faith and trust.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Hey Rock:

Well, I've already told them that buying a house for them is a better financial decision for my wife and I than renting them a place to live. I've already been helping them financially for many years now, so I'm not sure it's a pride issue of that particular flavor...however, you have triggered an idea. Perhaps if I offer to deed the house to them, that might make a difference. Thanks for triggering the thought Rock!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Folks:

An update...I have FINALLY gotten agreement from the difficult parent to move to the new house! I can't believe it, and it may require daily re-negotiation to keep the decision the same until the move date (Sat, Dec 2), but the difficult one who invents their own reality has finally seen the probability of an outcome that no reasonable person would want to endure. Whew...thanks for all your prayers!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, I may have jumped the gun a bit. This is indeed requiring daily renogiation. At this point, I'm leary of trekking 200 miles, renting a moving van and rollback truck, and lining up people to help on Dec 2...I could get there and the difficult one says "I've changed my mind". At this point, I'm wondering if it's simply better to just wait until their current house is padlocked, which would be a few days after Christmas?

If you've read this far, you've probably guessed that the current house is rented and they are being evicted. The landlord has failed to successfully evict them twice...that doesn't help the situation, the difficult one now has a false sense of security about the landlord's ability to force them out. I know it will happen, and probably on the schedule that I expect...I'm afraid the difficult one simply won't believe that they are going to be forced out until they've been forcefully extracted and the house padlocked with all the belongings inside. (At least we have 10 days during the padlock period to get everything out before the landlord carts it off to the dump.) Maybe I can talk sense to the difficult one when they have an eviction order in hand...probably not. The difficult one still may not believe it after the house is padlocked. In fact, this person may not believe it even if everything they own gets carted off to the dump.

Where do I draw the line? What would you do in my case?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, I have been involved in rental properties for many years. Usually, I repeat, usually, the landlord just wants the tenant out. To lock up all of their belongings just creates more work for himself. However, you cannot afford to take that chance. I would remove most of the valuable items as soon as possible. The landlord would only want to keep things that he could sell easily, IE: TV's stereos, appliances etc. He has no use for personal items. It really depends on how mad he is. Have you personally talked with him? Let him know you are desperatly trying to help get them out. I don't know how to change the "difficult one"

You have my sincere concern for your problem.

Nothing is harder to deal with than family.

My prayers go out for you.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Hey, Dave. Sorry that you are still having a rough go of it.

I spoke to a guy here at work who deals in rentals, and he aggreed with Rocky. He would (and has!) keep anything that is easily sellable and trash the rest. Then he would charge the evicted tennent for the disposal charges. I wouldn't wait for the padlock.

This sucks!

sent you a PM.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys:

Thought I'd post an update. My folks have an eviction order as of Dec 11. This puts the sheriff's dept padlocking the house on Dec 29. A deputy has gone to personally let my parents know that they have to padlock the house on Dec 29. I think it's finally sinking in that yes, they really do have to move. (Of course, that was yesterday...today may be a different story, who knows.) Anyway, our worst case plan is to go there and pack after they have been extracted on Dec 29, then move everything on Dec 30. If my folks pack and move what they can ahead of time, I'll take it. If not, we'll do cleanup duty.

The good news is that finally closure is on the horizon.

Thanks for everyone for their prayers.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 2 weeks later...

OK, posting what is (I hope) a final update. My folks are in the new house. They are safe, comfortable, and unhappy (as opposed to unsafe, uncomfortable, and unhappy at the prior residence). It was chaotic getting them there...since they refused to cooperate with me all along the way, we essentially had two days to move stuff that filled up a 26' moving van twice, two utility trailers, and a pickup truck. I'm still taking care of some details, but the crisis is over as far as I'm concerned (although my parents wouldn't agree).

Usually when you do something good for someone, you get to feel good about it. I don't get that privilege...rather than being thankful for the 98% of it that I managed to pull off without their cooperation, my folks are focusing on the 2% that slipped through the cracks (like an old storage shed that was too rotten to move, two ceiling fans that didn't even work, etc.) Never mind that they made it all tremendously more difficult by refusing to cooperate and waiting until the last few days to actually do anything. Whatever. I know I did the right thing...they'd be sleeping in their car right now if I hadn't made the right decisions and taken the right actions, even if I did have to do it with no cooperation from them. I am glad this is 98% over.

Thank you for all your prayers. I'll make a new post about this, but now my wife's mom is in the hospital with COPD and a lung infection. She was in ICU for 6 days, but has now been moved to normal room. (Needless to say, I had to accomplish the above mostly without my wife and her two brothers to help.) This has not been a good Fall, but I sure do hope the new year brings some good things.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

We'll still be praying, hoping, and wishing the best for you. And for your wife and her family.

My in-laws are in the process of buying an apartment in a senior community in our town, after which they'll sell they house. I'll be involved for sure, but it will be only some work. They'll make the right decisions and sell/dump lots of stuff to make it easier. I'll call them now to thank them and I'll count my blessings.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived