Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Halloween Tunes

Brocko777

We are doing a couple of October gigs and wanted to do a few Halloween oriented songs. Nothing to goofy... we've got Spooky, (Atlanta Rhythm Section) Werewolves of London, and we might do a rocked up version of Thriller, anything that comes to the brain stems this haunted eve? No Iron Maiden guys... gotta be under control somewhat. (Not that I haven't played it in the past, gotta cater to the crowd) :)

Peace,

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few suggestions:

Bad Moon Rising - Creedence

Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo

(Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Goo Goo Muck - The Cramps

The Creature From the Black Lagooon - Dave Edmunds

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter

Boris the Spider - The Who

One Step Beyond - Madness

Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

Black Magic Woman - Santana

Nemesis - Shriekback

Psycho Killer - Talking Heads

Push the button Frank.

Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner - Warren Zevon

I Put A Spell On You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Godzilla - BOC

The Devil Went Down To Georgia - CDB

The Legend Of The Wooly Swamp - CDB

Witchy Woman - The Eagles

Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.

The Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Well ... Either "Halloween" or "Doctor Stein" by the german band Helloween.

Yes, hElloween - for a long time I thought that was the actual spelling, until an English teacher was explaining "puns" and noticed my t-shirt of said band :D

If your band does not play metal, then just rockify the tunes to fit your style.

Lyrics for Halloween and Dr. Stein .

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Excellent.... mmuuwwwaaaahhh haha!! That will give me enough to make the other guys never wish I had any input!!

Jeremy... If we stick Afternoon Delight in there I think that would be the most horrifying set possible!

Oh how could I forget Superstitious? Thanks for the input. Now off to my lah-borah-tory!

Peace, Pumpkins, N Parasites

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I recommend you try some old 60s TV show theme songs like "Batman", "The Muensters" and (if you can manage it) the original "Star Trek". They go over real well in between songs.

Also some contemporary music from the latest horror flicks and very-violent video games. ("What If" by Creed is an awesome Halloween song IMHO, especially if you put on the killer's costume while playing it like I used to do) Your audience might be mostly in that age range to get it.

For the older crowd: "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" from "Vol. 4" IIRC. Do I have to mention the group?

:wave:

Originally posted by RHINO_ROB:

halloween or anything by the misfits(if you do 50's horror punk).

Dang, I grew up with the Misfits and the Necros from the Toledo/Detroit area... almost had my head taken off by Jerry Only at a Detroit show with the head of his bass! Ouch! But alas, that stuff wouldn't go over at the gigs I am performing.

20 Eyes-Misfits

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

Theyre all the same, theyre all the same

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

When youre seeing 20 things at a time

You just cant slow things down, baby

When youre seeing 20 things in your mind

Just cant slow things down

Then all those eyes

Theyre just crowding up your human face

Then all those eyes

Take an overload

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

When youre seeing 20 things at a time

You just cant slow things down, baby

When youre seeing 20 things in your mind

Just cant slow things down

Then all those eyes

Theyre just crowding up your human face

Then all those eyes

Take an overload

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

20 eyes in my head

Theyre all the same

20 eyes in my head

Theyre all the same

20 eyes in my head

Theyre all the same

20 eyes in my head

Theyre all the same

Aahhhhh, the memories!

Thanks for all the ideas... we are gonna do about 5 songs and startin' it out with the beginning verse and chorus acapella of Afternoon Delight (ala` Anchorman) then into the 'less' scary stuff.

Boo,

Brocko

Great suggestions so far, but nobody's added:

"The Blob" (Burt Bacharach :eek: )

"Excitable Boy" (Warren Zevon :D )

We always play Monster Mash, Frankenstein, Werewolves of London and Excitable Boy around Halloween, and did up a full-length "Munsters" theme in a 'surf' style (I listen to WAY too much Los Straightjackets).

If you play in a place with a big-screen TV, consider working up a videotape or two of classic horror movies (Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Dracula, Frankenstein) and/or really bad 50s horror flicks (The Blob, Hideous Sun Beast, Invaders from Mars, Creature from the Black Lagoon, House on Haunted Hill). Contact the venue beforehand and make sure it's cool, then throw a VCR, the cables and tapes into the car for the gig(s). It makes for a great time.

Have you considered playing in lab coats?

peace,

Tim from Jersey

Play. Just play.

"Spell" was listed above as Screamin Jay Hawkins - he wrote and performed it. It may be easier to find the Creedence Clearwater Revival version.

Somtimes I've heard Wooly Bully at this time of year.

You could be daring and play a holiday crossover song - "I Want An Alien For Christmas" by the Fountains of Wayne (I actually sang and played that at last year's company party...).

Hey - wait a minute - The Batusi (and Soupy Sales' The Mouse) - I can actually do that. And I can't look any more ridiculous than the original ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

eMusic has the Hawkins, CCR and Natacha Atlas versions (hers has some very nice Middle Eastern drum rhythms behind it).

www.emusic.com/search.html?QT=i+put+a+spell+on+you&mode=s&off=0&navs=

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

"Spell" was listed above as Screamin Jay Hawkins - he wrote and performed it. It may be easier to find the Creedence Clearwater Revival version.

Edited to add: I just thought of Joey DeLuxe's "Itsy Bitsy Spider."

www.joeydeluxe.com -- click the "music" link for the MP3.

Archived