Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

harmonics

thunderbass

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. You should get a book called "Bass Secrets." There are some articles in it talking about harmonics and one by Tony Franklin called "The Science of Harmonics." It will really help you. There's also stuff on sliding harmonics, etc. in there. (Yes, Tony again, but he knows a lot about it.)

Hope it helps.

And welcome to the forum!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Harmonics are found at fractions of the length of the string: one half, one third (and two thirds), one quarter (and three quarters), one fifth two fifths three fifths an four fifths, and on and on.

Look up the harmonic overtone series and see what the relationships are, or play them and find out for yourself.

I believe Pythagoras talked about this subject a few thousand years ago, you could ask him.

Start on the G string.

You can find the octave at the 12th fret. Lightly touch the string at the 12th fret (instead of pressing it down) and play it. Boom, you've played your first harmonic...a G.

Next lightly touch the G string above the 7th fret and play the string. Boom, you have the 5th of G: D!

Next touch the G string abovethe 5th fret and you'll get the second octave: another G two octaves above the open G.

Touch the string a little bit behind the 4th fret and you'll get the third of G: a B. It'll be a little flat.

Keep going up and see what else you discover. The same overtone series can be found on the other side of the octave, and on all the other strings.

Have fun.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I believe Pythagoras talked about this subject a few thousand years ago, you could ask him.

Jeremy, you have his number? (or e-mail) I'd like give him a call about a few things! :)
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

thanks i'll try that out. Also do you happen to know about how much that "Bass secrets" book would cost?
It cost me $12.95 at the bookstore, betcha if I had waited awhile I could have gotten it for less though...

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

You need to make sure your intonation is set right on your bass. If you don't know what that is, I'm sure one of the more experienced hands-on guys can tell you how to check it and set it. I did it on my bass after I had it refinished but I am no means an expert like some of these other dudes.

Ken

"Off Our Meds" :freak:

Ken

Archived