Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

70's P-Bass Question

Newf

I was checking out the bay and seen this http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-LEFT-HANDED_W0QQitemZ120031477872QQihZ002QQcategoryZ118984QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Mmmmmmm... :D

However, aren't 70's Fenders supposed to be a 3-bolt neck with the micro-tilt adjustment though?

I'm interested in this one as I don't see many older lefty Fenders, especially with a maple fingerboard which I would like. New lefty Fender's aren't available with a maple board either. Also, is there any difference in the pickups?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Newf :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the 3 bolt micro-tilt was about 1972 thru 1981 on Jazz basses. Pre 1976 had the serial number on the neck plate. The Headstock decal is from a pre 1977 and the neck plate is correct for a P bass 1976 thru 1983.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Very curious. It's got the holes for the pickup and bridge covers. I would try running the serial number that's visible on the headstock.

But you can also take into account that the seller has VERY good feedback. I'd look into that extensively, as you should with any eBay auction.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I have a '76 version of exactly this bass, er except it's a righty. Not sure why the neck and bridge covers' holes are an issue. They are standard. It looks to be in excellent condition and must have been well looked after.

The only thing that looks non-standard is the position of the strap button on the horn.

I've had my '76 since new and would never part with it.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Nice! If I had the money to hand I'd be bidding for it myself...

My P-bass is a lefty, with a serial plate dating it at 1968. But a previous owner has put in a Schaller bridge, added a second bridge 'soap-bar' pick up, hacked around the scratch plate and given it a tatty red respray.

Which is fine by me, because it meant I bought a late 60's model without paying any vintage premium for it.

And it's great. Tatty and dented maybe, but it's got that classic P-Bass 'heart'. (You have to play one to know what I'm talking about... :) )

I hardly use the second bridge pickup - the bass just sounds 'right' on the original Fender pick-up, along with the LaBella flats.

And yes, old lefty Fenders are pretty rare here too. I once saw an old 70s lefty Jazz hanging on the wall in London retailer. I had a quick look at but had to leave after a few minutes as I had a meeting to get to.

After two days thinking about it and finally deciding, "Yes, I could find the money for this", I went back to the shop to have a closer look.

And, you guessed it, it had been sold.

The one that got away!

So the moral is - if you are a lefty and you see a nice instrument get it now! It will be ages before a similar chance comes up again...

Cheers

Graham

pickup

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

I believe the 3 bolt micro-tilt was about 1972 thru 1981 on Jazz basses. Pre 1976 had the serial number on the neck plate. The Headstock decal is from a pre 1977 and the neck plate is correct for a P bass 1976 thru 1983.

Rocky

I believe Rocky is right -- this was a feature only on Jazz basses.

That's how my '76 is.

And btw, despite all the "four-bolt is more stable" stuff, my three-bolt neck is solid -- no wiggle at all.

Cracks me up to hear '70s Fenders referred to as "vintage" though -- as I recall, this was not exactly considered the high point of instrument quality for the company.

That natural-finish lefty P-bass is a beaut though.

And if anyone wants to buy my "vintage" '76 J, the asking price is $35,000. You have to supply your own sticker though.

;)

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Originally posted by Davo-London:

I have a '76 version of exactly this bass, er except it's a righty. Not sure why the neck and bridge covers' holes are an issue. They are standard.

I just wasn't sure what year the pickup covers were discontinued. I would imagine it was sometime in the mid 70's.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I've tried using the neck pickup cover on my '73 Jazz bass and it just got in the way. It looks cool and acts as a good thumbrest, but it limits where you can attack the string.

I'm still amazed that Will Lee actually has the neck pickup cover on a number of his basses.

My 78 P-Bass has the standard 4 Bolt neckplate.

My 78 J-Bass has the 3 Bolt, Micro adjust neckplate.

Who knows what Fender was thinking? Crazy huh?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/NV43345/78Jazz.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/NV43345/616Fender78P.jpg

Originally posted by NV43345:

[QB] My 78 P-Bass has the standard 4 Bolt neckplate. My 78 J-Bass has the 3 Bolt, Micro adjust neckplate. Who knows what Fender was thinking? Crazy huh?

Three bolts were lighter and faster than 4 bolts.

:)

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by NV43345:

My 78 P-Bass has the standard 4 Bolt neckplate.

My 78 J-Bass has the 3 Bolt, Micro adjust neckplate.

We all know that Fender used bolt- on necks for several reasons. However; 3 bolts, 4 bolts, 5 bolts??? The stress of the string tension, pulling upwards on the neck must be compensated. The actual stress is taken up by the two forward bolts. The back bolts ( two or just one) is primarily needed for keeping the neck in alignment. IMHO the neck would do fairly well with the two rear bolts removed. Multiple bolts do put more pressure against the neck pocket which transmits more vibration,(tone) throughout the instrument. Again, IMHO

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks all for your info. I really appreciate it. I figured that it was ok it's just that I'm still learning about the different phases of Fender's evolution through the years.

Originally posted by Graham56:

So the moral is - if you are a lefty and you see a nice instrument get it now! It will be ages before a similar chance comes up again...

No kidding! It's not often I see a bass that really makes me go "I must have..." LOL but this one really makes me drool. :love: Now if only I knew what the reserve price is. :confused:

Thanks again all

Newf :)

Originally posted by Newf Stimpson:

Now if only I knew what the reserve price is. :confused:

If you are not familiar with bidding on Ebay, My advice is to bid the absolute maximum you are willing to pay, up front. That way the auto-bidding will keep you in the bidding and you won't miss it due to time lag. You never know, you may steal it. Good luck

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Archived