Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software Drum Machines

jmrunning3

I've been poking around online looking for a decent software drum machine I can program on a computer, then burn the loop to CD. I searched the forums and found a short thread on a product called Hammerhead . I also Googled across leafDrums and RhythmRascal . I'm not looking for any fancy functionality, strictly utility in this case.

Have any of you used or can you recommend any of these, or even something else? I know our own Matt W found a good one recently, but it's not designed for Windows, so I can't use it.

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you found 'Hydrogen'?

It's a free download & it sounds not too bad. I really haven't had time to play with it yet.

It was developed for Linux, but there's a version for Win XP too.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/?p=download

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hammerhead's good, as long as you're only using 4/4. Importing new sounds can be a pain. I use the acoustic sounds on the Hammerhead site, but you might have to layer them in your DAW, since they don't include a whole kit in each sample file.

The drums in the loop that introduces the most recent podcasts I\'ve done were made in Hammerhead.

There's always Reason, I guess. But that's probably overkill.

Geoff, that's the one Matt W recommended, but I didn't think it came in a Windows format. I'll look into it a little deeper. Thanks!

TW and Phil, I tend to agree with you. Looking into Hammerhead a little more it seems far more limited than I want to deal with. I'd like a physical machine, but I just can't afford one right now.

I appreciate everyone's input!

-- Joe --

Have you heard of Acoustica's Beatcraft? http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft/

The more I use it, the more features it seems to have. Lots of great drums to start with and there are a multitude of beat variations and options that you can use. For $40.00, it is a small investment with great sound, IMHO.

Check it out and see if it has what you are looking for.

Jason

Yea, Matt. I found your original thread first, but I didn't realize it could be used for Windows so I didn't investigate Hydrogen any further.

Thanks to Geoff however, I'm going to check it out.

Jason, for now I'm looking for something free (if possible) but I am going to save the link you sent and compare that product to the others I've mentioned.

All, if you go to www.download.com and search for "drum machine" there are about 20 different products of varying degrees of quality. That was how I narrowed down to the ones I did.

-- Joe --

Thanks Matt W and Geoff! I must say, after downloading a trying Hydrogen this evening, it suits my purposes perfectly.

Recommended.

-- Joe --

Yes, I use LeafDrums and am quite the fan of it. It's basically a sequencer which runs .wavs.

You also get a lot of stereo effects (flanger, compressor, delay and so on).

The whole thing is very intuitive (click to place drums on a grid) and the trial version has complete fucntionality and is free.

Archived