Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Silly Jazz Bass Question

Kramer Ferrington III.

I've never owned a jazz bass, not even a copy. I don't think I've ever even PLAYED a jazz bass or even a copy... so bear with me.

Here's my question:

Do you have to have the silver metal bit that the knobs sit on? Or can you take it off and replace everything with a one piece scratch plate? Does the metal serve any purpose or is it just decoration?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than being a place for the knobs and jack to anchor to, no. At least not in mine.

Do you intend to fashion your own pick guard or have you found some after-market goodies?

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by Bottomgottem:

Do you intend to fashion your own pick guard or have you found some after-market goodies?

Not really sure... There was a thread some time ago on the neck diffs between P basses and J basses and, reading it, I realized that I'd never played a J Bass and started wondering why. All the Fender type basses I've ever had were P basses.

In the end, I realized that I've never liked Jazz basses aesthetically and that the metal bit had a lot to do with that.

I've been looking at the Fender site and noticed that they ALL have that bit and that got me wondering whether it was an essential part of the bass (some weird grounding thing, say)(yeah, I know. I'm clueless at electronics).

Anyway, if the neck is more playable on a J Bass, as the thread suggested, it might be worthwhile getting over the aesthetic thing.

Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

I think that plate serves a couple of functions. It is a stable platform for the pots and jack. It can also function as a common ground.

I think it also helps in shielding. These functions could be done with a different type of pick guard and internal bracing and shielding.

I've always liked that plate, thougn. I don't like chrome plating so much and wonder what the thing looks like with a brass finish.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Nowadays you can get Jazz basses that are rear-routed so there is no pickguard at all.

I've played Jazz basses all my life and will add this: I have seen many, many Precision basses where the pickguard was cracked right above the jack because the player stepped on their cable. With the metal jack plate, this will not happen.

Additionally, it is easier to replace a pot, fix a broken connection, etc. because you only have to take off the small piece instead of unscrewing all those screws on the P bass pickguard.

I'm sure you can have a one piece pickguard made...I don't know who does that in NZ, but here in the states Jeannie's Pickguards or Chandler could do that for you at an affordable price.

You could always get a solid color bass (white, black, etc.) and spray paint the plate to match.

I have seen it done.

Or, look for one of the J basses with a one piece plate, ala the p bass. They turn up on ebay pretty often.

Personally, I think you should try one. The neck on a J in definitely more playable to me than the P, you might like it.

You know, you can't really see the plate while you're playing. ;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I have seen many, many Precision basses where the pickguard was cracked right above the jack because the player stepped on their cable.

Been there, done that. Never happened with my jazz.

N x

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Originally posted by wraub:

Or, look for one of the J basses with a one piece plate, ala the p bass. They turn up on ebay pretty often.

They're definitely out there. I believe there's a Venture's model Jazz bass that has a one piece pickguard. It looks pretty sharp but I haven't played it. But I come from the flipside in that I've played Jazz basses for 14 years and I'm really accustomed to the metal control plate.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I actually prefer the look of a J bass without the plastic pickguard, only the metal plate and the top.

The plate's appearance has never bothered me.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I have never liked the feel of Jazz Bass necks. That skinny bit up at the top of the neck(the low frets) feels weird to me for some reason. It drives me nuts. I know that a P Bass neck isn't really all that much bigger, but it really does feel like a lot more wood in my hand.

(ducking down under desk to keep from being hit by flying objects thrown by avid Jazz Bass owners)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 2 months later...

i have a j bass, the sound is really good, in the computer screen they dont look that good but in real live they look much better.

After all, the sound is what matters. The j bass has a very wide range of sOunds, you can play from metal(chris cornell) to funk(flea) to jazz(jaco) and always get a good sound.

And what to do with the metal plate? just leave it there man! its there for a reason: it adds durability to the electronic pieces.

Nadu, the intergalactic

funk-grand-master

Originally posted by nadu:

i have a j bass, the sound is really good, in the computer screen they dont look that good but in real live they look much better.

After all, the sound is what matters. The j bass has a very wide range of sOunds, you can play from metal(chris cornell) to funk(flea) to jazz(jaco) and always get a good sound.

And what to do with the metal plate? just leave it there man! its there for a reason: it adds durability to the electronic pieces.

Wow.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Nowadays you can get Jazz basses that are rear-routed so there is no pickguard at all.

Both of my Jazz basses are rear-routed. One of them has the pickguard and metal bit anyway for aesthetic reasons. I personally like the look.

Hey Vince,

Here's the basses. The Jazz is a Hohner JJ Pro with an Ibanez '72 neck (copy of a '67 Fender) and EMGs.

No plates. It's Good Enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010008.jpg

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived