Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The daily adventures of "Mixerman"...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b]Having all three events in the same day sounds a wee bit contrived, like it's trying to be a "Meet the Parents" everything-that-can-go-wrong-DOES-go-wrong farce. [/b][/quote]I dunno... welcome to my life... One thing that seemed "odd" wasn't that all three things happened, but that he decided to play basketball with an infected finger.... Another thing is that it's past time for "someone" - should be the producer, but probably Mixerman - to call a meeting and put things out on the table. He seems on eggshells, which may be because of the pay situation - it must be a good gig - but at the same time, seems like it could *also* be something the producer knows is likely to blow up, which is why he tried someone new instead of whoever he normally used. As in "I won't put this on my good bud Engineer pal, so maybe this guy can handle it". Editing crappy drum takes, when there's dozens of great drummers probably hanging around waiting for such an opportunity to come in and probably do something like this for peanuts, seems ridiculous... DumbAss/Cotton sounds like the type who might not even notice if it's not him playing....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]One thing that seemed "odd" wasn't that all three things happened, but that he decided to play basketball with an infected finger....[/quote]I did that once...yep I was stupid too :) But I too have trouble believing this story is realtime. MM seems to interested in his career to take such a big risk...the world of Major Label recording is very small.

[quote]Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Instead, they made up a silly name for it - which by their own account was inspired by the term's sonic similarity to "al Jihad" [/b][/quote]No Dan... it was inspired by a FEZ in my office. The FEZ says "Alsihah" on it... but the day MM and I were talking about it, I misread the FEZ, and thought it said: "Alsihad"... so now one who operates Alsihad, should wear the Alsihah FEZ... Apparently, there is an "Al Sihah" Shriners Temple in or around Macon, GA... which would make sense... seeing as I got the FEZ with the equipment that used to be at Capricorn Recording Studios [in of all places...], Macon, GA. Take a Valium (tm) will ya.[/b][/quote]Thanks for the revisionist account, but that's not the way I remember it. ;) [quote]originally posted by felcher on the GM forum [b] All silliness aside (as if that's really possible to do when discussing Alsihad)...The derivation of the word "Alsihad" came from a conversation between "Mixerman" and me shortly after September 11th... we decided that Pro-sTools needed a nickname... preferably something sinister/arabic sounding. When M-A bought Capricorn Recording Studios in like '90-'91 along with the board and machines there was a 'Shriners Fez'. On the Fez it said 'Alsihah' (now the name for one who uses Alsihad, but that's only because I misread the Fez the first time we talked about it). From there we just sort of extrapolated different permutations... so the Alsihad dictionary goes something like this: Pronounced: ol-see-haad... rhymes with "Jihad" Alsihad: the machinery Mother of Alsihad (abbv. "MOA"): the evil empire that created Alsihad. Great Mother of Alsihad: a dysfunctional video equipment company that is the owner of "MOA". Alsihah: one who uses Alsihad (usually to remove anything that remotely resembled the emotional content of the thing we used to call music). There are a few more permutations, but for the life of me I can't remember them at the moment... It works well for me, if anyone has a problem with it, don't use it [the system, the word or both]... personally I quite like it. Since we started it, I haven't worked on Alsihad without my Fez on... damn that seems appropriate. [/b][/quote]In this account, you mention "Jihad" explicitly and admit that you were looking for a term that was "preferably something sinister/arabic sounding" - specifically because you made up the term just after September 11th (which you also refer to explicitly). Forgive my bluntness, but I find the whole story rather tasteless. :rolleyes: P.S. I don't do valium; it fucks with your memory. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]DumbAss/Cotton sounds like the type who might not even notice if it's not him playing....[/b][/quote]I have a confession to make. Oh father, I have sinned. This spring, I recorded a tune that is one of the best I'd ever done (yes, for my own project). I refuse to engineer my own tracks, although I am indeed co-producing. So, everything was recorded, but the drums were fucked up. The playing was fine, but we were getting a TON of bleed from every mic. It all started to blend into a giant phasy wash, and the muddiness of the kick in particular made it unusable. So, we went into the DAW and sliced the drums apart to get the seperation we required. Then, I blew off the original kick recording entirely and just used the transients to trigger a sampled kick. Then, after hearing how great that sounded, we decided to do the same for the snare. Then we did the toms. It was at that point that the drummer showed up, and I played him back the tracks. He started RAVING about how great his drums sounded, how he'd never recorded so well and so on. He was sooooooo proud. Neither the engineer nor I had the heart to tell him that although it was still his performance, the only "sounds" that were his were the hi-hat and crash cymbals. He still is running around thinking he has the best-sounding recording kit in history. Ah...I feel better now. I'm still not telling the drummer, though. :D - Jeff

MIxerman, whether this shit is real or imagined it is funny as hell. I don't know how you find the time write it. I also think that you should be writing sit-coms for the network. (Maybe you already do) You have inadvertantly made a good case for digital. I do digital because [b]it is all I have[/b] . To own real studio means I would have to go back to spending most of my days doing exactly what you are writing about. Taking a bunch of shitty musicians and trying to coax a turd out of them that is polishable. Been there, done that. It is brain numbing and soul robbing (just like most of the music biz). Alsihad allows me to not have to work with musicians that I do not respect, or record songs that make me gag. Reading your stuff makes me glad that Alsihad is all I have.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Aw, damn. It's proof that I'm enjoying Mixerman's serialized tale when I am this disappointed that he was too tired to write after his all-nighter last night. I wouldn't have written either...I'm surprised he even had the energy to post that much. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]What!!! You have never had to edit in the crapper?[/b][/quote]No, but I have edited shit.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived