Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2012 by Rush

Jabinski

Sorry Dave - I know very few few Neil Peart songs.

I know lots of Phil Collins. I am impressed and moved by the music. Drum chops? I have no idea. Interesting cool stuff - it makes the music better. At least until it all turned pop ....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh...I guess I should've stated that my post above is merely my opinion. ;) Phil Collins can lay down a solid beat, no doubt. For me (given my background and what I grew up listening to), he just pales in comparison to someone like Neal Peart. There are hundreds or maybe thousands of drummers who sound like (or can sound like) Phil Collins. The only drummer who sounds like Neal Peart is Neal Peart. As I said, just my opinion however.

It's all good, and perfectly acceptable for anyone to like Phil's drumming better than Neal's...variety is the proverbial spice o' life. (And without it, we'd all sound the same!)

Cheers,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Oh yeah...what an incredible drummer Phil Collins was. :rolleyes:

I think I'll go learn every single rhythm and fill ever done by Phil Collins. OK, I'm done...next challenge? ;)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but IMO Neal Peart and Phil Collins aren't even on the same planet.

Dave

You obviously never listened to Genesis when Peter Gabriel was their singer. You also have obviously never listened to Brand X (as I see Jabinski mentions below). Phil Collins was an outstanding drummer before he started going into Pop Musicland and (self-admittedly) let his chops slip.

Go buy Unorthodox Behavior

and Selling England By The Pound

and Foxtrot

After digesting all that for a few weeks come back and give us your opinion of Phil Collins drumming.

Bump...it doesn't take me a few weeks to digest that level of drumming...try a few minutes.

OK, I've listened to all of the available samples. I do stand mostly corrected. I see that Phil Collins did indeed have some reasonable chops to deliver...nothing all that complex, but certainly considerably more impressive than the dumbed-down drumming during Genesis/Phil Collins pop era. So, I officially modify my opinion from this point forward. :cool: Thanks for keeping me honest guys (and for the suggestions on what to go listen to)...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I am just listening to the R30 CD's. I have to say that the lines that he plays are much less note for note then in the past. It is really nice to hear Getty and Alex being more expressive. I still think for all his greatness that Neil hasn't "mastered" the drums. He is tech alright, I am not sure that he has the feelling part "mastered". (Mastered was Neils statement not mine) For my part I hope that I don't ever "master" any insturment. I like the discovery of learning.

Granted it was many years ago and I'm more of a Genesis fan than a Phil Collins fan, but on two Genesis tours I did see Phil sit down with Chester Thompson on "Watcher Of the Skies" and it didn't seem like he was losing much of his skill. I can't really falt the guy for choosing to take care of his financial future by stepping away from the kit and become a frontman, that's what big money does to almost any artist.

As for Rush, I find it hard to judge individual ability when they've seldom traveled far from their comfort zone with each other for over 40 years. I did see Neil attempt to play like Buddy Rich on a tribute video, but then I did see the real BR once and, brother, NP has some homework to do. And I'm reluctant to explore any of Rush's solo albums as I'd expect them to be more Rush outtakes than anything different or progressive. (which I could say about a lot of solo artists and their albums, so they're not unique in that regard)

At the risk of sounding hypocritical (the R30 and RIR DVDs are both on my "to-buy" lists), why would a group risk artistic criticism when you can get "the big money" doing the same thing for as long as you can get away with it? :D

Nice reminder, I'd forgotten all about Brand X. Wasn't this a band lead by Phil Collins and he just pulled in artists who were around the studios at the time? Anyone know who the bass player was?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Granted it was many years ago and I'm more of a Genesis fan than a Phil Collins fan, but on two Genesis tours I did see Phil sit down with Chester Thompson on "Watcher Of the Skies" and it didn't seem like he was losing much of his skill. I can't really falt the guy for choosing to take care of his financial future by stepping away from the kit and become a frontman, that's what big money does to almost any artist.

As for Rush, I find it hard to judge individual ability when they've seldom traveled far from their comfort zone with each other for over 40 years. I did see Neil attempt to play like Buddy Rich on a tribute video, but then I did see the real BR once and, brother, NP has some homework to do. And I'm reluctant to explore any of Rush's solo albums as I'd expect them to be more Rush outtakes than anything different or progressive. (which I could say about a lot of solo artists and their albums, so they're not unique in that regard)

At the risk of sounding hypocritical (the R30 and RIR DVDs are both on my "to-buy" lists), why would a group risk artistic criticism when you can get "the big money" doing the same thing for as long as you can get away with it? :D

Except that they have evolved during there career. To the point that they pissed fans off when they went to more keyboards and the techy sounds they have explored. I still agree that NP has much more to learn. I find it hard to beleave that he really thinks that he has "mastered" it.

And the big money comment struck my funny bone. :D

I fail to see how anyone could ever make the claim of completely mastering their instrument. No matter how much you know or can do, there's always more to learn. I'm glad...I like learning.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Funny 2112-related story: Some friends of mine had a very tight rock cover band, and they played several Rush tunes. On set break one night, some drunk redneck came up to the bass player and slobbered, "Man, that Rush was fuckin' awesome! Can y'all play 'Temples Of Xanax'?" :freak:

Dave Sisk: As far as Phil Collins' drumming is concerned, I'll bet the words "Selling England By The Pound" mean nothing to you. They should.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived