Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2012 by Rush

Jabinski

Ok this has been one of my all time faves for....well, all time!

After a lay off due to illness, depression and work committments of about 1.5 weeks I picked up my bass today and had my second go at playing along to the 'All the Worlds a Stage' live version from 1976! (pardon the exclamation marks but the dude's just rediscovered the joy of music ok).

My prob since i've started playing again for a 7 year lay off has been that my hi fi has been broken for sime time and I've had no money to buy a new one yet. So i've had to use headphones to listen to tracks and play my bass amplified, which is hardly a pleasant way to do it. For me the sounds never mix properly and i never feel likfe I in the band at all.

For a while i've abbandoned playing along to tracks at all and have been concentrating on reading, scales, arpegios and my own little ideas.

Well today I just went for it with 2012 and whilst the note chioces are not too hard to figure out, there's lots of combinations of these choices to remember with rhythmic structures and it's still fairly challenging.

The point is that after going at it for some considerable time a smile went accross my face that hasn't been there for a while as i even got into Geddy's 3rds and the overall feel of his phrases during the solo passages.

It's about the simple joy of playing and I've rediscovered it.

Thanks for listening

P.S.

Why do I find 'Subdivisions' so hard??

I had to edit the post mainly due to my difficulty reading numbers properly :rolleyes:

I'm back in bass!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here - I actually learned a lot about guitar playing to 2112 when it came out. It's hard to find a rock musician from my generation that wasn't impacted by that particular recording.

The boys and I still goof on some of it at practice from time to time.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

i'm not surprised by the impact it had on you.

My entry into rock came from bands like Iron Maiden and Slayer.

I went straight to the heavy stuff from death metal and what not at he age of 15 before I got into other more mature forms. Later i found Rush.

I'm 29 now and there's no band I love more. i feel like i know the three of them persoanlly and 2001 :) is one rock tune that could represent rock music to aliens should they want to sample our arts prior to sucking our blood on a large scale.

I like all sorts of music but Rush have it all for me. That's not to say I like all their songs...

LizzyD - What do you make of Lakeside Park.....omg! I always pass on that track, but I love them for being so overtly quaint, really.

P.S. 'Anthem' is another great song but the live version on this album is much better IMHO than the studio one.

I'm back in bass!

Originally posted by LizzyD:

You do mean 2112, right? :D I used to listen to that side of All The World's A Stage a lot as a kid, before I even knew what a bass guitar was. It has a lot to do with my becoming a musician! :cool:

I thought that somehow this thread was about a hundred years off. Guess it wasn't the absinthe speaking. :freak:

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Jabinski:

My prob since i've started playing again for a 7 year lay off has been that my hi fi has been broken for sime time and I've had no money to buy a new one yet. So i've had to use headphones to listen to tracks and play my bass amplified, which is hardly a pleasant way to do it. For me the sounds never mix properly and i never feel likfe I in the band at all.

THIS , THIS and THIS should get you started nicely. You'll never regret it!

LizzyD - What do you make of Lakeside Park.....omg! I always pass on that track, but I love them for being so overtly quaint, really.

Yes, I must admit that is one of my least favorites...along with Madrigal and Rivendell! :eek:

Originally posted by LizzyD:

You do mean 2112, right? :D I used to listen to that side of All The World's A Stage a lot as a kid, before I even knew what a bass guitar was. It has a lot to do with my becoming a musician! :cool:

Darn! I was hoping that 2012 would be a prequel. The year that musical instruments were banned by the priests?

:D

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Hey guys, what's in a number anyway?

I didn't want to give the impression that I am going to stop practicing the serious stuff of reading, theory and excercises.

Does anyone have a job vacancy for a trainee accountant by the way?

I'm back in bass!

Why do I find 'Subdivisions' so hard??

Hmmm...perhaps because the song has quite a mix of odd time signatures ;)

The first half of the intro is in 7/8, the second half is in 4/4 (straight kick part), end of the intro is in 7/8. Where the vocal first starts it's back to 4/4, then on the following vocal section (same as the end of the intro), it's back to 7/8. I believe the chorus section is either in 9/8 or 7/4...I can't recall the complete chorus in my head right now to count it. Those guys are absolute masters of odd time signatures.

Try counting it all as 8th notes rather than quarter notes and see if that helps. (ie. 7/8 = one two three four five six sev, 4/4 = one two three four five six sev eight, etc.) You actually have to count odd time sigs, not just tap your foot. :P

Funny story...I was trying to give this same explanation to a guitarist I used to play with when we were learning Limelight (has a section in 7/4). The guitarist proceeded to count 7/4 this way (with each syllable even): one two three four five six seven. :freak:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You're joking, Pert is the most musical drummer in rock history. To my ears, the only drummer in the whole world who is more musical and swinging, is Billy Cobham.

Dave, can you tell me anything about the harmony is 'Subdivisions'? What's the chord structure, it sounds very simply indeed but playing playing along doesn't sound right yet.

Thanks for you comment about the time sig, I'll definately fiddle some more. I'm sure you're right that the counting is the hardest part of the tune and maybe that is creating an illusion that the harmony is tricky too...

I'm back in bass!

Jab:

No idea on the harmonies...sorry. I notated the drums to this entire song when I was a kid, which is why I knew the time sigs.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

My favourite Rush album is actually exit stage left which is 1981 I think.

I also like the way they changed over the years and have everything up to test for echo.

I like music from all eras.

I'm back in bass!

Originally posted by way2fat:

As for Rush, Neal Pert couldn't swing if you hung him. Even Genesis was better.

Oh yeah...what an incredible drummer Phil Collins was. :rolleyes:

I think I'll go learn every single rhythm and fill ever done by Phil Collins. OK, I'm done...next challenge? ;)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but IMO Neal Peart and Phil Collins aren't even on the same planet.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived