Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil's food-obsessed, I can't believe it. Of all the threads in all the world, his most contributed thread is about food. Maybe we'll have to find Phil another forum ...

Pie and chips is maybe steak and kidney pie or chicken pie and chips. A pie is a pastry casing, that's all. Usually puff pastry but other forms of pastry are used. I just had a steak and kidney pie and chips washed down with Badger Ale. Very agreeable now I mention it. Badgers, Tanglefoot, Adnams - you can't beat real ale. Doh, he's got me at it now ...

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

No!

Bubble and squeak is left over mashed potatoes and cabbage and other ingredients mixed together and fried (often for breakfast); hence 'bubble' os Cockney rhyming slang for Greek. I'm no expert on bubble and squeak so if anyone knows more.

Yes, I'm food obsessed.

Don't get me started on real ale!

Sorry, is this forum supposed to be something to do with bass? ;)

Not forgetting of course Beef and Onion pie.

I do believe our friends from East Londan actually call mushy peas liquer, and traditionally it's Pie and Mash and Liquer.

Of Course up north you would also have curry sauce on yer chips.

As you can see from Phil's photo, Chips are actually thick soggy French Fries. They do actually taste fantastic despite what they look like. (American Chips are called crisps in the UK)

Also Doner Kebab with chili sauce is a delicacy often eaten at then end of a good night out where several pints of ale, beer or lager have been consumed.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm Italian and, obviously apart from pasta and pizza, I particularly like french fries, fried with an egg and accompanied by sausage or german wurstel.

:wave:

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

That would be Sausage Eggs and Chips if ordered in an East London Cafe.

Originally posted by TimR:

Or you could order the sausage eggs spam bacon chips spam spam spam and lobster thermodore with not so much spam in it.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Monty Python is it Big Nose? Hey have you heard any music from Kino, Pete Trewais's band. I've downloaded the 4MB sample from their site and I'm definately going to get the CD.

But to keep the food thread: I prefer seet and sour chicken Hong Kong style as oposed to in balls.

Thanks Phil for the correction re liquor, I've never actually tasted it just heard it is the stuff of legends.

Monty Python is it Big Nose? Hey have you heard any music from Kino, Pete Trewais's band. I've downloaded the 4MB sample from their site and I'm definately going to get the CD.

I'm warning you- Call me Big Nose again and I'll thump you! Blessed are the cheese makers! (Food relation of this post)

And yes, the Kino album is quite enjoyable. When I first heard it, I thought it was as if Asia had lived up to it's full potential- pop enough, but proggy too; and the fact that John Mitchell & John Beck have backed up John Wetton shows in some of the songs. I want to get the "Cutting Room Floor" disk that has some live tracks, and alternate song versions with Pete doing vocals!

Back to the food discussion- it's lunch time! Have to run some errands and get a fast lunch; didn't bring one today. Maybe a Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken wrap? Or a Salad Nicoise from the mall. Choices are a good thing!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/yank2000/9/mushypeas.jpg

Is this before or after this was eaten?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I know it may be a bit less exotic but how about a nice Honey-turkey and pepper-jack cheese on a piece of good Italian bread with honey mustard.

It works easily as well with Virginia ham.

Or maybe some minestrone with a little tomato, fresh mozzarella, with salt, oil and vinegar, and of coarse a good piece of Italian bread on the side. You can't forget the bread.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

You can't forget the bread.
Amen to that!!!

It will surely be my downfall.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

We may have invented the sandwich, but I certainly like what America has done for it! I still think fondly of my lunchtime haunt in DC...

And a eulogy to the pig is in order - pork, gammon, bacon, ham (that's a whole thread in itself), sausages, et al - a Wonderful Magical Animal!

Alex

Phil, You're building yourself quite a reputation here. I actually get back to this thread every now and then to check up on your posts, they are such an enjoyable read.

I had a friend who used to visit the UK frquently and his mother learnt some english cooking too. She prepared something traditional she called 'kiesh'. It reminded me of pizza in a way and was delicious. I still remember it after all these years.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

Excellent suggestion, Tim.

I'll try it next time I go to London (still don't know when, though!)

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Originally posted by Phil W:

pho! :) some great pho in Vancouver BC. I love most kinds of noodle soup: ramen, soba, siu aap tong mein (roast duck soup noodle). There's a great little place in central London that does a cheap lunch special of udon/ramen and a nigiri sushi selection. My son is almost five, he always orders the salmon maki with no wasabi.

carne asada burrito :):):) - now you're talking!

My wife and I wait all year to be able to eat Mexican food, then we have the misfortune to stay in Pasadena which is seriously lacking in decent Mexican - unless you know different. Last summer we spent a few weeks going to daily kids coccer camps in a Mexican area and got a few restaurant tips to try next time though.

tamales can be great, usually from some marketplace or van somewhere..

Are you looking for really authentic mexican food?

There are a couple of places that I like a lot in my area. One is a modern kidn of take on classic mexican dishes, the otehr is of course the classic...LBJ.

I dig Pho, there's a good place right by my school, I try to get down there with friends several times a year.

Originally posted by Gab:

I had a friend who used to visit the UK frquently and his mother learnt some english cooking too. She prepared something traditional she called 'kiesh'. It reminded me of pizza in a way and was delicious. I still remember it after all these years.

i could be wrong, but that sounds like quiche, which is french (i could be wrong about that, too). was it sort of a low pie with vegetables, meat, and eggs?

robb.

Archived