Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

Enjoying the simple pleasures of some rotini with vodka sauce (let's not forget the pecorino romano), washed down with some wonderfully refreshing San Pellegrino. The appetizer? A wonderful gruyere and some walnuts.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love an egg sandwich. I don't think I've had an egg sandwich as good anywhere as in NYC. I fed myself a cholesterol bomb this morning (the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a roll) and it made me very happy.

Can you dig it?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Oh so tempting. I'm starving and two blocks away. How is that place? I rarely venture out of my cave for grub.

I went. I ate. I wasn't impressed.

Average sized burger (albeit tasty) with generic fries, for $10. I'd stick to Five Guys burgers/fries over Goodburger.

I might try a shake later though.

I love an egg sandwich. I don't think I've had an egg sandwich as good anywhere as in NYC. I fed myself a cholesterol bomb this morning (the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a roll) and it made me very happy.

Can you dig it?

Peace.

--SW

Not a Taylor Ham egg and cheese? (It's a Jersey thing)

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Oh so tempting. I'm starving and two blocks away. How is that place? I rarely venture out of my cave for grub.

Average sized burger (albeit tasty) with generic fries, for $10. I'd stick to Five Guys burgers/fries over Goodburger.

Go to the smoothie cart in front of Chase (corner of Nassau & Cedar). My fav is the Monkey Power (P7) $6 for a large but well worth it. Gloria's Mexican food cart ain't too bad either if you're a cheap bastard like me.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Ever try the Burger Joint in the lobby of the Parker Meridien Hotel? It's behind a curtain next to the reception desk in the main lobby. Excellent burger. Strange location. No long lines like Shake Shack.

If we're talking about NY burger joints, you've got to get Kozy Soup & Burger in the mix. They're at Broadway and Astor Place, and the burgers are phenomenal. Even if the place is typically full of NYU students.

Rocky, a vodka sauce is pretty simple to make. Start with a marinara sauce. Add in some heavy cream and vodka. Some recipes will have you add cheese to the sauce as part of the recipe (like this one). Traditionallly, this sauce is made with penne pasta. I prefer rotini because the spirals of the pasta hold more of the sauce and give it more flavor. Also, your choice of grating cheese matters. Parmesan is a standard for a lot of people, but I personally prefer pecorino romano. You should be able to find pecorino romano at most decent grocery stores.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

If we're talking about NY burger joints, you've got to get Kozy Soup & Burger in the mix. They're at Broadway and Astor Place, and the burgers are phenomenal. Even if the place is typically full of NYU students.

SCORE! Got into Manhattan last night for some record shopping and stopped into Kozy's. Had the blue cheese burger which was simply amazing.

SCORE! Got into Manhattan last night for some record shopping and stopped into Kozy's. Had the blue cheese burger which was simply amazing.

Nice! Now I must make the trip there, for the NYU students and the burgers ;)

High grade lean beef makes a horrible burger.

Rocky

Agreed completely Rocky. But anything below 80% is bloody hard to find in these parts. So I always grind it myself and thrown in about a slice of good thick cut bacon per pound of beef.

Takes care of the fat content. And the flavor is nice, not over powering.

Nice! Now I must make the trip there, for the NYU students and the burgers ;)

There are some good record shops in the neighborhood too, Rizz. And some of the NYU students make for good "people watching". :thu:

High grade lean beef makes a horrible burger.

Rocky

Agreed completely Rocky. But anything below 80% is bloody hard to find in these parts. So I always grind it myself and thrown in about a slice of good thick cut bacon per pound of beef.

Takes care of the fat content. And the flavor is nice, not over powering.

Heck yeah. "Squealers" is what they call those down here. Best burger I ever made.

• 3 months later...

Not earth shattering news and also a little late for St Patrick's day, but I made a killer corned beef last night. I used vegetable broth instead of water for the boil. And the braised red cabbage and apple was silly easy and good:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guys-big-bite-/braised-red-cabbage-recipe/index.html

I didn't do the allspice berries wrapped in cheesecloth. Just crushed up a couple and put them in. Does anybody actually have cheesecloth in their kitchen?

I'd make it again.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I haven't seen cheesecloth in ten years...

Back on the burger front, I had a very enjoyable one at Paul's da Burger joint on the corner of St marks and 2nd. With a cold bottle of root beer (made with pure cane sugar) to wash it down. Excellent.

St marks

Oh, what's that skanky bar...Down the half flight of stairs. Old, not McSorley's but almost as old....Damn it. Anyway I used to like that place.

Can you still spin The Cube on the square at St. Marks Place????

Ah, you guys are talking about my old stomping grounds! Actually, I still hang out in that area since a good friend of mine runs one of the few remaining record shops on St. Marks. And I think the burger place you're talking about might be right next door to my buddy's store Riz.

Paul: yes, you can still spin the cube that's in the square by Cooper Union. And the skanky bar that you're talking about? I get the feeling you might be talking about the Grassroots tavern. TREMENDOUSLY skanky, but a great place for a beer.

We used to go to NYC every year in Oct. I would head directly to Katz's Deli. Their spicy Salami is out of this world. I would always buy 10 lbs to take back to Texas.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

And the skanky bar that you're talking about? I get the feeling you might be talking about the Grassroots tavern. TREMENDOUSLY skanky, but a great place for a beer.

Yes, indeed. Grassroots Tavern. Deliciously skanky.

• 3 weeks later...

Spring is here. I cut the first asparagus of the season. Not enough for a meal, in fact just a tease. But homegrown asparagus none-the-less.

THat, and it's lawn mowing season :(

Archived